The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
No idea why they have gone for Felix beyond it helped them let Gallagher go

Felix must be close to being one of the most expensive flops in history and amazingly Atletico managed to get nearly £50mil for him

Chelsea really are a basket case of a club

We soon be punished for transfer issues under Abramovich and then prob further issues since under Boelhy

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be, if Chelsea agree to pay 75% of his wages :ROFLMAO: .

A big question for Sterling is how desperate is he to play or will he stay and pick up the money? Both parties may need to compromise a bit or they will both be stuck with each other.
Can’t understand a top class player not wanting to play every week.
Warm the bench and get top money.
Or move and get less but play more, no brainier for me.😳
He can’t need the money so enjoy your career it will be over in a tick.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe it's more about sticking the boot into the club and being annoying, when they've suddenly forced you out of the picture.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with you but history has shown enough players happy to sit back and count the money rolling in (some people never work out how much is too much). We will find out by the end of the month, see where he is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's more about sticking the boot into the club and being annoying, when they've suddenly forced you out of the picture.
He’s a footballer not a small child.
If he was playing brilliant they would not sell him but he hasn’t done that for a while.

Just move enjoy your football instead of all the infighting.
It’s a short career I would want to play more.

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s a footballer not a small child.
If he was playing brilliant they would not sell him but he hasn’t done that for a while.

Just move enjoy your football instead of all the infighting.
It’s a short career I would want to play more.
I suppose the question is, how enjoyable is football when you are doing it for a living, with all the criticism that goes with it? It is different to playing football down the park. I suppose the players that are still able to play week in, week out, will enjoy most of it, especially as they are big players at big clubs.

But, it might not be a lot of fun for players that could be on the decline, with more and more younger players coming through and challenging them every season. And, having played at the very highest level, maybe playing at a lower level side (even mid table in Premier League), doesn't seem like fun at all?

So, if you are on a contract of £325,000 a week until 2027 (around £10 million), it probably makes a lot of sense to stick out that contract as long as possible, and just hope you get chances to play, get a bit of form and force your way in. Rather than go to a mid table side, earn half the money and risk having to fight your way into the side there as well, as you maybe are not what you once used to be. Moving clubs would be a lot easier if they didn't earn such large amounts, but I'm sure even millionaires become accustomed to the amount of money they have, and adjust their lifestyles accordingly?

Plenty of players at Man Utd that have been impossible to get rid of because of their salaries. In fact, look at it the other way round: have there been many players earning Sterling sort of money who have happily terminated their contract a few years early, to go somewhere else at the fraction of the salary? I assumed these types of players would always be difficult to get rid of.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, if you are on a contract of £325,000 a week until 2027 (around £10 million), it probably makes a lot of sense to stick out that contract as long as possible, and just hope you get chances to play, get a bit of form and force your way in. Rather than go to a mid table side, earn half the money and risk having to fight your way into the side there as well, as you maybe are not what you once used to be. Moving clubs would be a lot easier if they didn't earn such large amounts, but I'm sure even millionaires become accustomed to the amount of money they have, and adjust their lifestyles accordingly?

By my reckoning that's nearer £50 million!

Swango1980

Visit site
By my reckoning that's nearer £50 million!
Doh!!!!!! Absolutely is. I accidentally worked it out as if it was his monthly salary. I should have realised my mistake, no one can live on £325,000 a month in this day and age :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, that £50 million enforces the point about footballers being reluctant to move clubs if it means slashing their income.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It’s ok saying you’d take a drop in wages to play football,but would you drop £200k pw?
Nah sorry I’m not having it.
Only way he leaves is if Chelsea pay some of his contract up to make up his losses imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose the question is, how enjoyable is football when you are doing it for a living, with all the criticism that goes with it? It is different to playing football down the park. I suppose the players that are still able to play week in, week out, will enjoy most of it, especially as they are big players at big clubs.

But, it might not be a lot of fun for players that could be on the decline, with more and more younger players coming through and challenging them every season. And, having played at the very highest level, maybe playing at a lower level side (even mid table in Premier League), doesn't seem like fun at all?

Plenty of players at Man Utd that have been impossible to get rid of because of their salaries. In fact, look at it the other way round: have there been many players earning Sterling sort of money who have happily terminated their contract a few years early, to go somewhere else at the fraction of the salary? I assumed these types of players would always be difficult to get rid of.
Yes get that.
I love golf but would not like to do it for a living.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
£50 million to sit on your arse and train 20 hours a week to stay fit for 3 years then off in to the sunset to live your best life, not sure what sucks about that tbh.
I guess the point is, what if you already have £40m in the bank, accept a cut, turn that £50m into £35m for the next 3 years (still huge money), and make extra memories. Players are a long time retired. Better to look back with a smile and pride rather than see that time as wasted.

You can sit on your backside towards the end of your career or afterwards. Surely Sterling is too young to be doing that now? (And of course he may not do)

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess the point is, what if you already have £40m in the bank, accept a cut, turn that £50m into £35m for the next 3 years (still huge money), and make extra memories. Players are a long time retired. Better to look back with a smile and pride rather than see that time as wasted.

You can sit on your backside towards the end of your career or afterwards. Surely Sterling is too young to be doing that now? (And of course he may not do)
Life is so short, in 3 years he could be gone and forgotten, go off and relax in style, who cares if he has 40 mill in the bank, another 50 won't go a miss, go and enjoy it, forget all those hating football fans and press people and go and have an amazing life instead all for just staying put for 3 years. There is so much to do and see in this world worrying about kicking a leather ball round a pitch while you get constant abuse is stupid. Go and have the best life ever.

Swango1980

Visit site

It depends what makes you feel proud. In Sterling's case, he has played for Liverpool and done very well at Man City.

The allure of playing for a mid table club may not be big enough to excite him? A definitive sign he is on the decline as well. As you say, you are a long time retired, so making as much money as possible in that short time may be the much bigger attraction.

Unless another club comes along, willing to match his salary pretty closely, it is difficult to see him moving. I think a lot of players like those longer lucrative contracts as well, guarantees a good few pennies, even if they get injured or start to decline.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Where does Sterling (and to a degree Chilwell) go from here. I think Chelsea will be sensible with offers (within a degree of reason) but the salaries are going to be a massive issue. From a selfish point of view Sterling would be the striker option we are missing but why blow the wage structure to pieces. I can't see Sterling wanting to take a massive drop so will he simply be picking up the cash each week to do nothing

Swango1980

Visit site
Where does Sterling (and to a degree Chilwell) go from here. I think Chelsea will be sensible with offers (within a degree of reason) but the salaries are going to be a massive issue. From a selfish point of view Sterling would be the striker option we are missing but why blow the wage structure to pieces. I can't see Sterling wanting to take a massive drop so will he simply be picking up the cash each week to do nothing
Would Chelsea be willing to pay him the difference in wages that an interested club would be willing to pay him, and what Chelsea would have paid him? Although, I still imagine that could be a huge amount. If a new club was willing to give Sterling £100,000 a week, that would mean Chelsea would need to give Sterling over £30 million to make up the difference, albeit they save £15-20 million in the longer run.

Perhaps a loan move somewhere, where another club can basically pay some of his salary?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would Chelsea be willing to pay him the difference in wages that an interested club would be willing to pay him, and what Chelsea would have paid him? Although, I still imagine that could be a huge amount. If a new club was willing to give Sterling £100,000 a week, that would mean Chelsea would need to give Sterling over £30 million to make up the difference, albeit they save £15-20 million in the longer run.

Perhaps a loan move somewhere, where another club can basically pay some of his salary?
It’s the contracts that need looking at.

Stupid contracts mean they as you say will pay him 30 or 50 million.
Good buisness says you let him go and just pay 30 mill.