The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't argue about too many players, but got to disagree with your GK. Is this not the same GK that everyone suggests is really weak at corners?

Trying to look at some stats, to see what I'm missing. His shot save % is 67.7%. That is lower than Alisson, Areola, Dubravka, Ederson, Kelleher, Leno, Muric, Onana, Ortega, Pickford, Pope, Raya, Sa, Sanchez and Verbruggen (it would have been quicker to list the keepers worse than him). In fact, of all the keepers to play at least 10 games, Onana has the highest save percentage, at 74.9%. Vicario is also far down the list in clean sheet percentage.

So, I'm really struggling to see a good justification in him being the best keeper in the league this year.
Bone of contention perhaps, but he was fouled for a few of those and the ref turned a blind eye. He probably does have a slight weakness with crosses, but I didn't see any keepers with no weaknesses this year.

On here: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats Vicario rates pretty highly in the saves v expected goals metrics. But then so does Onana. Vicario's 6th with Sa, Martinez, Pickford, Areola & Onana above him, as well as Pope but he's only played half the games. He is the second best at sweeping outside his area as well, which is vital with our insanely high line of course. As I said, probably the most debatable position as you could make a case for 10 different keepers.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
so a meaningless, post season friendly kickabout, in a far away land, ends in a 1-1 draw....

...and there's going to be a penalty shootout!!!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
IMG_7946.jpeg

They were talking about this on Overlap

It’s hard to see anyone apart from those

But what about if you include before football was invented by the Premiership

Who from

Bob Paisley
Howard Kendall
Brian Clough
Kenny Dalglish
Don Revie
Herbert Chapman
Bill Shankly
Matt Busby

Would get into the top 5 ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May be just my rose tinted specs from my Youth but not sure how you would rank Klopp above Liverpool managers like Paisley. Could argue that Klopp would not be in the top 3 Liverpool managers let alone top 3 on an all time list. Not having a dig but from my hazy memory you could argue for Paisley, Shankly and Dalglish above Klopp

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
May be just my rose tinted specs from my Youth but not sure how you would rank Klopp above Liverpool managers like Paisley. Could argue that Klopp would not be in the top 3 Liverpool managers let alone top 3 on an all time list. Not having a dig but from my hazy memory you could argue for Paisley, Shankly and Dalglish above Klopp

That’s exactly how I have it

I put Klopp alongside Fagan behind Shanks , Paisley and Kenny

Paisley won in 9 years

6 titles
3 European cups
UEFA Cup
3 league Cups

Staggering

Swango1980

Visit site
I find it impossible to rank managers that were present in different eras just like I have trouble doing the same to players. Even with great trophy halls, I find it impossible to really rate what their opposition was like compared to other eras.

For example, Neil Lennon won 10 main trophies with Celtic. However, it is fair to say that we'd all agree his competition wasn't amazing, so I doubt anyone would consider him as an all time great manager? (not even sure where he'd rank in the top managers in Scottish League?)

Easier to rank managers that competed in the same era, although even then they all have different problems at each club they are at to deal with. They all have their own individual strengths as well. Ferguson wasn't really a coach. He managed the players and the staff, and got the best out of everyone. He knew enough about football to know exactly what he wanted from the team in terms of tactics, but he'd let others coach the players. Whereas someone like Pep seems to be very much a hands on coach, but I'm not sure he'd be as hands on in other areas of the club that Ferguson was? Klopp is emotional and high tempo, and so when his teams are on it he seems to transmit that energy to his players. Mourinho was dogged, he could build a really tough group of players and got them prepared for battle every game, us against the world.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Truly believe this is another “impossible” list, similar to greatest player etc, it’s clouded by age and who you support.

People like Don Revie, Bill Nicholson, Harry Catterick won trophies in the 60’s & 70’s, Sir Matt Busby won loads.

I wonder how many of the modern managers would get on with the budgets relative to those guys had?

80’s onwards Paisley, Dalglish, Kendall, Clough, Graham and of course SAF.

Others, Bobby Robson, Sir Alf Ramsey.