The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
This summer is going to be very interesting not only with the euros but the managerial roundabout that is shaping up to be giving us a few shock appointments methinks .
I for one can see De Zerbi going to Chelsea. Southgate to yernited,
Potter in the England job,and McKenna in the Brighton job ,which will leave Ipswich needing a new one , Poch won't take it as they aren't big enough but moyes is available and would probably be able to keep them up .
So what are your thoughts.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Out of interest, who do folk on here think is the best current English manager at the moment.

Anyone say Gareth Southgate, your on ignore for a week.
Don’t rate any tbh.
But not sure who I’d go for to replace Southgate even if going foreign.
Just look at who Liverpool & appointed & who is linked with Chelsea.
Hardly exciting prospects on paper.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Out of interest, who do folk on here think is the best current English manager at the moment.

Anyone say Gareth Southgate, your on ignore for a week.
Nobody in all honesty, a few steady ones out there, I don’t think the top 6 would employ any of them.

We used to moan about Pardew, Allardyce, Hodgson etc being continually employed on the merry go round, now it’s the same foreign managers linked everytime a job comes up, that says a lot about the current English crop.

Eddie Howe could be the next decent one, but that’ll depend on the Newcastle injury list and them bouncing back.

As an Everton fan, Dyche has moved us forward as a team, but like Howe I think next season will be crucial.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Better than a lot of recent years. I'd have either at Everton (no, I'm not starting a Dyche out campaign 😄)
No Disrespect to Everton.
But both would be good appointments for them.
But it’s sad that we don’t have 1 English manager at the top of the pecking order when it comes to managers.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best I could think of in the last 30yrs were Venables and Robson. Neither won an English league title though.

We had a better era before then, Paisley, Clough, Kendall immediately spring to mind. Threadbare stuff though since the late 80's.
Hodgson didnt do too bad, he got the Swiss to third in the FIFA rankings

4LEX

Visit site
Is this the same amount of time very few people seem to want to give ETH?

How's that rebuilding job going after two years and £450m spent? Heading backwards, dressing room bust ups, no CL football, no progressive style and the lowest finish for 30 odd years.

Are you really surprised his time is up? Two years is a long time at one of the biggest clubs in the world, if the same level of performances had been achieved by a manager at Real, Barca or Bayern they wouldn't last 6 months.

4LEX

Visit site
You’re overlooking the Utd fans who want the team to play the same as Fergies did and will be vocal in their displeasure if they don’t and they aren’t winning everything.

To be fair I think Man Utd fans have been incredibly supportive of all the mamagers since Ferguson. In actual fact it's that support that has seen those managers get time they didn't deserve.

Just look at this season when they've been nothing short of a shambles and incredibly lucky to finish 8th. All the data puts them down in the bottom half yet the fans have hardly called for the managers head and have backed the team to unbelievable levels even when losing.

I think what Man Utd fans want is a clear style of play and progress year on year, they don't want doubles or trebles right away. There's a lot of good young players at the club and if they get Sancho or Greenwood back plus Rashford onside it won't take much for them to push for the top 3 next season. The most important move is getting the right manager in place.