The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair I think Man Utd fans have been incredibly supportive of all the mamagers since Ferguson. In actual fact it's that support that has seen those managers get time they didn't deserve.

Just look at this season when they've been nothing short of a shambles and incredibly lucky to finish 8th. All the data puts them down in the bottom half yet the fans have hardly called for the managers head and have backed the team to unbelievable levels even when losing.

I think what Man Utd fans want is a clear style of play and progress year on year, they don't want doubles or trebles right away. There's a lot of good young players at the club and if they get Sancho or Greenwood back plus Rashford onside it won't take much for them to push for the top 3 next season. The most important move is getting the right manager in place.
Sancho fought the manager, and you can't have players like that. And Greenwood.......really?

I know a cople of Utd fans very well, and both can't wait to see ETH gone as well as the above players off their books. Both are season ticket holders BTW

PaulMdj

Visit site
FIFA rankings 🤔 mmmmmm. He did a solid job at a number of clubs but I'm not sure I'm classing him as a top manager. Perhaps harsh but he didn't win trophies at the top level.
Yes, 😉 bit harsh mate, reached 2 European Finals, won trophies in Sweden, Denmark and Switzerland.

It was that grounding that got him to some top jobs.

Far better CV than some others who are rated above him.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
🗣️Arsene Wenger after Guardiola achieved 6 league titles in the last 7 years :

“The advantage of Pep is that he makes stars out of ordinary players. No one knew who Aki, Akanji, or Rodri was. Was Debruyne before Pep a star? Have you heard of Bernardo before him? Pep is the one who created these players from nothing and this is why he is the best coach of this generation 🐐

4LEX

Visit site
Sancho fought the manager, and you can't have players like that. And Greenwood.......really?

I know a cople of Utd fans very well, and both can't wait to see ETH gone as well as the above players off their books. Both are season ticket holders BTW

ETH called him out after a game which was wrong and Sancho responded via social media. Both in the wrong in my book. They were both too petty to move on and it's resulted in Sancho going to Dortmund and doing well, reaching the CL final and ETH on the brink of the sack. Bad management creating a problem from nowhere. It's also no different to Rashford turning up late and going on a bender in Ireland without permission, yet because Rashford is more important he was allowed back into the side.

Greenwood is a quality player. Regardless of what went on, if his missus has forgiven him and charges have been dropped then why can't he work again in this country? He's obviously not a nice person but he's done no worse than Gazza or Best who are held up as legends. Man Utd should have some bottle and bring him back.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
🗣️Arsene Wenger after Guardiola achieved 6 league titles in the last 7 years :

“The advantage of Pep is that he makes stars out of ordinary players. No one knew who Aki, Akanji, or Rodri was. Was Debruyne before Pep a star? Have you heard of Bernardo before him? Pep is the one who created these players from nothing and this is why he is the best coach of this generation 🐐

Blimey didn’t realise Wenger was that out of touch. 😂😂😂

Rodri and Silva both already internationals costing over £50mil having both starred for their club and county

Ake had played over 100 games for Bournemouth and also represented his country for 3 years before they spent £40mil on him

And Kevin BD was the clubs record transfer fee after being outstanding in Germany and for Belgium

None of those players were “ordinary” - they were all known internationals

The one player who I don’t expect many heard of was Akanji but again another international playing a significant amount of time in Germany

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Blimey didn’t realise Wenger was that out of touch. 😂😂😂

Rodri and Silva both already internationals costing over £50mil having both starred for their club and county

Ake had played over 100 games for Bournemouth and also represented his country for 3 years before they spent £40mil on him

And Kevin BD was the clubs record transfer fee after being outstanding in Germany and for Belgium

None of those players were “ordinary” - they were all known internationals

The one player who I don’t expect many heard of was Akanji but again another international playing a significant amount of time in Germany
I’m guessing you’re crediting Klopp with Salah’s success?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ETH called him out after a game which was wrong and Sancho responded via social media. Both in the wrong in my book. They were both too petty to move on and it's resulted in Sancho going to Dortmund and doing well, reaching the CL final and ETH on the brink of the sack. Bad management creating a problem from nowhere. It's also no different to Rashford turning up late and going on a bender in Ireland without permission, yet because Rashford is more important he was allowed back into the side.

Greenwood is a quality player. Regardless of what went on, if his missus has forgiven him and charges have been dropped then why can't he work again in this country? He's obviously not a nice person but he's done no worse than Gazza or Best who are held up as legends. Man Utd should have some bottle and bring him back.

ETH gave Sancho a load of time off to sort his head out and try and get back some semblance of form, sadly he’s wasted the opportunity and the only reason most United fans want him to do well in Dortmund is to ensure we get a decent fee for him. Personally don’t want him anywhere near the club again, just don’t need players like him. The big difference between Sancho and Rashford is that one apologised whilst the other was a child and decided to take to social media. ETH was right to hang him out to dry, Ferguson would have been no different. It’s largely players like Sancho who have caused issues over the years by thinking they are bigger than the manager and down tools. Ultimately it’s the manager who carries the can however should ETH go he should be followed out the door by at least a dozen of the players who have done similar to the last 4 managers.

4LEX

Visit site
ETH gave Sancho a load of time off to sort his head out and try and get back some semblance of form, sadly he’s wasted the opportunity and the only reason most United fans want him to do well in Dortmund is to ensure we get a decent fee for him. Personally don’t want him anywhere near the club again, just don’t need players like him. The big difference between Sancho and Rashford is that one apologised whilst the other was a child and decided to take to social media. ETH was right to hang him out to dry, Ferguson would have been no different. It’s largely players like Sancho who have caused issues over the years by thinking they are bigger than the manager and down tools. Ultimately it’s the manager who carries the can however should ETH go he should be followed out the door by at least a dozen of the players who have done similar to the last 4 managers.

What Rashford did was ten time worse than Sancho, yet fake apologies got him back into the side. Sancho had the balls to stand his ground and has gone onto better things this season. Rashford has sulked all season and done nothing, you tell me who responded in the right way?

You're forgetting Sancho is best on the right, yet ETH played Antony ahead of him even when he wasn't producing due to bias. Ferguson wouldn't have named anyone in an interview in the way ETH tried to blame Sancho for the Arsenal defeat.

Agree with you on player power getting out of hand, this was an issue in 2018 when Mourinho rightly called out a few players but the club picked the players. Everything that's followed has been a result of that. Due to the contract and wages situation, it's not easy to offload players. The damage Ole and ETH have done on that front will take another 2-3 years to recover from.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

How on earth is a manager who got relegated and was very poor in the Prem is getting one of the biggest jobs in Europe

Has he joined that -Lampard , Gerrard merry go round of ex top players getting jobs based on their name as opposed to their managerial ability
Not sure he truly had the tools at his disposal in terms of player quality to do anything to prevent relegation. If the players aren't good enough then the results will be poor. I work with someone that is a lifelong Burnley fan and the feeling is he is/was getting as much out of the quality of the side he could but they simply weren't strong enough for the PL

Why not Bayern. They are a big club and so aren't going to risk anything that stops a CL pursuit and league title. If he proves unable to cut it he'll get sacked. If not it may be an ideal place to prove his managerial ability and ideas

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not sure he truly had the tools at his disposal in terms of player quality to do anything to prevent relegation. If the players aren't good enough then the results will be poor. I work with someone that is a lifelong Burnley fan and the feeling is he is/was getting as much out of the quality of the side he could but they simply weren't strong enough for the PL

Why not Bayern. They are a big club and so aren't going to risk anything that stops a CL pursuit and league title. If he proves unable to cut it he'll get sacked. If not it may be an ideal place to prove his managerial ability and ideas
Didn’t he spend a fair bit of money at Burnley?
They were terrible all season.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Didn’t he spend a fair bit of money at Burnley?
They were terrible all season.

Bayern going in for Kompany is an odd one for me. Very little managerial pedigree, but then that hasn’t stopped Arteta doing a fine job with Arsenal.

I suppose the jury should wait for the evidence before passing judgement but it has rather come from left field.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bayern going in for Kompany is an odd one for me. Very little managerial pedigree, but then that hasn’t stopped Arteta doing a fine job with Arsenal.

I suppose the jury should wait for the evidence before passing judgement but it has rather come from left field.

I think it is clubs looking for anyone who has worked with or under Pep to see if they can get a bit of that magic at their club. Worked with Arteta and potentially with Enzo at Leicester and I guess that there is a hope that Kompany may have picked up a bit of the Pep way from his time at City.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think it is clubs looking for anyone who has worked with or under Pep to see if they can get a bit of that magic at their club. Worked with Arteta and potentially with Enzo at Leicester and I guess that there is a hope that Kompany may have picked up a bit of the Pep way from his time at City.
Surely Bayern already has loads of people who worked under Pep?