The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It’s a tough one to judge - he made his mind up and told the club and players and it was going to get out into the public domain so it was decided they would own it as opposed to letting the jungle rumours go on

But they announced it in November and then went on a great run until the last 4 weeks of the season , if the announcement had that much affect they why did it all wait 4 months before the loss of form which also came about when a few key players suffered injury

The announcement early gave the club lots of time to sort out everything above , there was no pressure on the players ( they weren’t expected to challenge anyway )

For me the announcement had very little to do with the club loss of form towards the end of the season
Why?
Klopp spent Big & for large parts of the season we were being told Liverpool were on for the quad.
Soon as they bottle it “they weren’t expected to challenge”
Sorry mate but 🤷‍♂️

PaulMdj

Visit site
I’ve seen this a number of times in business. A manager often gives 3 months notice, 6 months occasionally. Some of their employees lose focus, feel a bit insecure over the change or even look to move on themselves. It’s bad practice to announce leaving too soon, especially in the middle of a busy trading period - season in this instance. Typically, a business will employ a specific Change Manager to manage the process.

Personally, I think Liverpool made a big error in announcing his departure when they did.
Carragher said in an interview that they were keeping it in house, but it leaked to the press and rather than letting the press control the narrative they went public.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s a tough one to judge - he made his mind up and told the club and players and it was going to get out into the public domain so it was decided they would own it as opposed to letting the jungle rumours go on

But they announced it in November and then went on a great run until the last 4 weeks of the season , if the announcement had that much affect they why did it all wait 4 months before the loss of form which also came about when a few key players suffered injury

The announcement early gave the club lots of time to sort out everything above , there was no pressure on the players ( they weren’t expected to challenge anyway )

For me the announcement had very little to do with the club loss of form towards the end of the season

It should have been between him and his boss, and definitely not for the players. Once it went that wide it was always going to leak.

As I said, I’ve seen it on a good number of occasions, including my own staff when it got out I was on 6 months notice. The performance in the last month or so fell off a cliff. Staff were quiet, down and off the pace.

It’s a well documented phenomena, “storming, forming, norming…” and there’s a grieving process when someone moves on, and the group goes into a (re)forming process.

I’m not saying Klopp was the only reason Liverpool faltered but it will have played a part. How many points difference did it make?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It should have been between him and his boss, and definitely not for the players. Once it went that wide it was always going to leak.

As I said, I’ve seen it on a good number of occasions, including my own staff when it got out I was on 6 months notice. The performance in the last month or so fell off a cliff. Staff were quiet, down and off the pace.

It’s a well documented phenomena, “storming, forming, norming…” and there’s a grieving process when someone moves on, and the group goes into a (re)forming process.

I’m not saying Klopp was the only reason Liverpool faltered but it will have played a part. How many points difference did it make?

Guess that’s impossible to say really- maybe the initial announcement gave the players and squad a bit of boost and greater incentive for the season and they won games they really shouldn’t have ( there were a good number of last minute goals etc ) - so it might have earned more points

But Klopp was always going to tell the players , he would have never kept it from them , that’s not how he works - he is very much about the family and being all together as one

There is this perception from some that a lot of it was done because he was looking out for himself only but if anyone knows Klopp and how he is that’s as far from the person he is that you can get - it isn’t about him and never will be , it’s always about the club and the fans etc and the ceremony highlighted that more than anything ensuring all this staff were given the limelight.

I don’t think I have seen players emotional like that when a manager is going which shows to me the connection he had to them , the club and the city so any announcement and decision he made was done because he felt it was the best for the club, players and fans

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Guess that’s impossible to say really- maybe the initial announcement gave the players and squad a bit of boost and greater incentive for the season and they won games they really shouldn’t have ( there were a good number of last minute goals etc ) - so it might have earned more points

But Klopp was always going to tell the players , he would have never kept it from them , that’s not how he works - he is very much about the family and being all together as one

There is this perception from some that a lot of it was done because he was looking out for himself only but if anyone knows Klopp and how he is that’s as far from the person he is that you can get - it isn’t about him and never will be , it’s always about the club and the fans etc and the ceremony highlighted that more than anything ensuring all this staff were given the limelight.

I don’t think I have seen players emotional like that when a manager is going which shows to me the connection he had to them , the club and the city so any announcement and decision he made was done because he felt it was the best for the club, players and fans
You don’t know Klopp.
Just like no one else on the forum does.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not as many as VAR cost us!🙈

4LEX

Visit site
I’m so torn on Poch it’s unbelievable. Lovely guy, charismatic. But not a proven winner. I’m just not sure that getting rid of ETH and bringing in Poch isn’t a case of leaping from frying pan into fire.

It would be a huge upgrade. He has a style of football, creates a united dressing room, likes bringing through young players and would do well at Man Utd. His last two jobs at PSG and Chelsea have been the wrong jobs for him and the way he works. The job he did at Chelsea after a huge turnover of players, new signings (most of them terrible) has been impressive.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It would be a huge upgrade. He has a style of football, creates a united dressing room, likes bringing through young players and would do well at Man Utd. His last two jobs at PSG and Chelsea have been the wrong jobs for him and the way he works. The job he did at Chelsea after a huge turnover of players, new signings (most of them terrible) has been impressive.
Looked like he was turning it around at Chelsea,seen a few players come out singing his praises recently.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think Poch would work well at United providing he has time. There is a massive rebuilding job to be done with fresh blood needed and a change of thought and attitude. This can't be done in one or two transfer windows and fans need to buy into the longer term project

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think Poch would work well at United providing he has time. There is a massive rebuilding job to be done with fresh blood needed and a change of thought and attitude. This can't be done in one or two transfer windows and fans need to buy into the longer term project

I'm not disputing that he won't work well at United however your last couple of sentences were also true of ETH when he took over. As I said previously, I don't think we should get rid of ETH this season, I think he should be given one more chance whilst also giving INEOS the opportunity to sort things out behind the scenes. If things don't improve on the pitch next season then feel free to get rid which should also be at a point that the club is on a more even keel and any new manager won't be walking into the sort of rubbish that the previous 4-5 have.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'm not disputing that he won't work well at United however your last couple of sentences were also true of ETH when he took over. As I said previously, I don't think we should get rid of ETH this season, I think he should be given one more chance whilst also giving INEOS the opportunity to sort things out behind the scenes. If things don't improve on the pitch next season then feel free to get rid which should also be at a point that the club is on a more even keel and any new manager won't be walking into the sort of rubbish that the previous 4-5 have.

Going to be a heck of a lot of pressure on INEOS/Ratcliffe and understand they have alreyad ruffled a few feathers within the club

They have clearly done well in cycling , sailing and motorsports and the work ethic within those is outstanding - they know their stuff

But football is massively different , I know Brailsford will look to install a lot of processes but Ashworth or a football director will be key , one of Man Utd’s biggest issues is not have a proper football man above the manager and that role is huge

This next season and who they sign and let go is going to be massive for them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think if you look at the on and off field issues as two completely separate issues for the basis of this discussion, then we know there is expected to be a big clear out this summer. This will put pressure on ETH and the squad that is assembled to perform from the start of the season. However history has shown that sometimes a side with a few key signings can take time to gel. Will he get that time if things aren't going well by say the first international break?

As for the off field issues, then they need to have a clear transfer policy and players and staff are going to have to buy in to a new, and according to some reports rigid working environment. Again will people be able to flourish in such surroundings. I still think United are a long term project and I don't know if time is going to be an option on and off the field