Stones
Gomez

TAA
Rice
Bellingham

Foden
Kane
Palmer
I think it is almost impossible to see him not picking Saka in the starting line up

And, personally, I'd rather see Foden in the middle, alongside Bellingham.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
At long last Southgate has shown a backbone and decided not to waste squad places on two players who simply don’t deserve spots on merit. Long, long overdue.

I do wonder if this is GS accepting that this may be his last shot at winning something with the national side, and him realising that he can’t do that if 2 of his final 26 are passengers. Every one of that final squad has to be in it because they can contribute on the pitch.

As for Rashford, I hope he doesn’t blame Southgate, ten Hag or anyone else. He needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, because this can now go one of two ways. It’ll either be the kick up the backside he needs, or else his career will simply drift and end up being another case of a god given talent wasted.

Billysboots

Visit site
Just seen Paul Merson’s take on the Rashford omission on Sky. I’ve never been a huge fan of Merson, who tends to get over emotional a lot of the time and talk gibberish, but his comments just confirm what a plank he really is.

I agree when he says that “steady Eddies” who turn in 7/10 performances every weekend probably don’t win you tournaments. You need someone who can put in an unplayable performance, produce that bit of magic and produce a 9/10 or better. Rashford, claims Merson, is that man.

Sorry, but has he actually watched Marcus Rashford this season? He has been absolutely dreadful week in, week out for months. And whilst I accept the occasional moment of brilliance is in his locker, his derby goal against City showing that, there surely has to be a modicum of form on show in the weeks and months prior to a tournament. Rashford has absolutely none.

GS simply could not justify a place for him, certainly not in the final 26, when he has a wealth of attacking talent at his disposal. Talent which is bang in form.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just seen Paul Merson’s take on the Rashford omission on Sky. I’ve never been a huge fan of Merson, who tends to get over emotional a lot of the time and talk gibberish, but his comments just confirm what a plank he really is.

I agree when he says that “steady Eddies” who turn in 7/10 performances every weekend probably don’t win you tournaments. You need someone who can put in an unplayable performance, produce that bit of magic and produce a 9/10 or better. Rashford, claims Merson, is that man.

Sorry, but has he actually watched Marcus Rashford this season? He has been absolutely dreadful week in, week out for months. And whilst I accept the occasional moment of brilliance is in his locker, his derby goal against City showing that, there surely has to be a modicum of form on show in the weeks and months prior to a tournament. Rashford has absolutely none.

GS simply could not justify a place for him, certainly not in the final 26, when he has a wealth of attacking talent at his disposal. Talent which is bang in form.
Merson clearly only watches highlights programs. So, sees a 5 minute feature of Utd game, where nearly every Utd attack features Rashford (as he only ever tries to score directly from getting ball) and remembers the odd worldy, like against City.

He won't see the other 50 times in a game where Rasford runs into brick walls, nor will not see him when Utd are defending as he isn't in the wide-screen camera shot (except when Barkley walked rings round him)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

To help you solidify the view - Agbonlahor was of the same opinion that both Rashford and Sterling should be in the squad instead of Toney and Palmer

He is a clown of the highest order and trumps Merson for football stupidity

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

The beautiful thing is that we have players whose very minimum week in week out is 7/10 - that's on an off day. They more often produce magic taking them to a 9/10. Rashford aint got either. Merson's brain is mush.

Our main problem is a manager who sets said players up to play 7 out of 10 and not risk the 9. That's heartbreaking.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On that squad and talent, it’s impossible to look past England to win it.
As a Scotsman, I’d love to take something of Germany and getting out of the group stages would be a massive achievement.

Billysboots

Visit site
To help you solidify the view - Agbonlahor was of the same opinion that both Rashford and Sterling should be in the squad instead of Toney and Palmer

He is a clown of the highest order and trumps Merson for football stupidity

Sometimes I wonder whether these pundits are trying to be edgy and controversial, or if they’re just as thick as mince.

I’m going for the meaty option.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So apparently Poch is leaving Chelsea.
Dread to think who his replacement will be.

May I suggest Vincent Kompany? According to the media anyway, he has achieved huge success at Burnley and will no doubt go on to achieve even greater things at bigger clubs. Can’t think of a better choice.