The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Let's hope he's not another Woy šŸ¤­

You can't be overly impressed with this appointment though? Do you think it's more of a caretaker role until you can nab Alonso next summer?

There isnā€™t huge list of top level managers waiting to be snapped up

Clubs will now need to be taking risks for the next top managers coming through

Previous big managers have gone into other clubs and had issues

For us the structure is there , the club is in a great place , there squad is in a good place

Slot has had a very good start to his career - did very well at AZ before going to Feynoord

Think he will surprise a few

4LEX

Visit site

For us the structure is there , the club is in a great place , there squad is in a good place

Slot has had a very good start to his career - did very well at AZ before going to Feynoord

Fair point on the manager situation.

Would disagree on the squad though. Feel the defence is a bit suspect, midfield too lightweight and the attack has looked off the pace. Klopp did well to get you so many points in the circumstances. Salah looks like his head has gone, Nunez can't hit a barn door and a few of the other signings don't look like title winning players. Reckon Top 3 at best for the next few years.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Totally agree, but on the other hand will he be given time to put his team together or expected to go along with Kloppā€™s style?

A lot of the talk about him has been how he is similar to Klopp, whilst that is an enormous ā€œpat on the backā€ it could be a poison chalice!

Iā€™m sure there are some of the top managers that could of been persuaded to join yous, the risk being, if Slot gets it wrong, how much pressure does it put on the next guy?

Look at Utd since SAF left, succession of managers and winning cups is not enough.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Totally agree, but on the other hand will he be given time to put his team together or expected to go along with Kloppā€™s style?

A lot of the talk about him has been how he is similar to Klopp, whilst that is an enormous ā€œpat on the backā€ it could be a poison chalice!

Iā€™m sure there are some of the top managers that could of been persuaded to join yous, the risk being, if Slot gets it wrong, how much pressure does it put on the next guy?

Look at Utd since SAF left, succession of managers and winning cups is not enough.

He will get his time to develop the squad to how he wants it working alongside Hughes , his style isnā€™t hugely different to Klopps with a few tweaks which may help some of the players

As for the top managers that could be persuaded - who are they ? The top managers are Pep , Klopp and Ancelotti

And there is no guarantees but imo the club and team is in a better place than what ORN left United

PaulMdj

Visit site
He will get his time to develop the squad to how he wants it working alongside Hughes , his style isnā€™t hugely different to Klopps with a few tweaks which may help some of the players

As for the top managers that could be persuaded - who are they ? The top managers are Pep , Klopp and Ancelotti

And there is no guarantees but imo the club and team is in a better place than what ORN left United
On paper it looks OK, but the bloke is coming in to one of the biggest clubs in the world and how much time he is given will be crucial, imo.

Utd had just won the PL and from the outside looked stable, yes they had a few older players on the way out, and the results didnā€™t instantly come.

I believe Slotā€™s biggest challenge will come from what players leave, rather than who he brings in.

Swango1980

Visit site
Rumours in several papers that Rashford to be left out of Euro squad. Not sure a) if we can believe the papers, b) Southgate would be that ruthless given his penchant for picking favourite players regardless
I think I heard his initial squad could be up to 30 players. If so, I can easily see him pick a few bang out of form players like Rashford, just to see how they are in a different environment. See if they can perform to levels he has liked when they've been at England. He can then still give them the chop when he announces his final squad.

I'll be interested to see if he selects Luke Shaw. No idea what his injury status is. I'm guessing he'll struggle to get a pick, but would he be a player he takes a gamble on in his initial squad?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
On paper it looks OK, but the bloke is coming in to one of the biggest clubs in the world and how much time he is given will be crucial, imo.

Utd had just won the PL and from the outside looked stable, yes they had a few older players on the way out, and the results didnā€™t instantly come.

I believe Slotā€™s biggest challenge will come from what players leave, rather than who he brings in.

The club have spent a lot of time putting in a structure to support him - there is prob a lot more pressure on people like Edwards and Hughes to ensure Slot has the tools

At the moment itā€™s not looking like too many will be leaving and think the only two that will need replacing is the lads that left on a free -

Players like - Mo and VVD I canā€™t see leaving and both on social media appear to be clear about next season and going again , can see both getting 2 year extensions and then TAA will prob be offered a big boost.

And unless someone like Diaz wants to leave I canā€™t see anyone else going

So can really only see two maybe three arriving in rhe summer - a CB and a CM

His style is a 4-3-3 but with more of a double pivot which will suit TAA to step in

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I continue to be baffled....

Burnley spent Ā£150m over the last two seasons. They won a total of two home games all season and spent the ENTIRE season in the relegation zone. But still Kompany is treated like some sort of genius.

Seriously, has he got the entire footballing world under some sort of mind control spell?!?!?!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There is progression with everything in life, so managers donā€™t instantly become top managers, they grow into that status.All too often itā€™s forgotten that SAF was almost sacked by UTD but he threw the dice and played so many ā€˜kidsā€ and won the game (Norwich I think it was) that kept him in place, and also started the journey.

PaulMdj

Visit site
There is progression with everything in life, so managers donā€™t instantly become top managers, they grow into that status.All too often itā€™s forgotten that SAF was almost sacked by UTD but he threw the dice and played so many ā€˜kidsā€ and won the game (Norwich I think it was) that kept him in place, and also started the journey.
SAF had also had a lot of experience, including winning a European Trophy, he was also lucky enough to start in a period when managers where given a chance.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with all the best intentions, certain aspects will be out of Slots control.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Itā€™s good to see Southgate giving chances to the younger players , hopefully Elliot can also get a call up

He prob has a massive amount of riches that many other managers would dream off - will he have the ā€œballsā€ to be brave

Looks like Chilwell is missing as well and Wharton is getting a call up

Great need to hear that Quansah will be getting called up , he has the potential to be a star for England

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From Sky Sports and I have to disagree. If he hasn't played enough shouldn't be in

Chilwell suffers another England blow​

You have to feel for Ben Chilwell.
He didn't play a minute of Euro 2020. He had to self isolate after interacting with Billy Gilmour during the group game against Scotland, who was Covid positive.
Chilwell then missed the Qatar World Cup with injury.
Now, his Euro 2024 omission comes after he's suffered a reaction to playing twice for England in March, playing only 12 minutes of football since.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
From Sky Sports and I have to disagree. If he hasn't played enough shouldn't be in

Chilwell suffers another England blow​

You have to feel for Ben Chilwell.
He didn't play a minute of Euro 2020. He had to self isolate after interacting with Billy Gilmour during the group game against Scotland, who was Covid positive.
Chilwell then missed the Qatar World Cup with injury.
Now, his Euro 2024 omission comes after he's suffered a reaction to playing twice for England in March, playing only 12 minutes of football since.

I also disagree, but because he's flipping useless!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Huge question marks over this appointment for me. His CV is pretty uninspiring and he's had one impressive season in 3 at Feyenoord. That level is miles off even Germany, let alone the likes of La Liga and the PL.

The only thing you can say is the set up off the pitch at Liverpool is a lot better than Man Utd, so they've surely done some research data and style wise and he's the best fit from the Klopp mould.

It would be interesting to hear from Liverpool fans on this appointment and the expectations over the next few years?
Has there been a single manager that's come straight from Eredivisie to Premier League and done well? I can't recall one.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
What skysports are saying is that they feel Chilwell has been unlucky when it comes to international football and when you look at his record he has been unlucky - his latest injury happened on International duty

It looks like there is no point Southgate having an official announcement when SSN are announcing all the players that are in and those that are out šŸ˜‚

Out

Henderson
Chilwell
Rashford
Shaw

In

Jones
Gomez
Wharton
Eze
Quansah
Mainoo

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Huge question marks over this appointment for me. His CV is pretty uninspiring and he's had one impressive season in 3 at Feyenoord. That level is miles off even Germany, let alone the likes of La Liga and the PL.

The only thing you can say is the set up off the pitch at Liverpool is a lot better than Man Utd, so they've surely done some research data and style wise and he's the best fit from the Klopp mould.

It would be interesting to hear from Liverpool fans on this appointment and the expectations over the next few years?
I'm with you. Seems to treated like a managerial genius in Holland but what has he done aside from one season at Feyenoord. At least he has a decent starting squad to work with and not working into a role like Old Trafford and dealing with the carnage EtH has created and will leave