The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Guess it shows the manner of the man when the talk is about Klopp as opposed to who won the title - even City fans talking about him

Seen a few tweets that say 61% of Sky Sports viewers watched Klopp leaving as opposed to 21% watched City lift the trophy

Some will always point to 1 title etc etc

But as said early- his legacy will be in the journey and the comparison between the team he took over to one he leaves is night at day

He took over a team mid table , built it up over a few years ( what most teams without oil money needs to do ) then was successful with that team. It then goes through a transition and it’s rebuilding again now

There is far too many now just looking or expecting instant success when it’s rare without unlimited money

Stats show him amongst the best the premier league has seen
1 title tho Phil 🤷‍♂️

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Against a City side that’s been spending, and cheating, for 14 years. I think he and Liverpool have done remarkably well.

And think on the players City have brought in that have also ended up as no better than squad players.
Cheating…..
At the moment, guilty of nothing, and that has to be taken into consideration.
It’s easy to say you’ve spent millions etc, but you’ve still got to get the job done.
On Liverpool, I thought Mane was a massive loss and they never fully recovered from losing him.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He only challenged City for that period of 3 seasons.

It is a myth that Liverpool have been toe to toe with City since Klopp's arrival. It has been Arsenal that have challenged City the last 2 seasons.

Think you’re being a bit harsh there. 5th last season but no worse than 4th for at least 6-7 seasons.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Against a City side that’s been spending, and cheating, for 14 years. I think he and Liverpool have done remarkably well.

And think on the players City have brought in that have also ended up as no better than squad players.
Think you need to be careful about accusations there.

Swango1980

Visit site
Think you’re being a bit harsh there. 5th last season but no worse than 4th for at least 6-7 seasons.
Is finishing 4th defined as going toe to toe with Man City.

Since arriving, Liverpool have finished:

8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 3rd

So, I can't argue they played at a very high level when they finished 2, 1, 2. But, outside those 3 seasons, I wouldn't call them spectacular, that's for sure

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cheating…..
At the moment, guilty of nothing, and that has to be taken into consideration.
It’s easy to say you’ve spent millions etc, but you’ve still got to get the job done.
On Liverpool, I thought Mane was a massive loss and they never fully recovered from losing him.

I think Wijnaldum was also a massive loss, not replaced. A constant in the side and a solid performer

Pin-seeker

Visit site

So, I can't argue they played at a very high level when they finished 2, 1, 2. But, outside those 3 seasons, I wouldn't call them spectacular, that's for sure
Spot on.
Pep v Klopp rivalry is a myth.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

And never forget that their one title has an asterisk against it as it was the Covid season. (y) ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re City and Europe.Its a strange one. we have come close so many times and won it just the once. Bit like Klopp and the premier league. If that’s the comparison, I certainly wouldn’t say we have dominated Europe. Yup we have had one excellent season which culminated in being world champs. But Real Madrid have been the main team in that time. Managing to grind out results against all odds. Even against us.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

👏

samthom99

Banned
Visit site
Re City and Europe.Its a strange one. we have come close so many times and won it just the once. Bit like Klopp and the premier league. If that’s the comparison, I certainly wouldn’t say we have dominated Europe. Yup we have had one excellent season which culminated in being world champs. But Real Madrid have been the main team in that time. Managing to grind out results against all odds. Even against us.
European football is a diffrent beast. We've had 1 final under Wenger in nearly 20yrs, does that diminish his acheievements as Arsenal manager?
Ferguson went to 3 finals in nearly 25yrs and won 2. Klopp has been to 4 and won 1?