The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Just heard Pep's interview with Linekar, he metions Feguson and Klopp 1st, maybe the pep v Klopp isnt a myth afterall.
Of course he'll mention Klopp. He's the really the only other manager of note in his era, so he isn't going to say "Klopp is an average manager"

If I managed a side that beat England in the Euro final, I'd mention Southgate being one of the greatest managers of all time. Makes my achievements look all the better :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
13th place for Fulham. Not a bad overall season especially losing Mitrovic very early on and little chance of finding a suitable replacement. Some rebuilding needed for sure with Toisin certain to go as a free agent. Would love a stronger defence and ideally an out and out striker as still not sure Muniz or Jimenez are the solution at this level

Swango1980

Visit site

Going to be very hard for players and managers to complain about tiredness and too many games when clubs do this
On the face of it, it definitely sounds crazy. And, I personally think it is.

Although, the only mitigation I can think off is that the clubs and players will treat it very much like a 4 or 5 day holiday (bit like how I feel going for a golf break). They'll arrive at a luxury hotel, chill out for most of it. No real training apart from a light kick about, and then play a half-hearted friendly while they are there. Probably getting a nice massage every 5 minutes and fed like a king.

If the alternative was to hang around my house for 5 days, I'd probably be lounging on my sofa on the Playstation and eating lots of cakes :ROFLMAO: .

When do the England squad actually meet up? I think the preliminary squad is announced tomorrow?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On the face of it, it definitely sounds crazy. And, I personally think it is.

Although, the only mitigation I can think off is that the clubs and players will treat it very much like a 4 or 5 day holiday (bit like how I feel going for a golf break). They'll arrive at a luxury hotel, chill out for most of it. No real training apart from a light kick about, and then play a half-hearted friendly while they are there. Probably getting a nice massage every 5 minutes and fed like a king.

If the alternative was to hang around my house for 5 days, I'd probably be lounging on my sofa on the Playstation and eating lots of cakes :ROFLMAO: .

When do the England squad actually meet up? I think the preliminary squad is announced tomorrow?

Got 2 weeks till the CL final, some maybe before then with Jude joining later?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Going to be very hard for players and managers to complain about tiredness and too many games when clubs do this
Ah but it is not too many games, it is too many games that are not profitable enough or do not publicise the brand enough. Pre season tournaments and post season exhibition matches on the other side of the world or in important markets are fine, mid week winter FA cup replies away against at third division team or Caribao Cup matches clearly are not.

Ah to be back in the good old days when pre season friendlies were matches against the local lower league teams.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah but it is not too many games, it is too many games that are not profitable enough or do not publicise the brand enough. Pre season tournaments and post season exhibition matches on the other side of the world or in important markets are fine, mid week winter FA cup replies away against at third division team or Caribao Cup matches clearly are not.

Ah to be back in the good old days when pre season friendlies were matches against the local lower league teams.
In Championship Manager I used to book my friendlies against the teams with the funniest names. Pre-season tour of Bolivia to face such titans as Always Ready, Blooming and The Strongest perhaps?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

4LEX

Visit site
Huge question marks over this appointment for me. His CV is pretty uninspiring and he's had one impressive season in 3 at Feyenoord. That level is miles off even Germany, let alone the likes of La Liga and the PL.

The only thing you can say is the set up off the pitch at Liverpool is a lot better than Man Utd, so they've surely done some research data and style wise and he's the best fit from the Klopp mould.

It would be interesting to hear from Liverpool fans on this appointment and the expectations over the next few years?

4LEX

Visit site
No it is not, it's naive that you believe it otherwise.

These rules only benefit the top teams the elite, it does nothing for anyone else except restrict them joing the top. While they may be a by product of the rule that is useful in fooling the gullible the only reason for these, the same as the Euro League, is to keep the so called big boys at the top and restrict anyone else from joinging them. It is likely to effect other people buying teams looking at the restrictions already in place at Newcastle. Why would anyone with obscene amounts of money by Bournemouth or Palace knowing they would be screwed at joing the top tier or have to hope in 15 years they get there while those at the top continue to grow the gap as well. It's like asking Turkeys to vote for the Xmas menu for the next ten years and letting the Chicken and Beef in to vote as well but restricting anyone else then wondering why we can't have Turkey, Chicken and Beef at Xmas.

I mean really come on, clubs still go bust still, drop out, getting treated appaling by their owners, have dodgy owners and so own regardless.

Bournemouth's entire success has been bankrolled by billionaires by the way. They invested it all before FFF kicked in though and they've since run the club a lot better.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Bournemouth's entire success has been bankrolled by billionaires by the way. They invested it all before FFF kicked in though and they've since run the club a lot better.
That whole thing shows that financial fair play is not up to it. Teams that have spend a lot years ago go on about how they are not spending but we all know they are living if the money that they buttered in before the rules changed. There are memes all over FB showing that team XYZ has zero net spend over the last x seasons, just capped to that point where they spent a fortune.

Maybe a hard cap is the way to go. Any team can spend £xyz, doesn’t matter where it comes from, but you can’t get a single pound above.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Huge question marks over this appointment for me. His CV is pretty uninspiring and he's had one impressive season in 3 at Feyenoord. That level is miles off even Germany, let alone the likes of La Liga and the PL.

The only thing you can say is the set up off the pitch at Liverpool is a lot better than Man Utd, so they've surely done some research data and style wise and he's the best fit from the Klopp mould.

It would be interesting to hear from Liverpool fans on this appointment and the expectations over the next few years?
Must admit I have never heard of him.
I don’t watch Euro footy.
Am sure the club has done its homework

4LEX

Visit site
Must admit I have never heard of him.
I don’t watch Euro footy.
Am sure the club has done its homework

Let's hope he's not another Woy 🤭

You can't be overly impressed with this appointment though? Do you think it's more of a caretaker role until you can nab Alonso next summer?

Last edited: