The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

As a supporter of one of the clubs whose fans engage in some of this chanting, it would be fair to say that when it happens it’s invariably reciprocal - United/Liverpool, United/Leeds and such like. I don’t recall fans of clubs like Brentford, Leicester, Southampton and so on chanting about Munich.

Personally, I’ve long since accepted that the occasional unpleasant chant is part and parcel of attending football matches. It doesn’t bother me. It bothers me even less when, wrongly it must be said, United’s fans are giving as good as they get. I’m not saying two wrongs make a right, merely that I accept that’s how it is.

There genuinely are more important things to worry about.

the difference for me is - this was a tragedy that affected the fans , fans died going to a football match through no fault of their own. For years mud was thrown with accusations of murdering their own fans etc and even when the truth was known it still doesn’t sink in for some

It’s not banter , it’s not rivalry - the families of some of those who lost their lives still go to the game and to hear opposing fans using people dying as some sort of chant to wind others up is imo abhorrent and needs to be stopped asap -those families spent decades trying to show who was at fault and for some it was the most important part of their lives for those 20 years

It should never be “part and parcel” of football , that’s accepting it , it’s not “part and parcel” of any other sport.

Far too many brush it off and use reasoning like - it’s just words and it’s only a minority and that allows it to continue

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
the difference for me is - this was a tragedy that affected the fans , fans died going to a football match through no fault of their own. For years mud was thrown with accusations of murdering their own fans etc and even when the truth was known it still doesn’t sink in for some

It’s not banter , it’s not rivalry - the families of some of those who lost their lives still go to the game and to hear opposing fans using people dying as some sort of chant to wind others up is imo abhorrent and needs to be stopped asap -those families spent decades trying to show who was at fault and for some it was the most important part of their lives for those 20 years

It should never be “part and parcel” of football , that’s accepting it , it’s not “part and parcel” of any other sport.

Far too many brush it off and use reasoning like - it’s just words and it’s only a minority and that allows it to continue

I agree with the vast, vast majority of what you say, Phil. But we’re never going to rid the game of it I’m afraid.

I see two choices. We either accept it, albeit grudgingly. Or we stop following the game we all enjoy so much.

I’m not going to let the Neanderthals win, and neither should those affected by the dreadful events at Hillsborough.

Billysboots

Visit site
Brendan Rodgers sacked by Leicester

Long overdue. I’ve got friends and family who are season ticket holders and they have been desperate for this day for a long time. His brand of football is turgid, and he can no longer blame recruitment as most of the squad are now his players.

The aspect of Leicester’s performances which really drive it home how poor a manager Rodgers is must be their woeful inability to defend set pieces. In the short term you can perhaps blame the players, but it has become their stock in trade. The buck for that stops with the coaching staff and, therefore, the manager.

Massively overrated. So Spurs will doubtless come calling.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be an interesting few months for Newcastle fans. After the Saudi Public Investment Fund told the PL that there was no government involvement in PIF they are now telling the American courts in the LIV/PGA dispute that there is government involvement and that's why they shouldn't have to make documents available to the PGA.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/wh...pfCv3xvIwdtAbFnYoiLV6JQyqqOoszspGAx1DkWT24P40

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with the vast, vast majority of what you say, Phil. But we’re never going to rid the game of it I’m afraid.

I see two choices. We either accept it, albeit grudgingly. Or we stop following the game we all enjoy so much.

I’m not going to let the Neanderthals win, and neither should those affected by the dreadful events at Hillsborough.
I think it’s easy to say but very hard to do unless understanding how affected some where

I think a first step would be for their fellow fans to actually condemn the actions - many just ignore it because they don’t want to face the reality of how poor it is

Long overdue. I’ve got friends and family who are season ticket holders and they have been desperate for this day for a long time. His brand of football is turgid, and he can no longer blame recruitment as most of the squad are now his players.

The aspect of Leicester’s performances which really drive it home how poor a manager Rodgers is must be their woeful inability to defend set pieces. In the short term you can perhaps blame the players, but it has become their stock in trade. The buck for that stops with the coaching staff and, therefore, the manager.

Massively overrated. So Spurs will doubtless come calling.

The situation with Rodgers does highlight the fickle nature of the sport and how you’re only as good as your last game

He has been there for 5 seasons - his finishes so far have been 9th , 5th , 5th and last season 8th -plus a FA Cup very good for a club like Leicester and when looking at that he has done a very good job

I don’t think he is a top manager but he is clearly very good and proven it. Would prob do a good job at Spurs

Billysboots

Visit site
The situation with Rodgers does highlight the fickle nature of the sport and how you’re only as good as your last game

He has been there for 5 seasons - his finishes so far have been 9th , 5th , 5th and last season 8th -plus a FA Cup very good for a club like Leicester and when looking at that he has done a very good job

I don’t think he is a top manager but he is clearly very good and proven it. Would prob do a good job at Spurs

BUT, whilst an FA Cup may be seen as good for a set up like Leicester, this is still a club which won the title as recently as 2016, and has competed in Europe, with some degree of success, in recent years.

Most I know who follow the club closely will tell you that Rodgers has taken Leicester backwards, by some distance when you consider some of the players at his disposal. This is a club which, under the stewardship of the current chairman and his late father, has been wonderfully run. As a Manchester United fan I am green with envy when I see the togetherness at Leicester City. And don’t even start me on their training facilities, which are now absolutely world class.

Yes, there have been some financial constraints in the last year or so, largely because of the huge outlay on the training facilities, but a finish in the European places is no longer to be regarded as Leicester punching above their weight.

As such, their current plight is beyond unacceptable. He’s been extremely lucky to have lasted as long as he has.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think it’s easy to say but very hard to do unless understanding how affected some where

I think a first step would be for their fellow fans to actually condemn the actions - many just ignore it because they don’t want to face the reality of how poor it is

or they just go to watch the football,then have other things going on in their life.
I don’t actually hear it on the TV 🤷‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If youre a fan of one of the other sides in the relegation battle, watching Wham v Saints should be very encouraging

Always the way, will raise for big games but struggle against the teams in and around

Glad we managed to claw our way past and now have Newcastle and Fulham in the space of the week

Knowing us 3 points Newcastle then stall draw to Fulham when whilst their flying they have mitrovic out

D

Deleted member 15344

Could be an interesting few months for Newcastle fans. After the Saudi Public Investment Fund told the PL that there was no government involvement in PIF they are now telling the American courts in the LIV/PGA dispute that there is government involvement and that's why they shouldn't have to make documents available to the PGA.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/wh...pfCv3xvIwdtAbFnYoiLV6JQyqqOoszspGAx1DkWT24P40

Every man and his dog knew that the Saudi Government was involved in PIF - it shows how poor their “owner test” is

Their new owners rules will end up being toothless as well

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always the way, will raise for big games but struggle against the teams in and around

Glad we managed to claw our way past and now have Newcastle and Fulham in the space of the week

Knowing us 3 points Newcastle then stall draw to Fulham when whilst their flying they have mitrovic out

I dont get it, Southampton were horrendous, you score from a set piece then gradually got deeper and deeper and deeper, more men behind the ball, to cling on to 1-0 when you should have more than enough to put a side like that away at home comfortably rather than give them a chance as you did. At no point do you try and control the ball or the game once you go in front.

Have said all season think you have way too much to go down but today would really worry me if I was a West Ham fan, despite you getting 3 points

At least youre better against the better sides, should work well for your run in ;) remind me what is moyes record against the top 6?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont get it, Southampton were horrendous, you score from a set piece then gradually got deeper and deeper and deeper, more men behind the ball, to cling on to 1-0 when you should have more than enough to put a side like that away at home comfortably rather than give them a chance as you did. At no point do you try and control the ball or the game once you go in front.

Have said all season think you have way too much to go down but today would really worry me if I was a West Ham fan, despite you getting 3 points

At least youre better against the better sides, should work well for your run in ;) remind me what is moyes record against the top 6?
normal top 6 tho not adjusted top 6 lol

bowen hit the bar but after that moyes just wanted the 3 points

enough is enough regardless if we stay up or not we need someone fresh in the summer