The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The BBC aren't his employer, he's freelance so therefore a contractor

Semantics - I believe the majority of their sports presenters are freelance as most work for multiple channels. But they pay him a salary, so if they have a code of conduct he should expect to have to adhere to it, contracted employee or otherwise.

RichA

Visit site
It's all a matter of perspective.
He's a sports presenter commenting on what he sees as a human rights issue on his own Twitter feed in his own time.
The BBC News is frequently spoon-feeding us editorial opinion dressed as news, but that seems to be acceptable.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He's a sports presenter commenting on what he sees as a human rights issue on his own Twitter feed in his own time.
The BBC News is frequently spoon-feeding us editorial opinion dressed as news, but that seems to be acceptable.

Absolutely, see Fiona Bruce defending a wife beater on Question Time last night.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Semantics - I believe the majority of their sports presenters are freelance as most work for multiple channels. But they pay him a salary, so if they have a code of conduct he should expect to have to adhere to it, contracted employee or otherwise.
If he did it on the MOTD set and it was broadcast I would agree. But in his own time from his own home? The BBC don't own him or control his personal life.
I suspect the BBC expected him to apologise and back down. Who looks worse now?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

That’s a little simplistic, Rich. Lineker is an intelligent fella and will be very aware that, as a media personality, even his private Twitter feed is very much in the public domain and as such his comments will be subject to scrutiny by a broadcasting body which pays him an eye watering sum to present for them.

It’s no different to the rest of us. The number of my ex colleagues who got into strife for their use of social media was staggering, despite repeated warnings.

Swango1980

Visit site
If he did it on the MOTD set and it was broadcast I would agree. But in his own time from his own home? The BBC don't own him or control his personal life.
I suspect the BBC expected him to apologise and back down. Who looks worse now?
This is true. However, if I posted something from my own twitter account from my own home, but it went against my company's social media policy, or my golf club's, then I'd expect it to be brought up. Could get me into trouble.

We know what the BBC expects, but I am also sure it is very difficult for them to enforce consistently as everyone has opinions. I expect this is why Lineker had got away with it for so long.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What is the industry standard for his role?

Whats funny is the BBC chief man gave a massive donation to a certain organistaion, yet Lineker cant have an opinion 🤔

There is a certain irony that the people who have been complaining about cancel culture just got someone cancelled.

Also see the decision by the BBC not to broadcast David Attenborough’s programme about wildlife destruction in case it upset certain factions.

Swango1980

Visit site
Blame the woke brigade.
Note sure this is about woke, in fact I think some would consider Lineker in the woke side of the fence.

More about sharing political opinions, when you work for an organisation famous for trying to be neutral. If he was a political commentator, and this was his expertise, then I'm sure the BBC could invite him to debate his opinions with someone with different views. But, that won't happen, as he is employed to be a high profile sports presenter. Given they won't be asking him to debate his views on MOTD with Shearer or Wright (who has also stepped down in support incidentally), then they are left with a high profile guy on the pay role, who appears anything but neutral.

Just felt he had been walking a tightrope for a while. Maybe he felt untouchable after so long with the BBC, and probably one of the best paid?

D

Deleted member 1147

There is a certain irony that the people who have been complaining about cancel culture just got someone cancelled.

Also see the decision by the BBC not to broadcast David Attenborough’s programme about wildlife destruction in case it upset certain factions.
Which factions?
I’ve not heard about this, why may it be upsetting?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which factions?
I’ve not heard about this, why may it be upsetting?

The BBC has decided not to broadcast an episode of David Attenborough’s flagship new series on British wildlife because of fears its themes of the destruction of nature would risk a backlash from Tory politicians and the rightwing press, the Guardian has been told.
The decision has angered the programme-makers and some insiders at the BBC, who fear the corporation has bowed to pressure from lobbying groups with “dinosaurian ways”.
The BBC strongly denied this was the case and insisted the episode in question was never intended for broadcast.
Lord Attenborough’s highly anticipated new series, Wild Isles, looks at the beauty of nature in the British Isles.
Narrated by David Attenborough, it is expected to be a hit, with five episodes scheduled to go out in primetime slots on BBC One.
A sixth episode has also been filmed, which is understood to be a stark look at the losses of nature in the UK and what has caused the declines. It is also understood to include some examples of rewilding, a concept that has been controversial in some rightwing circles.
The truth about Britain’s wildlife crisis is stark: the timid BBC must let David Attenborough tell it loud and clear | Geoffrey Lean
The documentary series was part-funded by nature charities the WWF and RSPB, but the final episode will not be broadcast along with the others and will instead be available only on the BBC’s iPlayer service. All six episodes were narrated by Attenborough, and made by the production company Silverback Films, responsible for previous series including Our Planet, in collaboration with the BBC Natural History Unit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2...c-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

D

Deleted member 1147

The BBC has decided not to broadcast an episode of David Attenborough’s flagship new series on British wildlife because of fears its themes of the destruction of nature would risk a backlash from Tory politicians and the rightwing press, the Guardian has been told.
The decision has angered the programme-makers and some insiders at the BBC, who fear the corporation has bowed to pressure from lobbying groups with “dinosaurian ways”.
The BBC strongly denied this was the case and insisted the episode in question was never intended for broadcast.
Lord Attenborough’s highly anticipated new series, Wild Isles, looks at the beauty of nature in the British Isles.
Narrated by David Attenborough, it is expected to be a hit, with five episodes scheduled to go out in primetime slots on BBC One.
A sixth episode has also been filmed, which is understood to be a stark look at the losses of nature in the UK and what has caused the declines. It is also understood to include some examples of rewilding, a concept that has been controversial in some rightwing circles.
The truth about Britain’s wildlife crisis is stark: the timid BBC must let David Attenborough tell it loud and clear | Geoffrey Lean
The documentary series was part-funded by nature charities the WWF and RSPB, but the final episode will not be broadcast along with the others and will instead be available only on the BBC’s iPlayer service. All six episodes were narrated by Attenborough, and made by the production company Silverback Films, responsible for previous series including Our Planet, in collaboration with the BBC Natural History Unit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2...c-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears
Sounds like censorship to me

RichA

Visit site
That’s a little simplistic, Rich. Lineker is an intelligent fella and will be very aware that, as a media personality, even his private Twitter feed is very much in the public domain and as such his comments will be subject to scrutiny by a broadcasting body which pays him an eye watering sum to present for them.

It’s no different to the rest of us. The number of my ex colleagues who got into strife for their use of social media was staggering, despite repeated warnings.
I get what you're saying, but he's a sports presenter and, for want of a better word, a celeb who happens to have opinions that fall on the human rights side of centre.
What he is not is a law maker, law enforcer or instrument of the state. What about his freedom of speech and freedom of expression? He's not reading the news.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard to say the BBC are wrong with Lineker having been given a stern warning not to do this.

we have been warned not to post political opinions on this forum .So we don’t or we face the Fragger
It’s quite simple. They pay his wages so do as they ask or leave !