The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but he's a sports presenter and, for want of a better word, a celeb who happens to have opinions that fall on the human rights side of centre.
What he is not is a law maker, law enforcer or instrument of the state. What about his freedom of speech and freedom of expression? He's not reading the news.

I don’t disagree, but I think the key here is that the BBC is a public service broadcaster. And we both know how public service works!

It’s noteworthy that BT Sport, the other broadcaster which Lineker works with, do not appear to have any issue, publicly at least, with what he has been up to on social media.

Swango1980

Visit site
I get what you're saying, but he's a sports presenter and, for want of a better word, a celeb who happens to have opinions that fall on the human rights side of centre.
What he is not is a law maker, law enforcer or instrument of the state. What about his freedom of speech and freedom of expression? He's not reading the news.
I suspect freedom of speech only protects us from being executed or put in prison. Not sure it protects us from consequences of other people's reactions.

I could go around slagging off my golf club if I thought it was rubbish, but they might ban me for my words.

It's a minefield, as I definitely don't believe in cancel culture. But, if you are clearly saying things that go against company policy, and adamant you will continue after being warned, then you shouldn't be surprised if they take firmer action. If they didn't, the BBC might as well openly decide none of their employees need to try and remain neutral.

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyway - back to football as opposed to politics

So when will Conte be sacked ?

Is it a Spurs issue - Mourinho wins trophies everywhere he goes - goes wrong at Spurs

Conte wins everywhere he goes - goes to Spurs - all falls apart

What’s going wrong there -spend loads , bring in quality players

RichA

Visit site
I don’t disagree, but I think the key here is that the BBC is a public service broadcaster. And we both know how public service works!

It’s noteworthy that BT Sport, the other broadcaster which Lineker works with, do not appear to have any issue, publicly at least, with what he has been up to on social media.
One of the things that I find difficult to explain is that for as long as I can remember the BBC have had many serving politicians of all stripes on shows for which they have been paid an appearance fee. When they're on TV they don't hold back their opinions.
I struggle to see why Lineker attracts so much ire for doing something completely legal in his own time.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things that I find difficult to explain is that for as long as I can remember the BBC have had many serving politicians of all stripes on shows for which they have been paid an appearance fee. When they're on TV they don't hold back their opinions.
I struggle to see why Lineker attracts so much ire for doing something completely legal in his own time.
Is there a mortgage application in the offing?

D

Deleted member 1147

They ought to ask Alistair Campbell
A good presenter who loves watching the mighty Burnley.

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Probably because he is employed by the BBC and only to present tv programs and give his opinions on football. Whereas the politicians are not employed by the BBC but are specifically paid to present their views.