The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't watch Liverpool games in the detail a Liverpool fan would. But, remember quite a few dodgy moments from VVD this season. A Liverpool fan I was with last night feels VVD has had a huge drop in form and it seems to be a common theme when you hear Liverpool's problems discussed in media
Yes he has but like any footballer he’s not machine.
he’s part of a team that’s lost form ,it happens.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When it comes to some leadership on the pitch then it doesn’t worry me - Milners age doesn’t seem to affect his fitness level etc and Henderson was excellent at the World Cup. The midfield has always for Klopp being more about functional and energy.

We do have some young centre mids through the squad

The recent transfers have been about refreshing the front three - midfield will be next

Well he knew that we would be looking for a refresh over the next couple of seasons and had no issues signing a new contract so I can’t see him going anywhere

As a club we can only spent what me make - over the last 3 windows they have used the money to refresh the front 3 , im sure all clubs would love to be in a position to have enough finances to bring in more each window but we can’t and work with it - Midfield will be next and then the back line etc

The drop in form will be down to a number of reasons including injuries to key players and the affect of last season- we as a club have been going toe to toe with City over the last 5 years and it will have an affect. Fully confident that we will go again
Have you not watched Liverpool lately?
Milner looks a mile off the pace when he’s played,legs have gone.
Henderson had a decent WC I’ll give you that,but maybe that’s because Southgate knows how to get the best out of him 😊
He’s not been good for Liverpool.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Emerson Royal had a very good game today, that’s the best I’ve seen him play.
Hojberg was immense and I like the way he gets the players to step up when we set too deep.
Let’s hope there’s no complications with Conte’s recovery 🤔😁

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still raging with VAR.

Agreed, you don't want to get in a position to have the ref make a decision. However, to me that is don't slap, punch, go head to head or kick opponents. Asking for trouble.

However, when things inevitably kick off between 2 players, I do like to see a team that at least stick up for their team mate. Get involved, try and break things up, stop opponents getting in the face of your team mate. For me, that is just part and parcel of that team spirit. Just don't try and hurt anyone.

In relation to the incident, Casemiro simply put his hands up to block Hughes who was charging at him. He didn't slap him, punch him, kick him or head butt him. Hughes was never in danger of being injured, in the slightest. Had Casemiro strangled him, or slammed him to ground, fair enough. But Hughes would have been angered even more. Whereas after Casemiro let go, the situation was completely diffused between the pair

It angers me that I watched a 10 minute interview with Howard Webb, the day before, who said he didn't want the VAR to get involved in subjective decisions, but made mistakes last week. Suddenly the VAR was getting involved. It was like they were looking for something. The video they showed the ref was only the moment Casemiro had his hands on Hughes, and did slow motion back and forth on that brief moment. Didn't show the full incident, where the context was completely different. Nor the camera angle from other side. They completely ignored Ayew ram his hand into Fred's throat at pace.

It is shocking. Sometimes I wonder that, if they don't get involved they feel "what is the point in me being paid to be here if I have no influence on game". Then as soon as something happens, they are trigger happy. They then get criticised, so following week they will just ignore anything, even if a player gets a double leg break from a nasty challenge. Then just repeat the cycle

I'd have loved to hear VAR and the onfield ref talk to each other. I'd love to hear how they saw that as violent, and why VAR only chose a fraction of a second of incident. Why on field ref didn't ask for a longer time frame to see how at risk Hughes was. Did he ask for another angle.

I think it is also telling that not even Hughes was screaming for any sort of punishment, as he didn't even think anything of it. Given players will shout for tamest of things, that should have been an indicator it was nothing.

If you read the definition of violent conduct in the rules, it is not an automatic red simply by having a hand in face or throat. It is if they "strike" the opponent, unless the force is negligible. Which is why I have even seen players get away with a little slap to the opponents face before. They put themselves at risk, but thankfully for them, ref sees it as "handbags". Casemiro didn't even strike the player.
Someone slapped Ayew across the face so I am not suprized he was a bit upset.
showed it on MOTD last night.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well I can’t understand Peps thinking today

Arsenal slip up giving City the chance to bridge the gap a bit more and he goes with some random formation, his new young left back as a holding mid i think and no KDB

Can’t recall one real decent City chance

Really strange all round from Pep

And Spurs helping out Arsenal 😂

That's the only disappointment, great result for Spurs but a shame that it helped the Gooners.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes he has but like any footballer he’s not machine.
he’s part of a team that’s lost form ,it happens.
That is, indeed, true.

However, few gave Harry Maguire that slight defence, when he was part of an absolutely shambolic team around him.

Of course, Maguire was part of that shambolic team, and therefore should be subject to criticism. Same with VVD. Although, despite his less than ideal form, I guess he is still much stronger than the other defenders in the side, whose performances have been abysmal (again, probably in large part to the terrible performances by the midfield and forwards)?

D

Deleted member 15344

Must be your non HD TV, there was nothing wrong with the sound. Suggest you get an update. Have a look in Costco, they’ve got some crackers 😉

Just to confirm it wasn’t a criticism about the fans etc - it just sounded like the fake stuff they put on and yep HD Telly with sound bar and surround sound etc etc 😁

Swango1980

Visit site
Have you not watched Liverpool lately?
Milner looks a mile off the pace when he’s played,legs have gone.
Henderson had a decent WC I’ll give you that,but maybe that’s because Southgate knows how to get the best out of him 😊
He’s not been good for Liverpool.
Pogba was usually great for France, which is why he was never criticised for his performances in a Utd shirt... :)

D

Deleted member 15344

I seem to recall Liverpool went through a really dodgy patch when VVD was last out injured.

Are they a 1 man team at the back?

We lost 3 CBs to season ending injuries as well as losing Jota and Thiagos when we last had a major drop in form - we had to rely on two youth players at CB

A VVD on form is the best CB in the world and him being out would affect any team

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can’t see Harry Kane beating Alan Shearer’s 260 Premiership goals. He’s 30 in July and 60 goals behind.
In addition Shearer was playing and scoring pre premiership days, so how many extra goals would that be

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can’t see Harry Kane beating Alan Shearer’s 260 Premiership goals. He’s 30 in July and 60 goals behind.
In addition Shearer was playing and scoring pre premiership days, so how many extra goals would that be

20 a year is only until hes 33, injury permitting think he'll sail past (assuming he doesnt go to Munich this summer ;) )

D

Deleted member 15344

Can see him beating it if he avoids any major injury issues for the next 3 years - 60 in four seasons should be achievable

Even more so when he may leave to Utd

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
City showing exactly why Arsenal are favourites for the title. It would be easy to say that Spurs are a bogey team but that’s been a normal performance all season. 😖

Swango1980

Visit site
He could well play until he is 36+ if he stays fit, especially as he isn't a player who relies on pace.

Average of about 10 a season? Seems possible.