The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trent has always been bad at defending,hence his lack of England caps.
Gomez and Matip are disasters waiting to happen.
I bet VVD is faking injury because he doesn’t want to play 😀
Watch what TAA does for the second goal.
he’s marking the guy who scored,
he moves towards the goal line while the scorer moves to the ball, really poor.
but he’s never been a natural defender imo ,he’s ok in 1 to 1s
he would be better in midfield and buy a good fullback.

Swango1980

Visit site
If by that you mean not playing yes.
but he’s injured, that’s half the problem.
I don't watch Liverpool games in the detail a Liverpool fan would. But, remember quite a few dodgy moments from VVD this season. A Liverpool fan I was with last night feels VVD has had a huge drop in form and it seems to be a common theme when you hear Liverpool's problems discussed in media

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
At long last caught up with the United game from yesterday and my view on the Casemiro red card? Harsh, if I’m honest. If the referee is sending Casemiro off for that (and the angle not depicted in Phil’s still image confirmed the grab was actually a fistful of shirt, not throat), then he should have been sending off as many as half a dozen players.

It’s the inconsistency which is so infuriating.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At long last caught up with the United game from yesterday and my view on the Casemiro red card? Harsh, if I’m honest. If the referee is sending Casemiro off for that (and the angle not depicted in Phil’s still image confirmed the grab was actually a fistful of shirt, not throat), then he should have been sending off as many as half a dozen players.

It’s the inconsistency which is so infuriating.
The moral of the story is that when the pushing and shoving starts, step away from it. Nothing ever really happens, it's always pretty pathetic, the only outcome is either a yellow or red card for those involved.

From one camera angle it's a red, from another it's a yellow. Don't get involved and it's neither.

Swango1980

Visit site
The moral of the story is that when the pushing and shoving starts, step away from it. Nothing ever really happens, it's always pretty pathetic, the only outcome is either a yellow or red card for those involved.

From one camera angle it's a red, from another it's a yellow. Don't get involved and it's neither.

Still raging with VAR.

Agreed, you don't want to get in a position to have the ref make a decision. However, to me that is don't slap, punch, go head to head or kick opponents. Asking for trouble.

However, when things inevitably kick off between 2 players, I do like to see a team that at least stick up for their team mate. Get involved, try and break things up, stop opponents getting in the face of your team mate. For me, that is just part and parcel of that team spirit. Just don't try and hurt anyone.

In relation to the incident, Casemiro simply put his hands up to block Hughes who was charging at him. He didn't slap him, punch him, kick him or head butt him. Hughes was never in danger of being injured, in the slightest. Had Casemiro strangled him, or slammed him to ground, fair enough. But Hughes would have been angered even more. Whereas after Casemiro let go, the situation was completely diffused between the pair

It angers me that I watched a 10 minute interview with Howard Webb, the day before, who said he didn't want the VAR to get involved in subjective decisions, but made mistakes last week. Suddenly the VAR was getting involved. It was like they were looking for something. The video they showed the ref was only the moment Casemiro had his hands on Hughes, and did slow motion back and forth on that brief moment. Didn't show the full incident, where the context was completely different. Nor the camera angle from other side. They completely ignored Ayew ram his hand into Fred's throat at pace.

It is shocking. Sometimes I wonder that, if they don't get involved they feel "what is the point in me being paid to be here if I have no influence on game". Then as soon as something happens, they are trigger happy. They then get criticised, so following week they will just ignore anything, even if a player gets a double leg break from a nasty challenge. Then just repeat the cycle

I'd have loved to hear VAR and the onfield ref talk to each other. I'd love to hear how they saw that as violent, and why VAR only chose a fraction of a second of incident. Why on field ref didn't ask for a longer time frame to see how at risk Hughes was. Did he ask for another angle.

I think it is also telling that not even Hughes was screaming for any sort of punishment, as he didn't even think anything of it. Given players will shout for tamest of things, that should have been an indicator it was nothing.

If you read the definition of violent conduct in the rules, it is not an automatic red simply by having a hand in face or throat. It is if they "strike" the opponent, unless the force is negligible. Which is why I have even seen players get away with a little slap to the opponents face before. They put themselves at risk, but thankfully for them, ref sees it as "handbags". Casemiro didn't even strike the player.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The idea of sticking up for your team mate is macho nonsense, and false. Your team mate isn't in any danger, he isn't going to get punched, he isn't going to get kicked. He might get a push, might get a pull of a shirt, but that's it. Leave the two of them alone, let it fizzle out.

If 5 of the opposition pile in, leave them, let them take the cards. Be professional, it's not pub football.

Swango1980

Visit site
The idea of sticking up for your team mate is macho nonsense, and false. Your team mate isn't in any danger, he isn't going to get punched, he isn't going to get kicked. He might get a push, might get a pull of a shirt, but that's it. Leave the two of them alone, let it fizzle out.

If 5 of the opposition pile in, leave them, let them take the cards. Be professional, it's not pub football.
I don't think so. You send a message to your team mate you have his back. When team mates know that you will all stick up for each other it can have a hugely positive impact. Whereas, if you have 5 or 6 opponents charging down a team mate, and everyone just walks away, it just sends a message that "you are on your own"

No matter how annoying Antony is. I suspect he'll be reminded again not to be a show boat. Just asking for an unnecessary situation.

What is macho nonsense is then swinging a punch at an opponent, or going forehead to forehead, etc. All of that is ridiculous, I agree.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another good win for Forest. Giving Chelsea hope that, one day, they might he able to find 11 players who can play as a team

Took a few months but it’s possible with the right man at the helm! Navas loan looking like a masterstroke already. Really showed his class today and kept us in the game in the 1st half.

Second half was much more controlled. Always nice to beat dirty Leeds.

Swango1980

Visit site
Casemiro can ponder the benefit of having Anthony's back for the next 3 matches, sat in the stand 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm sure he will spend the time pondering why he is in the stand, for being sent off for violent conduct for one of the least acts of violence that have been seen on a football pitch :)

Mind you, keeps him fresh for EFL Cup final I guess. If Utd can manage to get through the next 3 PL games with positive results, luckily no harm done. Except for a complete lack of faith officials will ever come close to any vague level of consistency. That is a problem all teams will face I guess.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is Pep tinkering for such a big game and also having KDB on the bench 🤷‍♂️