The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That's not quite true. VVD for £85 million in 17/18, Allison for £62.5 million and Keita for £60 million in 18/19.

They've also had several over £40 million in that time that I would class as big money signings, Mane £41m, Salah £42m, Fabinho £45m, Jot £45m, Diaz £47m, Konate £40m all since the 16/17 season so they haven't exactly been frugal with their transfer spending.

Yes, it's all money generated by the club through selling players or TV money but they've still been spending big money in the last few years.

I never said they don’t spend big, I said they don’t do it often and not for a number of years - specifically 3/4/5. VVD is currently in his 6th season, the other two their 5th so I’m pretty bang on ?

40m is the going rate for a quality player these days, I just accept that personally, you may not but that’s opinion, other clubs have spent far more on individual pieces than Liverpool have. Chelsea, United, City being the biggest 3. I mean just look at Chelsea over the last 2 seasons….

And that was the original point, with new money they can do more of the big money moves and be less self sustainable than they currently are as the owners will pump in the money year after year.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can’t see
I never said they don’t spend big, I said they don’t do it often and not for a number of years - specifically 3/4/5. VVD is currently in his 6th season, the other two their 5th so I’m pretty bang on ?

40m is the going rate for a quality player these days, I just accept that personally, you may not but that’s opinion, other clubs have spent far more on individual pieces than Liverpool have. Chelsea, United, City being the biggest 3. I mean just look at Chelsea over the last 2 seasons….

And that was the original point, with new money they can do more of the big money moves and be less self sustainable than they currently are as the owners will pump in the money year after year.
Darwin Nunez ?‍♂️?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jesus has had knee surgery and gonna be out for a decent chunk of time :( not the best of news

Be interesting to see if they try and buy, recall Balogun (unlikely) or rely on Nketiah and Martinelli if needed

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jesus has had knee surgery and gonna be out for a decent chunk of time :( not the best of news

Be interesting to see if they try and buy, recall Balogun (unlikely) or rely on Nketiah and Martinelli if needed

I believe that Mr C Ronaldo is available. Get him in on a six month contract. :D

4LEX

Visit site
Sven was the weak link, terrible manager.

The defence was the best by far, all he had to do was get the midfield balance right and we win it. Trying to cram Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into a 4 was ridiculous. He didn't have the minerals to leave anyone out and hoped for individual quality. Ditto 2006. Total waste of talent.

sunshine

Visit site
Sven was the weak link, terrible manager.

The defence was the best by far, all he had to do was get the midfield balance right and we win it. Trying to cram Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into a 4 was ridiculous. He didn't have the minerals to leave anyone out and hoped for individual quality. Ditto 2006. Total waste of talent.

Defense was so solid back then, should have had a defensive midfielder like Hargreaves in there to allow Scholes and Lampard to do their thing.

Gerrard was the weak link in that midfield. Running around like a headless chicken, trying to play Hollywood crossfield balls. His highlights looked amazing but most of the time he was just giving the ball away constantly. He improved when Benitez started coaching him and he could learn how to keep possession from watching Xabi Alonso on the pitch.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I understand that there's some big game coming up between the French and Argentine national teams.
I don't know much about that version of the game.

Our football here in Boston is a mess. The Patriots current record is a mediocre 7-6 with four games to go.
The games have been putting me to sleep--just like the games with the round ball.