The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

What's this thing with everyone that scores a goal pointing both fingers in the air and looking upwards then blessing themselves? I bet 90% of them have never been near a church in their lives.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know, could be but it just seems like a load sheep followers to me. He did it so I'll do it too.

When I see it to my mind there's a kind of arrogance to it - run on the pitch with both hands pointing skywards because I'm so important that whatever deity there is up there is surely focussing on me right now as I prepare to kick a football around a pitch!!!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I see it to my mind there's a kind of arrogance to it - run on the pitch with both hands pointing skywards because I'm so important that whatever deity there is up there is surely focussing on me right now as I prepare to kick a football around a pitch!!!

A look of religious footballers apparently do it to thank god for each goal as he/ she / they gifted them with their talents

Swango1980

Visit site
Don't know, could be but it just seems like a load sheep followers to me. He did it so I'll do it too.
Well, I know Rashford did it as his pal recently died. Many footballers will have loved ones that will have died, maybe even a parent who helped them get to where they are today. They are now representing their country at the biggest stage. So, perhaps there are emotions we can't even comprehend, where scoring at World Cup is the ultimate dream, and they are simply dedicating it to the ones they have lost, who were there before they ever "made it".

I know we live in a cynical world, where we like to find a reason to be critical of people. But, I doubt very few footballers are doing it just to look cool?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...illion-liverpool-bid/utofytyfunz3yo2x95qpzzvg

Will Liverpool be the next UAE/ Qatari owned team? Looking likely apparently!

Its going to get harder and harder to compete with the teams with that level of backing!
The reality is, that has been the case for years. The league within a league has been happening for some time. I've given up expecting my team to win the league again, a long way away anyway sadly, I just want them to play good football and entertain me, obviously winning games helps that.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The reality is, that has been the case for years. The league within a league has been happening for some time. I've given up expecting my team to win the league again, a long way away anyway sadly, I just want them to play good football and entertain me, obviously winning games helps that.

Liverpool did well for 3/4 years without this level of backing - it is possible - but they also have one of the top 3 managers in the world so that helps :ROFLMAO:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concerned they didn't sign enough players in the Summer, we've just signed Gustavo Scarpa on a free for 3-and-a-half years. Brazilian player of the year last season, and seems a likeable bloke. Arrived in Nottingham over the weekend and was just skateboarding round the city - and hung out with the fans at our friendly with Stoke on Friday night.

I assume he's the long term replacement for Lingard. Hopefully he fairs as well as some of our other free transfers have this season (Aurier in particular has been a pleasant surprise)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liverpool did well for 3/4 years without this level of backing - it is possible - but they also have one of the top 3 managers in the world so that helps :ROFLMAO:
Their backing was still pretty helpful though. If you look at the top transfers in English football they are heavily involved. Obviously, it's pure money so it must go further :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

Their backing was still pretty helpful though. If you look at the top transfers in English football they are heavily involved. Obviously, it's pure money so it must go further :LOL:

Backing ? Do you mean just spending the money the club makes through income ?

Owners haven’t spent a penny of their own money on signings , it’s all through money brought into the club.

There is also devil in the detail and some context behind the level of spending

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Oh I know they've spent well, but they still don't spend like PSG and at least Liverpool have some sort of a wage structure (although I think Salah tore that apart a bit)

They didn't make any "big money" (lets call that 50m+) signings for 3/4/5 years until Nunez came this summer - might be why they're showing cracks this season a bit

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh I know they've spent well, but they still don't spend like PSG and at least Liverpool have some sort of a wage structure (although I think Salah tore that apart a bit)

They didn't make any "big money" (lets call that 50m+) signings for 3/4/5 years until Nunez came this summer - might be why they're showing cracks this season a bit

That's not quite true. VVD for £85 million in 17/18, Allison for £62.5 million and Keita for £60 million in 18/19.

They've also had several over £40 million in that time that I would class as big money signings, Mane £41m, Salah £42m, Fabinho £45m, Jot £45m, Diaz £47m, Konate £40m all since the 16/17 season so they haven't exactly been frugal with their transfer spending.

Yes, it's all money generated by the club through selling players or TV money but they've still been spending big money in the last few years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

What @ColchesterFC said above. That is some pretty major spending.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What's this thing with everyone that scores a goal pointing both fingers in the air and looking upwards then blessing themselves? I bet 90% of them have never been near a church in their lives.

I think it’s to do with players wanting to be seen doing it on camera, if they have to do anything do it in private before coming onto the pitch.