The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Maguire was utter dross. It's sad to see him in the current state. All he did was stand in the way of one shot, the rest was terrible. He can barely put one foot infront of the other and looks lost. Real concerns if he starts in the World Cup, although the easy start might well help build his confidence up.

Martinez has been excellent of late and looks a real battler who would die for the shirt. I gave him some stick when it was deserved but he's done well. He's been found out against teams with physical strikers but at the moment theres only a handful in the league so he might still get away with it.

Eriksen has been absolutely superb, a class apart in that dreadful midfield.

I thought he was rammel. My lad hit the nail On the head, how is he club captain with the players in that team

Swango1980

Visit site
Which is why I said maybe in the future ?
Indeed, but I think you were suggesting some might think they are a dreadful midfield because they are not yet bossing midfields.

Eriksen and Casemiro have been excellent, and Bruno is improving compared to his disappointing performances last year. Work in progress, certainly not dreadful. I guess the hardest thing is to develop a style of play good enough to start scoring more freely, United definitely not there yet. But, apart from a couple of occasions, look a lot more robust than before, which probably wouldn't have been too difficult :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Indeed, but I think you were suggesting some might think they are a dreadful midfield because they are not yet bossing midfields.

Eriksen and Casemiro have been excellent, and Bruno is improving compared to his disappointing performances last year. Work in progress, certainly not dreadful. I guess the hardest thing is to develop a style of play good enough to start scoring more freely, United definitely not there yet. But, apart from a couple of occasions, look a lot more robust than before, which probably wouldn't have been too difficult :)
If you look back through the last couple of pages, Alex mentioned the midfield has been dreadful yet Ericsson has been a class act. It was at that point I suggested with them three they should be bossing midfield. With the three players mentioned They should. But Chuck in McTominay and Fred. Well maybe that’s part of the problem. For the record I think Utd have been poor, but there are deffo signs of an improvement with a manager who’s appointment was questioned. ( not by me). Maguire being rammel and the distraction of Ronaldos antics not helping.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look back through the last couple of pages, Alex mentioned the midfield has been dreadful yet Ericsson has been a class act. It was at that point I suggested with them three they should be bossing midfield. With the three players mentioned They should. But Chuck in McTominay and Fred. Well maybe that’s part of the problem. For the record I think Utd have been poor, but there are deffo signs of an improvement with a manager who’s appointment was questioned. ( not by me). Maguire being rammel and the distraction of Ronaldos antics not helping.

Utd have certainly improved if late there’s no doubt about that.
The manager who I said I don’t think is the right one,has still got to convince me.
However he has impressed me on certain aspects,especially dropping big names,and he’s not afraid to upset people who don’t toe the line.
There’s no doubt some have to go,we have too many like for like players and constantly changing personal won’t help.
Long way to go,but the players seem to be more together atm.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maguire was utter dross. It's sad to see him in the current state. All he did was stand in the way of one shot, the rest was terrible. He can barely put one foot infront of the other and looks lost. Real concerns if he starts in the World Cup, although the easy start might well help build his confidence up.
I feel sorry for him in a way. Man Utd was such a bad move for him. He doesn't have the level of class you expect of a top six defender, but he was never likely to either. If he stayed at a club like Leicester, where he was more of a simple old-school centre back, I think people would still be rating him now and not abusing him to such a degree. He's tried to play like a Man Utd player, and justify the silly price tag, can't do it because he doesn't have the skill, and now he's been abused so much his confidence must be at an all-time zero. I think he'll have one of those careers where he'll maybe leave United in a year or two, go to a mid-table side where the spotlight isn't on him, and have a quiet resurgence as a decent solid centre back again in his early-to-mid thirties.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel sorry for him in a way. Man Utd was such a bad move for him. He doesn't have the level of class you expect of a top six defender, but he was never likely to either. If he stayed at a club like Leicester, where he was more of a simple old-school centre back, I think people would still be rating him now and not abusing him to such a degree. He's tried to play like a Man Utd player, and justify the silly price tag, can't do it because he doesn't have the skill, and now he's been abused so much his confidence must be at an all-time zero. I think he'll have one of those careers where he'll maybe leave United in a year or two, go to a mid-table side where the spotlight isn't on him, and have a quiet resurgence as a decent solid centre back again in his early-to-mid thirties.

Would be an excellent replace for zouma as I've heard his knee is ledly king standard

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Id have him at Villa!

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes, I was careful by not suggesting YOU were saying it was a dreadful midfield as they were not dominating games, only that you suspected it might be a reason why others might think so.

I certainly do not agree with Alex's view that the Utd midfield has been dreadful, if we are talking this season (was correct last season). Some poor games, but a lot of positives as well. Bruno, Eriksen (who Alex acknowledges) and Casemiro are not dreadful players. Antony has also done well, and Rashford (if we are including wide midfield / attacking players, rather than just central). More surprisingly, Fred and McTominay have performed much better than my expectations of them. Not world class midfielders, but I'd not class them as dreadful. At a minimum, they are starting to look like solid squad players.

It just seems United need to look for ways to be more intricate and unlock defences more freely. They'll probably need a striker who is not just a good player, but is getting game time so as not to be rusty, and all the players get used to their movement. Need wingers to get more balls into the box. All too often, United look reluctant to do this, and when they do you can see why, as the ball is often poor. If they could do that, they'd keep defenders guessing by being more unpredictable.

Just on Maguire. There were a few groans from fans early in game when he played a safe ball, almost an expectation he'd mess up I guess. But, it was nice to see fans cheer him as match went on, and he won headers / challenges. He is certainly not a proven world beater, or proven he has the ability to play in the best sides in the world, but there is no doubt in my mind confidence has played a major role in his poor performances, rather than pure lack of ability. I'd like to see him get that confidence back, just to see what level he is at.