The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Anyone see the Charlton v Ipswich result today? Ipswich 2-0 up after 62 minutes. Charlton score twice to bring it back to 2-2 after 90 minutes. Ipswich scored twice in added time after 91 and 94 minutes. Charlton then scored after 96 and 99 minutes to make it 4-4.

View attachment 44984

I saw it was 3-4 in injury time but that's mental. Better than Cadiz v Atletico which was 2-0 after 85, then 2-2 after 90 and Atletico miss two great chances to win it before Cadiz got a 97th minute winner!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Liverpool have just been incredibly unlucky their peak under Klopp happened at the same time as Pep at City. Literally any other era they have 4-5 titles.

I still think they'll end up in the Top 4. Obvious issues with the midfield and Nunez looks a bit clown like but some serious quality in the squad. Diaz has been a huge miss.
Yes I agree.
But why is Nunez playing so wide.
He had some good chances tonight and keeper was excellent.
He looks out of place on the left.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Liverpool have just been incredibly unlucky their peak under Klopp happened at the same time as Pep at City. Literally any other era they have 4-5 titles.

I still think they'll end up in the Top 4. Obvious issues with the midfield and Nunez looks a bit clown like but some serious quality in the squad. Diaz has been a huge miss.
Could be said about a lot of teams tho.
Wenger v Fergie?
You’re always going to have a rival ?‍♂️

Ian_George

Visit site

The question/s I'd ask is 'Why did they peak/Why have they peaked?'!
I agree that their title count would have been greater without the competition from City, but I don't believe either was excessively restricted by regulations and, for a neutral, it makes for a much more interesting competition!
I strongly suspect there are non-playing issues involved in their poor performance so far this year. Losing Mane has been a big problem imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

We were absolute rubbish (Mod Edit) tonight, made Leeds look like Brazil peak '70.

Irrespective of injuries etc those 3 substitutions were madness. Nothing changed.

It was like head butting a wall for 60 mins then sending 2 players on to do exactly the same for the next 30??‍♂️??‍♂️

This squad and manager have plenty in the bank for me but theyve still gotta take responsibility for that tonight, Klopp more so.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

Yes I agree.
But why is Nunez playing so wide.
He had some good chances tonight and keeper was excellent.
He looks out of place on the left.

Nunez wasnt playing wide, if he was he would've had more of an impact.

It was a 4-3-1-2, Salah and Nunez were the "2 up top".

D

Deleted member 1740

The question/s I'd ask is 'Why did they peak/Why have they peaked?'!
I agree that their title count would have been greater without the competition from City, but I don't believe either was excessively restricted by regulations and, for a neutral, it makes for a much more interesting competition!
I strongly suspect there are non-playing issues involved in their poor performance so far this year. Losing Mane has been a big problem imo.

Disagree.

The problems are further behind.

D

Deleted member 1740

What’s the solution in your opinion?
The whole team just looks lazy at the minute, specially in defence like they’re just not switched on.

2 solutions for me.

Short term - revert to type, stick to what we've done so well previously, get back to 4-3-3 with the best players available and stick with it. Even if we have to drop 10yards as a unit then so be it. Take the knocks in the road.

We were a well oiled machine with a style of play that suited what we had so changing formation AND patterns of play has been tough.

We haven't got a really strong squad in certain areas and these recent injuries have shown that.

Long term - improve the squad with more quality and ability. Replace older/injury prone players quickly and not carry them, (ox,keita,milner,henderson)

I dont think they're Lazy or not switched on. It seems every mistake or error is being punished. I also think last season took a lot out of them mentally. It's not often you see teams going for 4 trophies playing maximum amount of games possible.

TAA's head is absolutely shot. It's obvious the England situation has affected him. He's not a bad defender generally but i think his recent form has been poor and he's making silly mistakes.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone see the Charlton v Ipswich result today? Ipswich 2-0 up after 62 minutes. Charlton score twice to bring it back to 2-2 after 90 minutes. Ipswich scored twice in added time after 91 and 94 minutes. Charlton then scored after 96 and 99 minutes to make it 4-4.

View attachment 44984

Wonder how many Charlton fans walked on 90 + 4 to beat the rush... :unsure:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
2 solutions for me.

Short term - revert to type, stick to what we've done so well previously, get back to 4-3-3 with the best players available and stick with it. Even if we have to drop 10yards as a unit then so be it. Take the knocks in the road.

We were a well oiled machine with a style of play that suited what we had so changing formation AND patterns of play has been tough.

We haven't got a really strong squad in certain areas and these recent injuries have shown that.

Long term - improve the squad with more quality and ability. Replace older/injury prone players quickly and not carry them, (ox,keita,milner,henderson)

I dont think they're Lazy or not switched on. It seems every mistake or error is being punished. I also think last season took a lot out of them mentally. It's not often you see teams going for 4 trophies playing maximum amount of games possible.

TAA's head is absolutely shot. It's obvious the England situation has affected him. He's not a bad defender generally but i think his recent form has been poor and he's making silly mistakes.

This I think solves one problem that dropping 10 yards would help stop a ball over the top which Liverpool are prone to. But dropping back to 4-3-3 am not 100% sure it would solve the problem. Reason I say that is teams are used to 4-3-3 and set up like Leicester did v City yesterday 11 behind the ball. Teams have set up to Defend against City and Liverpool and Klopp like Pep has tried to change it.Without a great deal of success. Yet in Europe Liverpool are doing the business.Do they play the same system?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This I think solves one problem that dropping 10 yards would help stop a ball over the top which Liverpool are prone to. But dropping back to 4-3-3 am not 100% sure it would solve the problem. Reason I say that is teams are used to 4-3-3 and set up like Leicester did v City yesterday 11 behind the ball. Teams have set up to Defend against City and Liverpool and Klopp like Pep has tried to change it.Without a great deal of success. Yet in Europe Liverpool are doing the business.Do they play the same system?

Doing the business against Rangers and an Ajax side that only play one way which suits Liverpool too. Dont forget they got utterly stuffed by a very good Napoli side in the other game. Shame neither side need anything from the return fixture and are likely to not play full strength sides

D

Deleted member 1740

The 4-3-3 system has worked, they're coached to the nth degree to play to it amd they've bought players to play that system. Its tried and tested.

Klopp has tried to change it during a busy schedule. Playing sat/wed/sun doesnt give much time to implement a massive change in style of play

At the minute we're all over the gaff and it needs sorting ASAP.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nunez wasnt playing wide, if he was he would've had more of an impact.

It was a 4-3-1-2, Salah and Nunez were the "2 up top".
Your probably right being at the game you see the formation better off the ball.
But Nunez looked wide to me a lot .
We seemed to be playing a false nine again with Firmino.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site