The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

CountLippe

Visit site
Have they? They got battered by Napoli in the 1st game, when the game actually mattered to Napoli. They also lost to Arsenal, and dare I say it, lost to Man Utd. Have they not only really beat City as a good side, when the result was actually important?
Napoli aside, and they can batter anyone, they’ve been good in all the CL games, beaten city and were not awful against arsenal. That’s what I meant.

Swango1980

Visit site
Napoli aside, and they can batter anyone, they’ve been good in all the CL games, beaten city and were not awful against arsenal. That’s what I meant.
I wouldn't get excited by Champions League results. Rangers had officially the worst results in Champions League history, and Ajax, I think, only had 6 points, by beating an awful Rangers side, so I'm not sure Ajax are great.

They did well against City, but City could just as easily beaten Liverpool on another day. Sometimes games are just decided in moments, rather than any one team deserving it or not by dominating.

However, might be no point in reading too much into anything. I suspect there could be some big swings in performances from several sides after the World Cup.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to the draw for the last 16 of the CL. I assume Liverpool fans will be hoping to draw Porto as their next opponents as the alternatives don't look too appealing. If the groups stay as they are then they can't draw Napoli or the other three English teams, which would leave Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or PSG as their other three possible opponents.
Don't they play Porto every year??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes .
But if you want to win you have to play and beat these teams at some stage.
Great win for Spurs.

Draw was probably the right result but Marseille gifted them the win at the death and in the process knocked themselves out of the Europa as well as the Champions League lol, their manager was not a happy cookie!!! Confirms their recent form of 1 point in the last 4 games in the french league! Not sure Id call it a great win ;)

Hope Son is OK for the WC, looked nasty

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Draw was probably the right result but Marseille gifted them the win at the death and in the process knocked themselves out of the Europa as well as the Champions League lol, their manager was not a happy cookie!!! Confirms their recent form of 1 point in the last 4 games in the french league! Not sure Id call it a great win ;)

Was a crazy second half, either side could have scored a winner. Nice to get one over on the Arsenal rejects and put them out of Europe though. Kolasinac missed a sitter!

Son looked like he may have had a broken cheekbone or something. Can imagine him playing the world cup with one of those phantom of the opera masks they put on for such injuries.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was a crazy second half, either side could have scored a winner. Nice to get one over on the Arsenal rejects and put them out of Europe though. Kolasinac missed a sitter!

Son looked like he may have had a broken cheekbone or something. Can imagine him playing the world cup with one of those phantom of the opera masks they put on for such injuries.

some collection there isnt there, Tavares, Kolasinac, Sanchez, Guendoozy

never any danger of Kolasinac scoring there lol

Swango1980

Visit site

I was surprised Spurs didn't have their sub ready to go on as soon as play restarted. They treated Son for about 5 or 6 minutes, and it seemed pretty clear long before he gingerly walked off that he would not continue in the match.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Unai Emery is officially in the building!

Fingers crossed this turns out to be the appointment that catapults us up the table in years to come.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Didn’t see the game but a win is a win.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was surprised Spurs didn't have their sub ready to go on as soon as play restarted. They treated Son for about 5 or 6 minutes, and it seemed pretty clear long before he gingerly walked off that he would not continue in the match.
Amazes me subs are never ready.
Stripping off, Shirt, shin pads, tape.
Especially if they are down for a while.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unai Emery is officially in the building!

Fingers crossed this turns out to be the appointment that catapults us up the table in years to come.

He doesn’t fill me with confidence, living in Newcastle I’m glad the Toon went for Eddie Howe instead.
Howe has managed at lower levels and kept Bournemouth in the Premier for years on a shoe string budget. He’s experienced relegation fights, whereas I don’t think Emery has had that experience. I don’t see him as your saviour

4LEX

Visit site
I thought he was rammel. My lad hit the nail On the head, how is he club captain with the players in that team

Should've been stripped of the armband on day one of ETH's tenre. Incredible a club like Man Utd have a club captain that is a wet blanket. I'm not even a Maguire hater and think he's a very good centre back in a back 3 or in a 4321 but since the incident in Greece he's looked a different player.

4LEX

Visit site
Eriksen, Casemiro & Fernandes is a dreadful midfield?
You couldn't make it up!

On paper it's world class. On the pitch you've got a massively overpriced Casemiro on silly wages north of 30, Bruno who has been average for a year now and Eriksen who has shown his class on a free transfer. It's not a midfield built for the future, it's one that for now and isn't even dominating games at home against the likes of West Ham. Apart from Spurs and the first half of Chelsea, the best football Man Utd have played has been park the bus and hit on the counter.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
On paper it's world class. On the pitch you've got a massively overpriced Casemiro on silly wages north of 30, Bruno who has been average for a year now and Eriksen who has shown his class on a free transfer. It's not a midfield built for the future, it's one that for now and isn't even dominating games at home against the likes of West Ham. Apart from Spurs and the first half of Chelsea, the best football Man Utd have played has been park the bus and hit on the counter.
I'm 32. I've grown up with incredible man utd midfields. And hated all of them. As a Utd fan at work said the other day "when your best midfielder has already died you know you have problems!"

The thing now with ETH is at least it looks like there's a plan. I don't think I've seen that in years. They may not have the players exactly needed but the plan is there to move forward with. And that's where I'd say Liverpools problems lie... There's a plan and the players can't cope, for whatever reason.

4LEX

Visit site
Yes he was.
It got to the stage where he was slating him even when he didn’t play tho.
He LOVED talking about Pogba and blaming him for all the wrongs in the world ?

I think it was down to his attitude. Pogba had more ability than almost any midfielder but often went through the motions. If he lost the ego and upped his workrate he'd dominate every midfield. Souness was old school where workrate comes first and so it should IMO.