The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
I'm 32. I've grown up with incredible man utd midfields. And hated all of them. As a Utd fan at work said the other day "when your best midfielder has already died you know you have problems!"

The thing now with ETH is at least it looks like there's a plan. I don't think I've seen that in years. They may not have the players exactly needed but the plan is there to move forward with. And that's where I'd say Liverpools problems lie... There's a plan and the players can't cope, for whatever reason.

No doubt ETH is better than Ole but his transfer activity is suspect. Not putting a striker as #1 priority and getting rid of Ronaldo will cost him badly. He's already put pressure on himself with the mismanagement of Ronaldo. Not bringing him on at City when they were being smashed out of respect was a smart move, then trying to bring him on for 1 minute in a game what was won was beyond stupid and created all sorts of problems.

Klopp has a plan but he's been done by a lack of backing. He obviously wanted new additions to the midfield and all he got was a reject on loan. He's proven if he gets the money he gets it right and challenges. Liverpool's issue is more the board, Man Utd's is more the manager and board. I just don't see anyway Man Utd win a title or the CL in the next 4-5 years under the current structure. ETH deserves at least 2-3 years so we shall see what happens...

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to the draw for the last 16 of the CL. I assume Liverpool fans will be hoping to draw Porto as their next opponents as the alternatives don't look too appealing. If the groups stay as they are then they can't draw Napoli or the other three English teams, which would leave Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or PSG as their other three possible opponents.

With PSG finishing second in their group Benfica are the alternative opponents for Liverpool in the last 16. I imagine that there are some group winners hoping to avoid PSG in the next round.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
should be plenty of sides wanting to avoid Benfica too, theyve been excellent in the comp so far

I haven't watched any of the CL so far this season as I haven't got BT Sport so have been following it based on some knowledge of European football and highlights on social media. I can't imagine any group winner wanting to come up against Neymar, Mbappe and Messi but equally I can't see any of them wanting to play against a Benfica side that topped their group above PSG.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
should be plenty of sides wanting to avoid Benfica too, theyve been excellent in the comp so far

Don’t overly worry about who we draw. It’s the last 16 of the Champions League so it’s not like there’s a chance of getting a non-league side like the FA Cup, they’re all pretty useful. And if you’re going to win it you’ve got to beat them at some point. Yeah, maybe easier over 1 leg than 2, but you’ve still got to beat them. And there’s the embarrassment of going out if you do get the perceived soft draw.

I’m more concerned about us finding 11 to put out the way they are going down like flies. ??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
He doesn’t fill me with confidence, living in Newcastle I’m glad the Toon went for Eddie Howe instead.
Howe has managed at lower levels and kept Bournemouth in the Premier for years on a shoe string budget. He’s experienced relegation fights, whereas I don’t think Emery has had that experience. I don’t see him as your saviour

Newcastle fan who didn't manage to appoint Emery prefers Howe as they're currently sat in third.... Shock :ROFLMAO:

There's no denying Emery is a top level manager above anything Villa have had for years. He's won 4 Europa leagues... that doesn't happen by accident 4 times. We dont have a crap budget, were a side that across all levels are trying to move forward with ambitious owners.

Who would you have brought in to Villa? Who would you replace Howe with if he was sacked tomorrow?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don’t overly worry about who we draw. It’s the last 16 of the Champions League so it’s not like there’s a chance of getting a non-league side like the FA Cup, they’re all pretty useful. And if you’re going to win it you’ve got to beat them at some point. Yeah, maybe easier over 1 leg than 2, but you’ve still got to beat them. And there’s the embarrassment of going out if you do get the perceived soft draw.

I’m more concerned about us finding 11 to put out the way they are going down like flies. ??

Just unlucky youre not allowed to draw Spurs eh ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe it is a good think many of the wing backs are getting injured, in a weird way.

If Southgate had his wish, he'd probably bring 4 left backs and 4 right backs, and play ultra defensive every game.

If most get injured, it might force his hand to play more attacking players each match, and if the stars align and they get, play decent attacking football. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe it is a good think many of the wing backs are getting injured, in a weird way.

If Southgate had his wish, he'd probably bring 4 left backs and 4 right backs, and play ultra defensive every game.

If most get injured, it might force his hand to play more attacking players each match, and if the stars align and they get, play decent attacking football. :)

nah hell just jam some square pegs in the round holes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
nah hell just jam some square pegs in the round holes
At this point I think we just take all the right backs and one of them can play on the left?? That's where he often sticks Trippier now anyway. James is going to be out injured so I guess he has to take Walker, Trent, Trippier & Shaw? Otherwise I don't know who you take, maybe the Palace lad Mitchell?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At this point I think we just take all the right backs and one of them can play on the left?? That's where he often sticks Trippier now anyway. James is going to be out injured so I guess he has to take Walker, Trent, Trippier & Shaw? Otherwise I don't know who you take, maybe the Palace lad Mitchell?
Ryan Sessegnon?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ryan Sessegnon?
Haha, imagine forgetting your own player. Six months ago I'd have said he was nowhere near, but he is improving all the time and is doing quite well now. And he's a proper wing back, rather than a full back who's been pushed up. You're right, Chilwell missing out could open up a door for him.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Haha, imagine forgetting your own player. Six months ago I'd have said he was nowhere near, but he is improving all the time and is doing quite well now. And he's a proper wing back, rather than a full back who's been pushed up. You're right, Chilwell missing out could open up a door for him.

Maybe for the 55 man squad but not the 26 man. Id expect him in/ around the team by 2024 though!