The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Don’t overly worry about who we draw. It’s the last 16 of the Champions League so it’s not like there’s a chance of getting a non-league side like the FA Cup, they’re all pretty useful. And if you’re going to win it you’ve got to beat them at some point. Yeah, maybe easier over 1 leg than 2, but you’ve still got to beat them. And there’s the embarrassment of going out if you do get the perceived soft draw.

I’m more concerned about us finding 11 to put out the way they are going down like flies. ??

Totally agree with this. Apart from I'd prefer 2 legs against Real Madrid. There's no team in the world I'd rather play less in a one-off match.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Totally agree with this. Apart from I'd prefer 2 legs against Real Madrid. There's no team in the world I'd rather play less in a one-off match.

As regards 2 legs my only preference was to play the away leg second as you knew exactly where you stood re away goals, but as that has gone now it no longer matters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As regards 2 legs my only preference was to play the away leg second as you knew exactly where you stood re away goals, but as that has gone now it no longer matters.
Arguably now you would rather have the home leg second so if it goes to extra time, you have your home crowd cheering you on to find that final goal. I think overall it's good they got rid of that - was meant to encourage teams to attack in the away legs, but all they did was park the bus at home. :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still waiting to see what DeBeek is good at. Not sure he has had a touch yet
When he was fit at Everton, not long to be fair, he was a player that connected the team together. He was always available to take the ball, whether from defenders or midfielders. He got it, moved it on, looked after it. He didn't make surging runs, he didn't hit it 30yds but he kept the ball ticking over. Importantly, to me, he never wasted the ball, he rarely gave it away. I liked him, he was busy.

I don't know how you are using him but we had him in the centre of midfield, infront of the back 4, and let him buzz around.

4LEX

Visit site
I admire your positivity Slime and it's a good win in normal circumstances. But possibly the worst 45 minutes of subs and tactical decisions you'll ever see from a top side. To pick such a strong side, dominate the first half and then do that in the second is laughable. Now it's two extra games against a CL drop out side before even the last 16. That's going to seriously damage Utd's Top 4 bid and their best chance of a trophy.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
According to the BBC, Utd had to win by 2 clear goals to progress. They had four shots and one on target. ? For once, Tash is lost for words.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
People blaming the amount of injuries on the timing of the World Cup! Surely players would be more likely to get injured at the end of a season when they are more fatigued? Also, some people are wanting the last round of premier league games before the World Cup to be cancelled - when do they expect these games to be played? Maybe they should look at the amount of European matches - oh hang on, these are far too important (and money making) to even mention!

Swango1980

Visit site
People blaming the amount of injuries on the timing of the World Cup! Surely players would be more likely to get injured at the end of a season when they are more fatigued? Also, some people are wanting the last round of premier league games before the World Cup to be cancelled - when do they expect these games to be played? Maybe they should look at the amount of European matches - oh hang on, these are far too important (and money making) to even mention!
Possibly, although I think a lot more games have been crammed in before the World Cup, compared to the usual amount this time of season. Didn't the season start earlier, and not sure players had much of a summer with the pathetic 4 Nations Cup games at end of last season.

The other issue might be that after the last league games, the World Cup begins on the very next week. I think national teams usually have several weeks to get together after end of season, especially for players not involved in any finals with their club. Possibly enough time to recover from shorter term injuries, or relax and get rid of some fatigue.

It feels like sudden death at the moment, where every player will now know a minorish injury could all but rule them out of World Cup. I wonder if some are holding back in games to avoid, at all costs, getting injured?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly, although I think a lot more games have been crammed in before the World Cup, compared to the usual amount this time of season. Didn't the season start earlier, and not sure players had much of a summer with the pathetic 4 Nations Cup games at end of last season.

The other issue might be that after the last league games, the World Cup begins on the very next week. I think national teams usually have several weeks to get together after end of season, especially for players not involved in any finals with their club. Possibly enough time to recover from shorter term injuries, or relax and get rid of some fatigue.

It feels like sudden death at the moment, where every player will now know a minorish injury could all but rule them out of World Cup. I wonder if some are holding back in games to avoid, at all costs, getting injured?
Yes I think you could be right.
But we were told your more likely to get hurt holding back.
As the weather gets colder VAR isn’t helping having the players standing around while they take 4+ mins to make a decision?
Players are going down with a lot of muscle injury’s.