The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Was watching the live Champions League Goals program, instead of any single match.

Mental finish in Spurs and Athletico games. I maybe didn't get all the views, as so many things happening at once. However, Kane looked square or behind the ball when played in, so was surprised when offside was given. At any rate, I'm guessing if defender gets an intentional touch while trying to clear ball, offside can still be given these days?

In the Atletico game, seemed harsh handball was given after final whistle. Didn't look like an outstretched arm. Still, delighted Atletico missed the penalty, hit bar on rebound and then their player blocked it on line on 3rd attempt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was watching the live Champions League Goals program, instead of any single match.e h
E
Mental finish in Spurs and Athletico games. I maybe didn't get all the views, as so many things happening at once. However, Kane looked square or behind the ball when played in, so was surprised when offside was given. At any rate, I'm guessing if defender gets an intentional touch while trying to clear ball, offside can still be given these days?

In the Atletico game, seemed harsh handball was given after final whistle. Didn't look like an outstretched arm. Still, delighted Atletico missed the penalty, hit bar on rebound and then their player blocked it on line on 3rd attempt.
Must have been for the original cross before he headed it.
Headed it backwards and it came off the defender so Kane can’t be offside.
They didn’t show the full clip though.
Took a very long time as well.

Swango1980

Visit site
Must have been for the original cross before he headed it.
Headed it backwards and it came off the defender so Kane can’t be offside.
They didn’t show the full clip though.
Took a very long time as well.
The player who headed it back across was definitely onside, by miles.

It was given for Kane, as the highlights after showed the lines drawn in. Absolutely impossible to tell where lines were drawn from, and millimetres in it. Also took them over 3 minutes to decide.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The player who headed it back across was definitely onside, by miles.

It was given for Kane, as the highlights after showed the lines drawn in. Absolutely impossible to tell where lines were drawn from, and millimetres in it. Also took them over 3 minutes to decide.
Can’t see how Kane could be offside.
He headed it backwards and it hit the defender and went to Kane.
Only seen it once .
VAR ???

Swango1980

Visit site
Only seen it once .
VAR ???
It doesn't matter if ball goes forwards or backwards. Player is in an offside position if they are ahead of the ball.when it is played. So, even though it doesn't look like it, the lines they drew say Kane was ahead of the ball.

It deflected off defender, which brought it into.his path. Seeing that bit again, defender knew nothing about it, so.I guess you can say they had no.intent to play the ball.

I suspect it wouldn't be given in PL as they seem to have a better tolerance now.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Only seen it once .
VAR ???

Played forward as you & I remember it has been removed in the re-write;

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

4LEX

Visit site
I remember many saying United absolutely should have got Conte. Personally, I had no enthusiasm for that potential appointment, and as it stands, delighted we never rushed into appointing him.

He's a top manager and has done really well with the lack of quality in the Spurs squad. To get Top 4 last season, currently sit 3rd and top the CL group is impressive. From the keeper, defence and midfield theres a huge lack of ability. Spurs have 4 top class players and when 2 are injured they're going to struggle. But that first half was like LVG at Utd a few years ago!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter if ball goes forwards or backwards. Player is in an offside position if they are ahead of the ball.when it is played. So, even though it doesn't look like it, the lines they drew say Kane was ahead of the ball.

It deflected off defender, which brought it into.his path. Seeing that bit again, defender knew nothing about it, so.I guess you can say they had no.intent to play the ball.

I suspect it wouldn't be given in PL as they seem to have a better tolerance now.
I'm done with it now. If that was offside then I don't understand the offside rule anymore. Kane looked to be behind the ball, behind the player heading it, both onside from original cross. He seemed to be onside by every single measure you could think of, AND the defender played it to him as well which has certainly cancelled other offside decisions in the last year or two. I'm absolutely stumped with it all, and it puts me off watching football more every time it happens.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm done with it now. If that was offside then I don't understand the offside rule anymore. Kane looked to be behind the ball, behind the player heading it, both onside from original cross. He seemed to be onside by every single measure you could think of, AND the defender played it to him as well which has certainly cancelled other offside decisions in the last year or two. I'm absolutely stumped with it all, and it puts me off watching football more every time it happens.
It was the classic goal that many said VAR would destroy. Last seconds, sees Spurs through, mad celebrations from players, fans, manager and staff. Then, 4 minutes of thinking time by VAR, who were obviously uncertain as to where they were drawing lines, thus couldn't quickly decide it was offside, then goal disallowed.

It is absolute rubbish, especially when VAR make decisions that still offer zero clarity. Glenn Hoddle (yes, he has Spurs bias) reckoned many fans would stop coming to games, and just watch on TV instead, due to VAR.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Thicker lines ???

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Welcome to my world. Got to feel for the fans at the ground who had over 4 mins to wait for a “ clear and obvious error” not knowing what was going on.