The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was looking straight down at this from where I was sat, and he really looked like he went down like a keeper making a save.
When it wasn't given, I remarked to my mate that it was looked like a pen all day except that it might have been outside the box.
My first attendance of the season, it's hard to describe how terrible var makes the match-going experience. It couldn't be worse if they tried, and it certainly isn't any better than last year.

Nail on head.?

Just seen the first goal again on telly. What shocked me was the ball comes in from a corner and the ball comes off the West Ham players arm and heads towards the goals. There is definite movement from the players right arm knocking the ball goal bound. How was that not picked up. The arm was definitely in a natural position but the movement by his right arm was not natural.

As sure as Wednesday follows Tuesday I am not looking forward to talking about VAR again and not the game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be fair, VAR is not at fault here, it is the rules. The rules are wonky on this, VAR is only enforcing them. It does look a nonsense though.
The rules are deffo wonky but the problem as pendodave said. For the match going fan it is purgatory. The emotion of your team scoring or conceding a goal is then coupled with a couple Of minutes of uncertainty. It is a real anti climax feeling. It just kills the game for match going fans not knowing what is going off, not knowing what there looking for. That needs to be sorted similar to how they do it in rugby union. Talking of rugby union the refs seems to be more clued up than the average prem league ref. ☹️

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unsure how I feel about Carrick becoming the new Middlesbrough manager. Undeniably, a great player. The Championship is a difficult league to cut your teeth in though. Particularly at a currently failing club, who should be doing better and with what will likely be a severely restricted budget. Recent years have seen us have a merry-go-round of managers, with six handed their P45 since 2017. The appointment of Woodgate as first team coach is odd as well. I’d hope it was Carrick’s call - but unsure of the connection.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rules are deffo wonky but the problem as pendodave said. For the match going fan it is purgatory. The emotion of your team scoring or conceding a goal is then coupled with a couple Of minutes of uncertainty. It is a real anti climax feeling. It just kills the game for match going fans not knowing what is going off, not knowing what there looking for. That needs to be sorted similar to how they do it in rugby union. Talking of rugby union the refs seems to be more clued up than the average prem league ref. ☹️
I get that, no argument there. Rugby does it better in the we all get to hear the discussion between ref and VAR but it can equally take minutes so the same sense of anti climax is there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unsure how I feel about Carrick becoming the new Middlesbrough manager. Undeniably, a great player. The Championship is a difficult league to cut your teeth in though. Particularly at a currently failing club, who should be doing better and with what will likely be a severely restricted budget. Recent years have seen us have a merry-go-round of managers, with six handed their P45 since 2017. The appointment of Woodgate as first team coach is odd as well. I’d hope it was Carrick’s call - but unsure of the connection.
Woodgate was manager there for a spell wasn't he? That does make it weird. Ultimately you don't know with someone like Carrick but then I thought Wilder was a great appointment, safe as well as giving you a great chance of play off spot, and that didn't work for you. Maybe he can get a few utd u'21's coming your way to help out?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Woodgate was manager there for a spell wasn't he? That does make it weird. Ultimately you don't know with someone like Carrick but then I thought Wilder was a great appointment, safe as well as giving you a great chance of play off spot, and that didn't work for you. Maybe he can get a few utd u'21's coming your way to help out?
Yeah Woodgate was manager from June 2019 to June 2020. It’s an odd appointment. As you say, hopefully Carrick will attract top young players wanting first team experience. Wilder started well, but had no plan b. We became too easy to score against. His arrogant press conferences didn’t endear him to the fans. To be honest, the investment policy has got to change so he’s not entirely at fault for our current position. However, the best thing about his tenure was the song “Oh Wilder said…”.

D

Deleted member 18121

If you could have any ONE player from any other another PL team, who would you take?

I know the obvious answers will be de bruyne and haaland, but for me right now as a pool fan, I'd take Declan Rice.

For me he'd be a great replacement for Henderson and/or fabinho, both of whom aren't performing right now. Only issue for me is that he doesn't have an eye for goal.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you could have any ONE player from any other another PL team, who would you take?

I know the obvious answers will be de bruyne and haaland, but for me right now as a pool fan, I'd take Declan Rice.

For me he'd be a great replacement for Henderson and/or fabinho, both of whom aren't performing right now. Only issue for me is that he doesn't have an eye for goal.

Kevin De Bruyne all day long

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As a Colchester fan I'd take any player from any team in the Prem. Even the worst player in the worst PL squad would be several steps up from the current rubbish we have in our squad.

If I was a fan of a PL club then it would be Haaland every day of the week. To me it's a no-brainer, when you've got someone who scores that many goals then they are going to gain you so many points each season.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Haaland ......................... in a heart beat.

Swango1980

Visit site

Haaland, as a Man Utd fan. Although he'd definitely not be available. So, Harry Kane.