The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big win for Everton today. After 3 tough games, no points, we have a reasonable run of games before the world cup break. Palace first up, 3 points, DCL gets his first goal in an age, happy days.
Really pleased for Everton, fully deserved the win.
Dominic-Calvert-Lewin showed what Everton have been missing this season!
Iwobi was class as well.
Well pleased for Frank.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really pleased for Everton, fully deserved the win.
Dominic-Calvert-Lewin showed what Everton have been missing this season!
Iwobi was class as well.
Well pleased for Frank.
A good amount of our problems last year revolved around missing him then as well. Clearly a weakness that we didn't have a spare striker to fill the void but we didn't, not one worthy of the title anyway. He is a significant player for us, makes a major difference. Probably the difference between mid table and a relegation battle.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quite funny to see the Geordies taking their tops off as the storm hit whilst the spurs fans ran for cover ?

excellent game

Newcastle doing well - Calum Wilson is a superb striker and if he can stay fit should be a shoe in for the World Cup ,

Kane spending most of the time moaning at the ref and asking for players to be carded

Is this a penalty

View attachment 44931

Firstly, Lloris had a nightmare and was to blame for BOTH goals.
There’s absolutely NO way he was fouled for the first goal. Wilson merely stood his ground and Lloris bumped into him. Lloris should’ve smacked the ball clear. Wilson’s finish was top draw ?
Secondly, it shows how Conte’s system is flawed. He doesn’t play with any creative midfielders, he just wants to nullify the midfield. We need a creative player who can open things up like Eriksen did.
Thirdly, I can’t understand why he doesn’t play Lucas Moura he’s a busy player who creates things and makes things happen.
Lastly, after all that money spent on the stadium how can the fans not be kept dry by better roofing ?

Conte may get results, but it’s on the basis of allowing the opposition to have possession as long as they don’t hurt you. Well why not keep the ball more and then that way the opposition can’t hurt you.
I don’t particularly like watching Spurs under Conte, it’s certainly not entertaining

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Jensen I thought Moura looked really lively when he came on, caused Newcastle trouble. Does he not fit the Conte way or is he one that is better coming on off the bench rather than starting?

I would like to see him start, it certainly puts us on the offensive. That’s probably why Conte doesn’t start with him. It was thanks to Moura that we got to the Champions League Final. It’s just a shame the team didn’t turn up for the final. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There’s absolutely NO way he was fouled for the first goal. Wilson merely stood his ground and Lloris bumped into him. Lloris should’ve smacked the ball clear. Wilson’s finish was top draw ?
Secondly, it shows how Conte’s system is flawed. He doesn’t play with any creative midfielders, he just wants to nullify the midfield. We need a creative player who can open things up like Eriksen did.
Thirdly, I can’t understand why he doesn’t play Lucas Moura he’s a busy player who creates things and makes things happen.
Lastly, after all that money spent on the stadium how can the fans not be kept dry by better roofing ?

Conte may get results, but it’s on the basis of allowing the opposition to have possession as long as they don’t hurt you. Well why not keep the ball more and then that way the opposition can’t hurt you.
I don’t particularly like watching Spurs under Conte, it’s certainly not entertaining
Refreshing to see a honest view about ones own team without putting rose tinted glasses on. Serious question though mainly for Chelsea fans. Did Chelsea sit back as much under Conte as they do now at Spurs.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Spurs looked really sharp on the break yesterday....just a pity for them that its Kane that is supplying the killer through ball...he really can pick a pass...Son is very adept at putting the ball in the onion bag but I'm sure Spurs fans would like to see Kane getting on to his own through balls.

My only concern is that if it becomes a habit at club level then Kane will drop deep when playing for England even more than he already does. Maybe there is a future for Kane (as he ages) to perhaps drop into midfield and become one of those generals dictating play like a quarterback or Gullit - who eventually even dropped further back to a role just ahead of the back four...almost Pirlo like.

As a Newcastle supporter though I was really pleased with the commitment, effort and athleticism of the entire team....the whole club does now appear to be working as a team with development of not only the playing staff, but the backroom staff, the Ladies team, the training facilities. There is a real togetherness and a connection now with the supporters that has been clearly missing over recent years. Whether we finish in any of the European qualification spots is utterly irrelevant...it is inevitable that we will have a period where results don't go our way...I just hope my fellow supporters don't forget the bleak times we've suffered and lose perspective about what has been achieved over the last year.

For me last season was about survival. This season consolidation (any mid-ish table finish with no spectre of relegation hanging over us at any time). Next season progress (solid 7/8/9th). Following season competing for a Europa League spot.....after that...who knows. Maybe the title in the 26/27 season...exactly 100 years since the last one. We seem to have missed out the consolidation stage however and gone straight to progress/Europe League challenge. A couple of good cup runs in amongst all that would be nice as well.

It's nice to look forward to watching MOTD these days!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can't disagree with much of this. Lloris seems to be fluctuating between playing a blinder and playing a blunder at the moment, but he is turning 36 soon. I hope we're thinking seriously about a long-term replacement now. Would be good to pick up D.Henderson if United are just going to keep loaning him out. I don't think there was enough for a foul from Wilson, Redknapp was trying to claim he put his left arm across him, but I think that's just an instinct to protect yourself when somebody bumps into you. It was just a nonsense goal. Spurs fans keep saying we 'need an Eriksen' but he won't change the formation and this formation has no place for that sort of player. The entire plan seems to be block the middle and attack out wide. It doesn't work when the wing backs aren't up to scratch. Royal is crap, Doherty not consistent enough (although I'd be starting him over ER), Sessegnon is improving but not top drawer yet. Perisic is good but on his last legs I think hence he's not playing him every week.

Lucas has been injured, but he's never been able to hold down a starting place under multiple managers has he? I've always liked him. Maybe doesn't score enough but he's always lively and makes things happen. Reminds me of prime Aaron Lennon. I still think Kulusevski is a slightly better player though, and I can't wait for him to be fit again. We obviously missed Hojbjerg & Romero as well, who have both been very good this season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spurs looked really sharp on the break yesterday....just a pity for them that its Kane that is supplying the killer through ball...he really can pick a pass...Son is very adept at putting the ball in the onion bag but I'm sure Spurs fans would like to see Kane getting on to his own through balls.

My only concern is that if it becomes a habit at club level then Kane will drop deep when playing for England even more than he already does. Maybe there is a future for Kane (as he ages) to perhaps drop into midfield and become one of those generals dictating play like a quarterback or Gullit - who eventually even dropped further back to a role just ahead of the back four...almost Pirlo like.
Kane really is far too good. We need three of him - one up top, one in midfield and I even think he's better than most of our defenders as well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the quotes. Whether you agree with either of them, they are arguing about an has been. No doubting his past record but he is/was one of the worlds best players who is setting a shocking example. If it was a young pro he would be out. He is setting a poor example as a senior player. Tarnished his Utd reputation me thinks.

His ego is writing cheques that his body can no longer cash.