The Cricket Thread

JRS7

Visit site
Need some quick wickets to put Pakistan under pressure. Scoring so fast in the first innings means a win is still more than possible for England.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good last hour for England opens up the option of trying to set up a final inns chase with a declaration late on tomorrow. How you work out when you declare on a pitch like this Im not so sure though. 350+ in a day and a few overs maybe

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Excitingly attacking declaration or plain stupid?

Somehow England have scored over 900 runs at a run a ball and then made Pakistan favourites by declaring :eek:

I'm happy to finally see a management team that are trying to win test matches rather than not lose them. Yes, it's possibly a risky declaration and gives Pakistan a chance to win the match but equally gives us a better chance to win than if we'd set them a total of 450+. Good to see the back of the boring "don't lose" strategy that we seemed to display under Root, Cook and Strauss. I would far rather we lost a match while trying to win it than watch a boring final day petering out to a draw.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to finally see a management team that are trying to win test matches rather than not lose them. Yes, it's possibly a risky declaration and gives Pakistan a chance to win the match but equally gives us a better chance to win than if we'd set them a total of 450+. Good to see the back of the boring "don't lose" strategy that we seemed to display under Root, Cook and Strauss. I would far rather we lost a match while trying to win it than watch a boring final day petering out to a draw.

Interestingly, when they declared, Englands odds (and percentage chance of winning) barely changed. Big changes in Pakistans and the draws.

Very hard to argue from an entertainment perspective England have made a thrilling test finish out a game that almost always would be a cert draw because of an awful pitch. From a win (or dont lose) at all costs its more debatable :) Still not sure where I sit, was always going to be an attacking dec but this has really pushed the envelope. Lets hope the ball starts to reverse

Grizzly

Visit site
It was probably the right call, give or take. They might not have expected to stay on quite as long tonight, and had they known might - and I stress might - have had another three or four overs after tea. For all the talk of Pakistan being favourites now, they are heavily reliant on Imam tomorrow.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
If England win this, the only debate will be if it is Ben Stokes or Gareth Southgate can tell the British sporting public to go bleep themselves for doubting them.