The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
England should be scoring loads of runs this summer if this round of County Champs is anything to go by. As of now (just after lunch on day 2) , all 4 teams batting first in Div 1 have got over 450 runs, 3 of them over 500!
So, is the answer:
a. Batters are really good
b. Bowlers are really bad
c. Pitches are being prepared to over help batters

I know which answer I suspect is the right one :rolleyes:

flat pitches and a ball with a lower seam

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sometimes I do not understand the logic in County Cricket and when to declare. Lancashire have drawn their last 2 games and were on top in theory in both matches.

Batting 2nd day 450/4 with 55 overs left today. Why not bat for another 20 overs say at 6/7 per over and declare rather than going along @3.5 per over. Realise about the follow on but it will still be a big ask for Yorkshire to avoid the follow on. Nothing to lose!

Over to you more knowledgeable guys, Fundy Billy B. LP etc

Big argument that sides dont go hard enough early enough ahead of declaring, this def sounds like one o those declaring 4 down. a lot of sides have got better with playing more T20 etc but theres still an outdated mindset a lot of the time (safety first)

In 4 day cricket if you bat much past lunch on day 2 you really dont leave a lot of time to get the other side under pressure

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Big argument that sides dont go hard enough early enough ahead of declaring, this def sounds like one o those declaring 4 down. a lot of sides have got better with playing more T20 etc but theres still an outdated mindset a lot of the time (safety first)

In 4 day cricket if you bat much past lunch on day 2 you really dont leave a lot of time to get the other side under pressure
You are correct Steve. The run rate has gone down with Salt, England International scoring at less than 3 an over and the other around 2. they have now had 154 overs, 6 wickets down . They should be around 560 declared given Anderson a few overs before tea. 20 minutes rest and final 30 overs to give them time to bowl them out twice.

greenone

Visit site
England should be scoring loads of runs this summer if this round of County Champs is anything to go by. As of now (just after lunch on day 2) , all 4 teams batting first in Div 1 have got over 450 runs, 3 of them over 500!
So, is the answer:
a. Batters are really good
b. Bowlers are really bad
c. Pitches are being prepared to over help batters

I know which answer I suspect is the right one :rolleyes:

d. This year's batch of balls aren't doing much.

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The BBC reporting that Kent have not bowled a team out for under 500 in their first innings yet this season. And Surrey then put up nearly 700 without anyone even getting a ton.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a step forward for England I believe. Too often England try not to lose rather than try to win. He will change that.

Exactly this. I would far rather see England lose a few games while trying to get a win rather than drawing some games while trying not to lose. Under both Cook and Root it seemed that trying to avoid defeat was the biggest ambition and winning was secondary, leading to some of the most negative cricket possible.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting article from Telegraph about the role of Private schools in cricket. When our son went to secondary, we took the opportunity to tour some private schools.. the facility on offer are incredible (so is the competition for places)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/05/11/revealed-great-private-school-cricket-arms-race/
I umpired on Radley and Wellington College's 'plastic' hockey pitches a few months after leaving NZ, where there was precisely 1 in the entire country!

D

Deleted member 15344

Kevin Pieterson constantly going on about Franchise County cricket - complete ? end

Grizzly

Visit site
You are correct Steve. The run rate has gone down with Salt, England International scoring at less than 3 an over and the other around 2. they have now had 154 overs, 6 wickets down . They should be around 560 declared given Anderson a few overs before tea. 20 minutes rest and final 30 overs to give them time to bowl them out twice.

I do sometimes think that teams have a number and time in mind and stick to it religiously. In fairness to Lancashire here, the bowling was set out to be very dry from the off, and I'm not sure any equation is winnable on a perfect deck in the sun.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Goes from bad to worse for Australian cricket this year, Andrew Symonds been killed in a car accident :( Sad news
Tragic news. not without controversy. he was sent home I think from a tour because he missed a team meeting after going fishing!

Played a bit of County Cricket and at 46 What a sad loss.

RIP Andrew Symonds.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tragic news. not without controversy. he was sent home I think from a tour because he missed a team meeting after going fishing!

Played a bit of County Cricket and at 46 What a sad loss.

RIP Andrew Symonds.

I watched him in 20/20 at beckenham and he kept charging wasim Akram.

He was a beast of a player who absolutely smashed the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the batsman is a plank there in all honesty. That comes from a former batsman :LOL:. The bowler whipping the bails off when a batsman is backing up, not excessively, grinds my gears but in this instance I think he is fair game. Sorry @Beezerk :D