The Cricket Thread

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant stuff from Joe Root, proper captain's performance. It was these sorts of innings that, for me, had him behind Kohli, Smith and Williamson in the past. Perhaps he is on the way to reaching the same level.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Brilliant stuff from Joe Root, proper captain's performance. It was these sorts of innings that, for me, had him behind Kohli, Smith and Williamson in the past. Perhaps he is on the way to reaching the same level.
India will be his yard stick. If he goes well there then yup.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

hes been outstanding, different level stuff for sure

fun couple of days ahead, if Galle is anything like its normal self then weve pretty much got a 1 inns shoot out coming. Wouldnt want to be chasing much more than 175 and 200+ be a big ask. Now to work out how to get out of bed at the right time :)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the flip side, does BBL stand for Big Bore League?! Stuff keeps appearing on my Twitter feed but it just seems to be the same thing every day. Team One in a dayglo kit chasing a total somewhere between 160 and 190 set by team two in another dayglo kit.

Professional T20 really has become an identikit / formulaic format.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the flip side, does BBL stand for Big Bore League?! Stuff keeps appearing on my Twitter feed but it just seems to be the same thing every day. Team One in a dayglo kit chasing a total somewhere between 160 and 190 set by team two in another dayglo kit.

ask anyone who won a game the previous week and what the score was. shows how memorable it is

same set of mercenaries players traipsing round different countries and doing the same thing week in week out. each to their own but does nothing for me (and has greatly damaged a sport i used to love)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ask anyone who won a game the previous week and what the score was. shows how memorable it is

same set of mercenaries players traipsing round different countries and doing the same thing week in week out. each to their own but does nothing for me (and has greatly damaged a sport i used to love)

I generally head down to the Rose Bowl for a T20 match each summer but you are right, it's the zenith of consumerism: attend, consume, forget. Repeat.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's the equivalent of a McDonald's. Instant gratification but then quickly forgotten.

I'll watch England playing one if nothing else is on but the league stuff around the world holds no interest at all for me. Not helped by the artificial nature of the teams and the ever changing mercenaries for hire.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yes and No..
I agree it is pretty formaliac.. but it also provides a livelihood for a whole host of players who could not get into their national league.. Only 11 can represent a country, but IPL, BBL, CPL providing an outlet for players who would otherwise need a second job to pay for their passion. For the consumer, it is just like McDonalds.. always a thrill. It has also lifted the fielding levels across all formats.

For those bored with T20.. please head to T10 for even faster results :)

Did anyone see a Sam Billings stumping... the poor guy got out at both ends.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bravo Dom Sibley! Hopefully that'll shut up his detractors for 5 mins. Give these guys a chance to learn how to play in spinning conditions seeing as they dont get much chance in the county game.

D

Deleted member 18588

Don't know if it has already been commented upon but Fahad Alam's stance when facing the quicks achieves the impossible.

It makes Peter Willey seem orthodox. Not knowing the guy I looked up to see him for the first time and for a moment couldn't work out if he was left or right handed.

Still it's a good fight back by Pakistan.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't know if it has already been commented upon but Fahad Alam's stance when facing the quicks achieves the impossible.

It makes Peter Willey seem orthodox. Not knowing the guy I looked up to see him for the first time and for a moment couldn't work out if he was left or right handed.

Still it's a good fight back by Pakistan.

had to google him.. interesting is one way to describe it..