The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... wonderful exhibition of what test cricket is all about. Could not have won by a more deserving side. Well played guys and hopefully it heals some of the scars from 2019.

... India played well to get here (esp the series in Australia), but could not bring their A-game. Hopefully, they will give Kohli a break from Test captaincy and let Rahane run the show.

now off to watch some crash wallop against Sri Lanka..

PS: Absolutely loath the LPGA advt '... its all about the Benjamins. babies'

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
New Zealand are such a good team. Glad they beat India to win the championship.

Little island like that has the best rugby and cricket team on the planet on a regular basis. Amazing
Coming from a Saffi, that's high praise! BTW. There's more than 1 island!!

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not keen on Michael Vaughan as a commentator, and even less Phil Tufnell. Thank heaven Sky retain the lion’s share of cricket coverage.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not keen on Michael Vaughan as a commentator, and even less Phil Tufnell. Thank heaven Sky retain the lion’s share of cricket coverage.

Vaughan is toxic. I think he keeps getting gigs because he is controversial. A modern day Boycott although at least Boycott's nauseating shtick is largely about either himself or cricket. Largely himself and his cricket.

Tufnell is a microcosm of TMS as a whole for me. When he first joined TMS he was entertaining and insightful but has gone too far down the loveable rogue route and has almost become a parody of himself. Much like TMS he seems to have lost his way a little when it comes to commentary. Listening to Jeremy Coney during the WTC Final demonstrated how the level of commentary has dropped.

Interestingly, I found the commentary during the women's test refreshing. Alex Hartley and Izzy Westbury were very good. They stuck largely to cricket and cricketing issues and seemed very knowledgeable rather than try and create a new version of the golden days of TMS which is where present day TMS is going wrong for me. There's a lot of tomfoolery about women commentators but, like the men, there are some very good commentators and some poor equivalents. I still remember te former Aussie player Mel Jones was excellent during the 2019 World Cup.

Similarly, I've been watching some of the Irish Interpros cricket on Cricket Live's You Tube stream and their commentary is very good. Perhaps not being encumbered with the whole BBC / TMS aura allows them to just commentate and they do it well.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jimmy Anderson has just taken his 1000th first class wicket. Some effort that considering more than half of them have been in test matches!!!! He has 5/3 so far today and been utterly unplayable lol

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jimmy Anderson has just taken his 1000th first class wicket. Some effort that considering more than half of them have been in test matches!!!! He has 5/3 so far today and been utterly unplayable lol
He has 6 for 8 after 8 overs at the moment - if it was an Under 11s game they would take him off to give the others a chance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3 players and 4 backroom squad tested positive and the whole England squad now self isolating.

Stokes to captain a completely different side against Pakistan in the ODI now. Be interesting to see who gets a hit