The Cricket Thread

D

Deleted member 18588

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He has merely become a latter day Boycott, and just about as irrelevant.

Like Sir Geoffrey he conveniently overlooks his own failures.

He was agreat batsman but certainly not infallible and, on those days he was renowned for it never being his fault.

Vaughan was the latter day Boycott but recently he has gone to a whole new level of ignorance and narcissism.

KP is like Warne, there are nuggets of brilliant insight but they are bombarded with too much egocentric guff.

Gavaskar is reaching Boycott proportions in his one-eyed commentary.

At the moment I'm loving Mark Butcher's comms, he has been excellent.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Vaughan was the latter day Boycott but recently he has gone to a whole new level of ignorance and narcissism.

KP is like Warne, there are nuggets of brilliant insight but they are bombarded with too much egocentric guff.

Gavaskar is reaching Boycott proportions in his one-eyed commentary.

At the moment I'm loving Mark Butcher's comms, he has been excellent.

Butcher was utterly superb, breath of fresh air when he first started on sky, sadly he got drawn into the "old boys club" on there, has been better away from it again this series

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Butcher was utterly superb, breath of fresh air when he first started on sky, sadly he got drawn into the "old boys club" on there, has been better away from it again this series

I've only heard him on C4 as I refuse to get Sky so sounds like i've heard the best of him!

D

Deleted member 18588

I've only heard him on C4 as I refuse to get Sky so sounds like i've heard the best of him!
Agree about Butcher. Particularly impressed that unlike Alec Stewart he can see beyond Surrey's County boundaries.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently tomorrow was due to be a rest day in the Pakistan Super League. (they've postponed today's match due to COVID positive tests so today is now the de facto rest day) It shows you how ridiculous the sport has become when you need a rest day in a T20 tournament.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently it's a rest day in the Pakistan Super League. It shows you how ridiculous the sport has become when you need a rest day in a T20 tournament.

Not a rest day, Fawad Ahmed who was due to play tested positive for covid so the game was postponed until tomorrow (now all the others have tested negative)

D

Deleted member 18588

Thought i'd put this on here as well if anyone's interested. Tis a blog piece about how the pink ball is probably not the way forward for spectators at day-night tests:

https://yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com/2021/02/28/frivolous-observations-night-vision/
Having attended the day/nighter Test against West Indies at Edgbaston I can confirm that I would agree with the writer.

The pink ball isn't easy to follow, mind you judging by the Windies batting on the Saturday it also isn't easy to spot out in the middle. ?

sunshine

Visit site

Vaughan believes his own ego.

Last week he was bleating on about how AZ and others should be giving away the COVID vaccine for free. Ill informed and ignorant.

He's not learned from his bumbling interviewing at the Masters (the BBC learnt), loved it when Tiger corrected him.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have to love the armchair analysts on the BBC website, right out of the Boycott Class of Second Guessing. They spend the entire third Test bleating about the batting and lack of spin in the team. England bring in Bess and Lawrence for Broad & Archer. Now they start whining there is not enough pace options in the line-up. Truly unreal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh for the days of the wonderful Richie Benaud. 'Only speak if you have something to say' was his mantra. Directors seem to be afraid of dead air time now so the commentators are pushed to talk constantly, discuss points which are simply not relevant or interesting at that moment. I think the fault for incessant jabbering lies behind the scenes.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's the constant jabbering from the Indian players between balls that does my head in :rolleyes:

I think there has always been chatter in the middle in every country. Directors should lowr the vol on the stump microphone.

200-225 looks like a good score with 3 spinners in the side/