The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very nicely poised game.. a proper test match - unlike what we thought on Day 1

Next generation stepping up on both sides. Anything beyond 150-170 it will be difficult one for India. Question is what approach will Eng take. Rush to get there or play it out. I am assuming 100/125 lead tonight and then bazball after a 150/175.. win for 250.

Then we will all praise pitch and bazball as we head 2-2 into the final match. On that note, good to have a proper 5 test match series rather than a Mickey Mouse ‘1 off’ or 2 or 3 match..

Brain dump over

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
watching some cricket on either side of tea.. pitch is still a taking point. It seems to swing from praise for playing well and then spinning like a top. What is it? It seems to go to sleep and then wake up.. can’t make its mind up.

Either way.. above 200 will be a tough ask. Unless BCCI relays the pitch overnight ..

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not sure I understand Foakes’ approach here. It’s all well and good occupying the crease but, given the state of the game, he surely has to keep the board ticking over. If he’s still there at the close and we’ve added half a dozen there are still two days in this game.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So there you have it. India rattling along at 5 an over on a pitch England found impossible.

I absolutely get it that India’s spinners are world class. But with Foakes almost out of partners surely he had to go on the attack. Eating up a dozen overs whilst scoring the same number of runs seems a futile exercise, when another 20/30 runs may well have put the game beyond India.

I may well wake tomorrow to find the series level at 2-2, and me eating a huge slab of humble pie for breakfast. But I doubt it.

Grizzly

Visit site
On the positive, looks like we have some new young stars (on both sides).... How much time before Bashir is seduced by shorter format and gives up red ball cricket
Do you see him as a short format player? I would have thought his skill set - height, control, over spin - are more suited to long term success in the longer format of the game.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you see him as a short format player? I would have thought his skill set - height, control, over spin - are more suited to long term success in the longer format of the game.

but the shorter format translates to money.... Was it Nick on commentary who was saying that Bashir was struggling with the age-group cricket with Surrey and Middlesex, and Minor Counties like Berkshire. He got some mentoring by Leach which turned his game. It will be great if we can keep him spinning in the ashes, but there is too much competition for red ball spinners once Leach is back. So he will be thinking for himself too (cant blame it, after being knocked around in the early years).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
but the shorter format translates to money.... Was it Nick on commentary who was saying that Bashir was struggling with the age-group cricket with Surrey and Middlesex, and Minor Counties like Berkshire. He got some mentoring by Leach which turned his game. It will be great if we can keep him spinning in the ashes, but there is too much competition for red ball spinners once Leach is back. So he will be thinking for himself too (cant blame it, after being knocked around in the early years).

too much competition for red ball spinners? seriously?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
too much competition for red ball spinners? seriously?
Currently who do we have Leach, Hartley and Bashir as pure spinners. Maybe even Rehan Ahmed. Usually we have a slot for 1 spinner, max 2. this is not counting the option of Rashid.

sunshine

Visit site
I absolutely get it that India’s spinners are world class. But with Foakes almost out of partners surely he had to go on the attack. Eating up a dozen overs whilst scoring the same number of runs seems a futile exercise,

I agree but don't think we can blame Foakes, he was just trying to survive.

I think the turning point was Jurel and the tail adding 50 runs more that expected at the end of India's first innings. That was enough to spark a fight back and England just crumbled. Either pre or post bazball, I always feel this England group is never far away from a batting collapse when put under pressure.

Grizzly

Visit site
Currently who do we have Leach, Hartley and Bashir as pure spinners. Maybe even Rehan Ahmed. Usually we have a slot for 1 spinner, max 2. this is not counting the option of Rashid.

Its odd competition - Hartley and Bashir will be second choice for their counties next season after all - though I can think of a few more who look decent enough bowlers (to the extent that you can tell in the seam friendly conditions that persist in the Championship) - Dom Bess has test experience, then you have the two Parkinson's, Dan Moriarty, Jack Carson.