The Cricket Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this a results pitch or will India drop anchor and crawl towards a decent score, eating up playing time?
If the pitch is as bad as described you are looking at each team batting around 1 day each, maybe slightly more. By day 4 it should start to be a lottery and day 5 a team could collapse in a session. I'm not sure eating up time will be enough, again depending on whether the pitch ends up being as iffy as it looks. This should be a result match.

D

Deleted member 15344

Test match cricket is being seriously hampered by pitch preparation. The conspiracy theorist might argue that they are looking to get these shortened to 4 days as a rule......

You would think but then the governing bodies lose income from a 5th day 🤷‍♂️

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some serious cracks on that pitch, albeit length looks fairly solid. A spinner’s dream but, potentially, some nasty lifters on anything short of a length from the quickies. Looking a little green too.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You would think but then the governing bodies lose income from a 5th day 🤷‍♂️
What 5th day..... :oops:

Genuinely only English and Kiwi pitches that promote that sort of play. South Africa have dished up some right dross to play on lately. Australia is either flooded or on fire so they have poor wickets now. India just make it turn from ball 1. The other nations aren't playing masses of test cricket either.

It really bugs me that some test tours are 2 matches.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As per ECB > Rehan Ahmed will return home for personal reasons.

He will not be returning to India and we will not be naming a replacement.

RichA

Visit site
I think the pitch has taken bazball out of the equation 🤦‍♂️
It might make some of the reviews interesting. Just seen the Stokes dismissal. Hawkeye/Spin Vision wasn't needed, but when they showed the front on view the predicted path was 6 inches up his bat. From the side you could see it kept so low it went under the toe and almost bounced twice.

Grizzly

Visit site
Some serious cracks on that pitch, albeit length looks fairly solid. A spinner’s dream but, potentially, some nasty lifters on anything short of a length from the quickies. Looking a little green too.

I've seen a few like this over the years - though not usually in India, it has to be said, its more often a Caribbean thing - surviving the new hard ball will be a nightmare for anyone but for a little while at least it will be manageable to survive against the old ball. Real shame Wood wasn't fit for this game, the kind of deviation he might get at 95mph would be...dangerous!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Genuine English cricket fans are the luckiest bunch on the planet. The ECB still have 3 match series each summer (minimum) with the odd lesser amount against Sri Lanka/Windies/Zim etc.

The Ashes are bloody amazing! Finest cricket contest there will ever be.

Luckiest? almost like theyve invested a lot more than other countries fans in tickets over the last 20 years! Constantly fill the grounds against almost all oppositions unlike pretty much every other country. The ECB are sadly a joke and cant wait to sell their fans down the river for the new breed with attention deficit who love the 'undred

Could be worse I guess, our board could send the C team away for a test series..................

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've seen a few like this over the years - though not usually in India, it has to be said, its more often a Caribbean thing - surviving the new hard ball will be a nightmare for anyone but for a little while at least it will be manageable to survive against the old ball. Real shame Wood wasn't fit for this game, the kind of deviation he might get at 95mph would be...dangerous!

spot on, you tend ot have 30 overs to do the real damage then the softer ball tends to do far far less damage. Massive day tomorrow for England, expect they need to have India 100/5 to be in the game

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting strategy from India. With back to back tests I assume the pitch was a pre-medidated plan before the thrashing in the last test.

People saying the pitch is a leveller, but I think India were predicting England to turn up slogging and get bowled out quickly, wheareas India will bat sensibly and stick around. Joe Root thought otherwise

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is turning out to be a good test.. India won’t fancy chasing 400 in the fourth inning…

I want to see if BCCi has got power to change the pitch for the fourth inning 🥹