The Battle of the Auld Enemy-Goswick G.C.-20th/21st Feb 09.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Okay troops I have the finalised details for the England v Scotland Forum Challenge match taking place next week at Berwick upon Tweed (Goswick) Golf Club...

The 1st tee off time on Friday is 11.52am so you can meet in the clubhouse any time before that,food will be available,bacon rolls and the like from 9am onwards for anyone needing breakfast after a long drive,I will be down from 9ish putting out the nearest the pin/straightest drive markers so I will keep my eyes open for you arriving.

The 1st day pairings are as follows:-

11.52: TonyN (18) & Dave Harris (13) v John Findlay (9) & Stuart Douglas (13).
12.00: Ivan Martin (2) & Craig Fairbrass (10) v David Boal (11) & Fraser Moore (10).
12.08: Rick Gajewski (9) & Graham Johnson (14) v Harvey Thomson (6) & Peter Sinclair (15).
12.16: Tim Robinson (11) & Mike Melville (9) v Andy Richmond (13) & John Boag (11).
12.24: Chris Kissane (12) & Steve Clifford (25) v Allan Rodger (2) & Andy Wardrop (11).

Our official starter is clearing his voice as I type....

Friday format will be:-

Better ball matchplay with 3/4 H'cp diff being taken from the lowest man in the 4.
2 points will be awarded for a win and 1 for a halved match.

Saturday 1st tee off time is 10.22am and we will be playing a slightly more complicated format but one I feel that will keep everyone involved up to the 18th regardless of if you are playing like a dog :-

Pairings Better ball Stableford with 3/4 of Handicap allowance, so if say me and David Boal where to get a better ball stableford total of 42 points against the Englands pairing of 41 points better ball then Scotland would take the 2 points for the win in that match.

Again 2 points for a win and 1 for a halved match so overall the magical number each country is looking for is 11!

Alongside this we propose to run an Individual Stableford with full handicap allowance on the Individual card as opposed to the 3/4 allowance in the Better Ball card.
This means that on Saturday everyone will be holing out so the beer touch from 18 inches will be tested!!

After play ends on Friday I have a 2 course meal arranged at the club and after that we will head back into Berwick get showered etc and meet up later for a few ales and discuss the days play.

We have various prizes lined up for over the weekend for nearest the pins each day(4 par 3's so 4 prizes to play for both days there),straightest drive(Greenkeeper will have drawn a white line up the 7th fairway,closest to the white line wins a prize there each day) and various prizes for the Individual Stableford competition on the Saturday....all we need now is the weather to smile upon us!!

Just to let you know again the costs are £30 for the golf and £10 for the food so a total of £40 for the event.
If you could let me have that on arrival I will settle up with the club.

We intend to play the full course both days as the Greenkeeper has agreed to putting out the Medal tees on the Summer tees so we can play off these instead of the Winter tees but I think that we should take stock after round 1 and see what tees everyone wishes to play off on the Saturday as the course could be playing fairley long at 6700yrds in the cold whereas the winters are more like 6000yrds but that is something we can discuss over a few ales.

Finally if anyone needs any help with anything at all in the run up you can contact me on 07872338227.....I will be without Forum access from tomorrow lunchtime until Monday morning as I am in Glasgow for the weekend so Mobile would be best way of contacting me.

Looking forward to it,make sure your games are finely tuned by the 20th Scotland players and I look forward to a heatwave come the 1st tee!!

Cheers.

Dodger. (Allan Rodger)

DCB

Visit site
Thanks for the update and all the work in getting this organised.

Beginning to feel like a kid before Christmas, I can't wait !

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Excellent work, El Capitano.

Aha. I knew it. Paired against TonyN and Vig on day one. I saw it coming after mentioning in another thread that I hoped not to draw "el bandito" Tony. I'm not liking the sound of all that practice he's getting in.

You English lads should have an easy game. StuartD and I are at the other end of an Old Firm rivalry so we'll probably be fighting amongst ourselves by the turn!

:p :p

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just need to shake off the old man flu, and get about 3 weeks practice, and I will be ready. Ah, hole in the plan, only 1 week left.

Looking forward to it guys.

Drawn a bit of a tough pairing, but we get all the shots.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Aha. I knew it. Paired against TonyN and Vig on day one. I saw it coming after mentioning in another thread that I hoped not to draw "el bandito" Tony. I'm not liking the sound of all that practice he's getting in.

You English lads should have an easy game. StuartD and I are at the other end of an Old Firm rivalry so we'll probably be fighting amongst ourselves by the turn!

Had a feeling TonyN would be out first.

No need to worry about us fighting John. Come next Friday the Gers will be top of the league and i shall be a picture of calmness. :rolleyes:

More worryingly, i have only had a club in my hand once since the Craigielaw meet :eek: :eek:

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another 65 was it, Stuart? Practice, eh. Overrated.

Just don't bring your flute again, mate. It put me off that 6th birdie in a row last time, remember.

P.S. Please don't make a 9 in a row joke! :D

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have Great faith in you Murph.

Dodger and i are hoping things will not change for the friday but he has given me a heads up about Robo who has not been on the forum for a while.

I have emailed him and i will ring him also. Has anyone had any contact with him i know he has booked his accommodation.

Robo where are you???

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well Dodger for taking time to Organize the Event, just hope we get a better result than the football team did last night

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
slightly more than a 65 john. Got a birdie 3 on the first extra hole for, so that made a total of 67 :D

Dodger, I have checked the league table and confirm that, come Sunday night, Celtic shall be more than 5 point ahead of Scotlands shame that is Hearts disciplinary record

Robo

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry guys had loads on at work
and my sky e-mail is playing up.
All fine cheers and looking forward to it.
I have sent you a PM Doh.

Robo

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site

Had a feeling TonyN would be out first.

No need to worry about us fighting John. Come next Friday the Gers will be top of the league and i shall be a picture of calmness. :rolleyes:

More worryingly, i have only had a club in my hand once since the Craigielaw meet :eek: :eek:

I just hope Tony is on his game cos it appears like i've forgot how to swing a club :D

Really looking forward to it. I must admit JF that I had a premonition that we would be paired with you. Spooky

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
J_F you did it with that thread didnt you! :D

Dodger, Big thankyou for orgasing all this, my idea of this meet was not as grand as it has turned out, so thanks. Really looking forward to this now.

Stuart what makes you say that? Me out first?

Dave thanks for the added pressure mate! :D

BAGSY not getting the first tee shot away :D seeing as we are home team, i think it's only fair we let our guests lead the way :p

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mad, since we have to get it on, as it were, the less practice you get the better. hopefully Allan will be off his game too (these low handicaps can be hard to play to), and the southern boys can nick a quick point or so.

The only practice I can get at the moment is putting on my indoor mat, s by the time the game comes round, anything under 6 foot is a gimme, right?