The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_2023-08-04-17-25-36-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
@jim8flog it's also wrong they cover 70% reduction as per the Tesla website

So a moot point

This thread is full of people will various reason why they don't want EVs , I'm yet to find someone on here that's had an EV who won't get another one , proofs in the pudding

(I mean people on here and not random daily mail, etc articles from people who have bought EVs without research and wish they could do 1000 miles a day)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It just goes to show you need to do your own research via manufacturers as well as articles online and not rely on them to tell you what they think.

True but having read a Reuters investigative report on Tesla's response to customers about battery and range problems I am not sure I would trust what Tesla says on it's own website.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back from Scotland - EV charging still fairly cheap if not free (St Andrews) and better than petrol/diesel rates. get into England and 79p a KW kills any savings and let's talk about limited chargers at key times and slow speeds if sharing a charger.

50kw chargers are too slow I've got a ZOE that charges @ 50kw max PAINFUL on trip BEST pull was 43KW. EV's great for trips that are within your range 190 miles for me (charging at home is still a win) they drive great, there smooth but I need to break even not lose money when I go on holiday luckily it's few times a year. IF you use it for work sadly old fuel is back WINNING.

next car is a year will be back to fossil fuel unless BP & Shell leave the charging market or reduce the prices.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
EV's great for trips that are within your range 190 miles for me (charging at home is still a win) they drive great, there smooth but I need to break even not lose money when I go on holiday luckily it's few times a year. IF you use it for work sadly old fuel is back WINNING.
Isn’t that where you have to weigh up between a car which is great for 51 weeks if the year or 1 week of the year?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Isn’t that where you have to weigh up between a car which is great for 51 weeks if the year or 1 week of the year?
100% and that was written after it took 10hrs to get home from St Andrews and 3+hrs longer than it should due to BPPulse being dreadful. finding cheap chargers on trips doesn't work. we had £300 with BPpulse main issue most aren't on the route your taking so detour central. moving forward I'll just use any charger available so should make life easier.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
100% and that was written after it took 10hrs to get home from St Andrews and 3+hrs longer than it should due to BPPulse being dreadful. finding cheap chargers on trips doesn't work. we had £300 with BPpulse main issue most aren't on the route your taking so detour central. moving forward I'll just use any charger available so should make life easier.

When I first started looking at EVs, chargers were being installed at a rate of around 400-500 per month. In July 2023 they installed 1999 new chargers.
Patience

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
When I first started looking at EVs, chargers were being installed at a rate of around 400-500 per month. In July 2023 they installed 1999 new chargers.
Patience
No Patience HERE :) I see Tesla V4 are being rolled out and cheaper than most, could be a good move for the odd road trip not costing a small fortune. whoever thought letting Shell and BP take over chargers was good for the future of EV and savings over fossil fuel. I'm all for saving the world but ideally not me paying to save the planet.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When charging should the headlights be on/ shining ??.
My neighbour's headlights seem to stay on when charging.
My electric bike does this when charging.
there is no way to turn them off.
I think it’s a bit wasteful ,never heard of a car that does it.

They are also DRLs so on all the time when riding also.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

On a side note Bob how you finding that leaf? We have decided that the Kia will be the next car and then by a year or so later (2026) we thinking a leaf to replace the big car as they will be out of car seats

ATM can pick up the 40kw model for 15k which would be perfect for a run around with the Kia being the work horse

64kw Kia for the family and 40kw for run arounds when we need both cars

Very viable and tbh not too expensive

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On a side note Bob how you finding that leaf? We have decided that the Kia will be the next car and then by a year or so later (2026) we thinking a leaf to replace the big car as they will be out of car seats

ATM can pick up the 40kw model for 15k which would be perfect for a run around with the Kia being the work horse

64kw Kia for the family and 40kw for run arounds when we need both cars

Very viable and tbh not too expensive

It's ideal for me, not to big, not too small and I can charge it at home.
Plus, my leccy bill is coming down next month so even cheaper to charge.
Not massive range though (about 150 miles) but that's plenty for me.
The Kia Niro is around 250 miles

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's ideal for me, not to big, not too small and I can charge it at home.
Plus, my leccy bill is coming down next month so even cheaper to charge.
Not massive range though (about 150 miles) but that's plenty for me.
The Kia Niro is around 250 miles

Yeah 250 will be more than enough for most trips and considering work is 50 round trip I can manage with a leaf when the Kia is out or wife can run the kids about locally with it