The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Range. Time to "refuel". Those are huge issues that nobody who is an EV fan tries to answer, plus, now we have the battery life which we're going to start seeing more and more horror stories as batteries start dying.

I'm with IanM, we're at the 3310 stage, I don't even want a Blackberry, I want a car that doesn;t give me the inconvenience of the current electric cars, that has 5400 mile range, and has a battery that will last 20 years/200,000 miles. Give me that and I'll give it serious consideration

Of course by the time that comes along, the cost of running an EV will be taxed to make up for the lost petrol/diesel revenue, so your cost savings will have gone.

Works both ways tho. Anti ev will not accept any compromise in what they have now . The middle ground can be swayed

The new mg ev 250 mile range that's decent

My car charge from 20-80% on a 100kw charge is 20 mins

Leave home full, stop at 20 % which if working on average of 170 range is 136 miles driven

Plug in, have a wee break and a drink. In that time it's at 80% and I'm good for another 100 miles (down to 20%)

Now really for safety reasons alone should you drive over 100 miles in a go? Prob not but we do. The highway code suggests a break every 2 hours , how many do? 100 miles roughly 2 hours so the theory works but in practice too many factors

Have to look how far you drive regularly rather than the one off 600 miles in a day drive

If you have a good charging network around you and you can do the distance it's worth it

If like me you have a driveway and drive reasonable distance for your range it's worth it

I'll plug in tonight after 2 days of 50 miles a day and wake up with a full charge

That for me works, and next time I want to replace this ev with one with 250 mile - 300 range and a bigger boot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Range. Time to "refuel". Those are huge issues that nobody who is an EV fan tries to answer, plus, now we have the battery life which we're going to start seeing more and more horror stories as batteries start dying.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm with IanM, we're at the 3310 stage, I don't even want a Blackberry, I want a car that doesn;t give me the inconvenience of the current electric cars, that has 5400 mile range, and has a battery that will last 20 years/200,000 miles. Give me that and I'll give it serious consideration

Ridiculous statement

Of course by the time that comes along, the cost of running an EV will be taxed to make up for the lost petrol/diesel revenue, so your cost savings will have gone.

How about the improved air quality in towns and cities that children breathe every day. Saving money isn't everything.

RichA

Visit site
Works both ways tho. Anti ev will not accept any compromise in what they have now . The middle ground can be swayed

The new mg ev 250 mile range that's decent

My car charge from 20-80% on a 100kw charge is 20 mins

Leave home full, stop at 20 % which if working on average of 170 range is 136 miles driven

Plug in, have a wee break and a drink. In that time it's at 80% and I'm good for another 100 miles (down to 20%)

Now really for safety reasons alone should you drive over 100 miles in a go? Prob not but we do. The highway code suggests a break every 2 hours , how many do? 100 miles roughly 2 hours so the theory works but in practice too many factors

Have to look how far you drive regularly rather than the one off 600 miles in a day drive

If you have a good charging network around you and you can do the distance it's worth it

If like me you have a driveway and drive reasonable distance for your range it's worth it

I'll plug in tonight after 2 days of 50 miles a day and wake up with a full charge

That for me works, and next time I want to replace this ev with one with 250 mile - 300 range and a bigger boot
My most frequent journey of any distance is once every week or 2 to see my Dad, 128 miles away. It takes me 2 1/2 hours and I do each leg in one go. Would an adapter for a standard 240v socket provide enough charge in a few hours to stave off range anxiety for the homeward journey? Mostly doing this round trip in a day and not wishing to spend an hour in a service station is the main thing that puts me off looking at EVs at the moment.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My most frequent journey of any distance is once every week or 2 to see my Dad, 128 miles away. It takes me 2 1/2 hours and I do each leg in one go. Would an adapter for a standard 240v socket provide enough charge in a few hours to stave off range anxiety for the homeward journey? Mostly doing this round trip in a day and not wishing to spend an hour in a service station is the main thing that puts me off looking at EVs at the moment.

Depends how long you stay with him, and the range of the battery.
What you could do is help him out by taking him shopping and if you have a local Tesco, many of them have free charging so you could charge while you shop. Failing that stop off on the way home and charge for 15 mins, that would give you enough to get home, you don't need to stop for an hour.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I heard somewhere than an hour in a socket gives about 5 miles of range. Very generalised, and not sure if it makes any sense as I still work in l/100km myself ;-)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fifth Gear Recharged TV show did an episode on Norway - big EV adoption - recently and they showed a EV from China (Nio) where you don't recharge the battery as much as swap it out by driving into a shed-like structure where the machinery comes out of the flor and swaps it over for a new one unless than 5 mins. Saves on charging time, but also could do away with battery ageing too.
/QUOTE]

I wonder why they didn't mention anticipaeted cost! Would imagine that it's a (relatively) costly operation to set up and run so a pure guess would be at least half the cost of a full tank of petrol every time :unsure:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you plug in a standard plug socket depends on the lead but even on a 10a limited one you get 2kw an hour .. mine I can crank up to 13a and push 3kw out .. I set to 10 so I don't blow ring mains when plugging in if someone offers me .. work have an outside plug I can use and we don't wnna risk blowing the building so just set to 10

So depends on size of battery and how long your there

4 hour visit on the 10a plug 8kw added , 13a plug 12kw added

On a 45kw battery like mine that's just under 20% battery and just over 25% on the 13

So going by fag packet maths as they say

45 kw gets say 170 miles - 128 miles plus the 34 from 20% no it wouldn't starve off range issues

However I suspect you would have a bigger battery than a Corsa? So if you had like a 62kw battery you should be fine

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ridiculous statement

Typo, clearly I meant 500 mile range, ie a full tank for most cars.

And what's ridiculous about 20 year engine life? Most diesels you're looking nearer half a million than 200k.

And yes you may laugh about explaining range & refuelling, PJ87 has just done it. Load of nonsense. So in order to refuel, I have to stop, have a coffee and sandwich, then carry on? That's an explanation for sure, a bloody ridiculous one. I regularly do Aberdeen to Warrington, 350 miles, if I have no passengers then I'm not stopping, and I'll have plenty in the tank when I get to the other end.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I regularly do Aberdeen to Warrington, 350 miles, if I have no passengers then I'm not stopping, and I'll have plenty in the tank when I get to the other end.

Aberdeen to Warrington would take 6 hours? Without jams/road works? Without a stop?
Most people struggle to play 9 holes without a 'comfort stop'.

You're aware for modern petrol & diesel this argument no longer exists?

Ok, sit in your car with the windows open in a garage with all the doors shut and your engine running for an hour and tell me how you feel.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aberdeen to Warrington would take 6 hours? Without jams/road works? Without a stop?
Most people struggle to play 9 holes without a 'comfort stop'.

Ok, sit in your car with the windows open in a garage with all the doors shut and your engine running for an hour and tell me how you feel.

Have to admit since driving the ev I notice the smell of my diesel more. Guess just used to the non smell

With regards to breaks I used to drive 4 hours without a break often

Think my record was up to hull pick my mate up and then straight back home only stopped for 2 mins wee at her house

That was about 7 hours

Wouldn't dare do that now

I'd prob do 1:30-2 hours max then need a break anyways .. if with kids then you got about hour and half before they need a wee

D

Deleted member 23270

Lots of people have access to a company car scheme. Of course not everyone does and I didn’t suggest they did.

It doesn’t look like many people are buying £10k Kia’s. Which start at £11,450.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/354230/best-selling-cars-uk-2020?amp
Sorry how remiss of me to get the price wrong. Did you see that my post said 'from around'? Still, nice pedantry on your part.
For the record the cheapest new car on sale in the UK in 2021 was the Dacia Sandero starting at £7995. I've seen lots of those on the road.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And yes you may laugh about explaining range & refuelling, PJ87 has just done it. Load of nonsense. So in order to refuel, I have to stop, have a coffee and sandwich, then carry on? That's an explanation for sure, a bloody ridiculous one. I regularly do Aberdeen to Warrington, 350 miles, if I have no passengers then I'm not stopping, and I'll have plenty in the tank when I get to the other end.

To be fair you’re probably the exception rather than the rule though. For you an EV is just not practical at the moment but for the majority of people an EV with a range of 120 odd miles would probably cover 90% of their journeys.

The car I have coming has a supposed range of 270 odd miles. I might get 250 ish in summer and probably closer to 210 in winter however bar a family holiday in Cornwall the rest of my driving will easily be covered by this. I suspect it would many others as well.

The other factor for me is that my present motor will do about 220 miles to a tank around town and might touch 260 on a long journey so the EV range doesn’t bother me.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry how remiss of me to get the price wrong. Did you see that my post said 'from around'? Still, nice pedantry on your part.
For the record the cheapest new car on sale in the UK in 2021 was the Dacia Sandero starting at £7995. I've seen lots of those on the road.

As an aside the safety rating of that is horrendous! Think I saw it in What Car

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
As an aside the safety rating of that is horrendous! Think I saw it in What Car
Plenty of decent cars have poor NCAP ratings.
For example, the Renault Zoe (most popular EV in Europe, I believe) has an NCAP rating of zero(!), while the Dacia Spring (EV based on Renault bits) at least manages a rating of 1.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of decent cars have poor NCAP ratings.
For example, the Renault Zoe (most popular EV in Europe, I believe) has an NCAP rating of zero(!), while the Dacia Spring (EV based on Renault bits) at least manages a rating of 1.

Ah, had no idea. Only saw the Dacia one as was looking at them.