The all things EV chat thread

greenone

Visit site
Now I could be way out here but I vaguely recall from my long distance school days that the oil is "Cracked" into many components, petrol and diesel just being two of them. Assuming that we still need the other parts of the "cracked" oil, what will happen to the excess petrol/diesel? Both will still be needed for a long time to come and perhaps we have too much of the other products so a complete non-issue?
change the set up of the cracking tower and you alter the proportion of what you get out of the process.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Now I could be way out here but I vaguely recall from my long distance school days that the oil is "Cracked" into many components, petrol and diesel just being two of them. Assuming that we still need the other parts of the "cracked" oil, what will happen to the excess petrol/diesel? Both will still be needed for a long time to come and perhaps we have too much of the other products so a complete non-issue?

Post Nos 66 and 68 :whistle:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
If lecky cars are like mobile phones, we're only just at the point they'd fit in your pocket. No cameras or apps yet either!

I'll wait till the equivalent evolution of an iPhone 6 arrives.
Interesting view. Is technologies developing at the same speed now, or are we faster than before?

When did the Leaf and the i3/i8 came out? If they are the 3310 then a lot of stuff happened since. Tesla must be somewhere on the smartphone line already, 3G or maybe 4?

D

Deleted member 23270

A brand new Tesla model 3 is £42,990
A brand new BMW 420i M Sport Coupe is £43,591
I guess you can spend silly money on any car
More relevant would be entry level costs of both ICE and EV cars. Sub 10k for ICE, somewhere around 20k for EV I'm guessing? These are the cars more relevant to most people.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Interesting view. Is technologies developing at the same speed now, or are we faster than before?

When did the Leaf and the i3/i8 came out? If they are the 3310 then a lot of stuff happened since. Tesla must be somewhere on the smartphone line already, 3G or maybe 4?

Faster, hopefully. I wonder what will supercede electric?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
More relevant would be entry level costs of both ICE and EV cars. Sub 10k for ICE, somewhere around 20k for EV I'm guessing? These are the cars more relevant to most people.

When you say entry level costs. I presume you are talking about second hand cars with those prices?

The model 3 as a company car is a much cheaper option than a lot of other cars that have a lower otr price from a dealer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You walk into a car showroom and Smiffy shows you 2 very similar cars.
One will do do 40mpg (petrol) and the other will do 120mpg (equivalent) (EV)
It's a no brainer the EV wins....until Smiffy points out the EV costs 10k more.
Now you buy the petrol which is just as well as there are 100's still in stock.
If the EV was the same price as the petrol version, how many petrol versions would Smiffy sell?

And that is part of the reason why, in my opinion, EVs are still more expensive than their ICE equivalents.
As long as manufacturers keep making ICE cars, EVs won't come down much.

Having said that, the companies who ONLY make EVs won't have a backlog of ICE cars to get rid of so will force the prices down. I'm looking towards the east and it will happen sooner than many think.

BiMGuy

Visit site
You walk into a car showroom and Smiffy shows you 2 very similar cars.
One will do do 40mpg (petrol) and the other will do 120mpg (equivalent) (EV)
It's a no brainer the EV wins....until Smiffy points out the EV costs 10k more.
Now you buy the petrol which is just as well as there are 100's still in stock.
If the EV was the same price as the petrol version, how many petrol versions would Smiffy sell?

And that is part of the reason why, in my opinion, EVs are still more expensive than their ICE equivalents.
As long as manufacturers keep making ICE cars, EVs won't come down much.

Having said that, the companies who ONLY make EVs won't have a backlog of ICE cars to get rid of so will force the prices down. I'm looking towards the east and it will happen sooner than many think.

Not necessarily.

Assuming the cars are the same spec and have the same options.

Smiffy will tell you how much the monthlies are dependent on the deposit you put down, which is dependent on the financing option you choose.

Then. Anyone sensible will do the maths for how much fuel versus how much electricity they will typically use, tax, insurance etc and figure out the total cost of ownership.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not necessarily.

Smiffy will tell you how much the monthlies are dependent on the deposit you put down, which is dependent on the financing option you choose.

Then. Anyone sensible will do the maths for how much fuel versus how much electricity they will typically use, tax, insurance etc and figure out the total cost of ownership.

How many people have said they won't buy an EV because they are too expensive?
And how many dealers (not Smiffy obviously) would steer the buyers away from the EV to get rid of their ICE cars?

''Assuming the cars are the same spec and have the same options''.

I did write ''2 very similar cars''

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily.

There are very few sensible people around sadly who do work things out that way. I sell to mfr companies and sooooo many will only look at headline price, not the big picture. I can show them the figures, explain it all but it still comes back tothe headline figure. Never undersitimate the stupidity of people.

BiMGuy

Visit site
How many people have said they won't buy an EV because they are too expensive?
And how many dealers (not Smiffy obviously) would steer the buyers away from the EV to get rid of their ICE cars?

That’s why I said anyone sensible!

I also wouldn’t trust a car salesman to tell me the truth. I do my own research and sums.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say entry level costs. I presume you are talking about second hand cars with those prices?

The model 3 as a company car is a much cheaper option than a lot of other cars that have a lower otr price from a dealer.

I find it hard to compare "entry" level prices for EV vs ICE

for example my car "entry" level you can get a corsa SE edition for £17,300.. thats a manual 1.2 petrol
the corsa electric starts at £25,800 .. so thats £8500 , but doesnt paint the full picture

to get a simular speed car you need the turbo edition , brings you up to £18,300
if you are comparing like for like the turbo edition with automatic makes it £20,000

Normally you find whilst the EVs command a higher premium price they are also the more premium model of the cars

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it hard to compare "entry" level prices for EV vs ICE

for example my car "entry" level you can get a corsa SE edition for £17,300.. thats a manual 1.2 petrol
the corsa electric starts at £25,800 .. so thats £8500 , but doesnt paint the full picture

to get a simular speed car you need the turbo edition , brings you up to £18,300
if you are comparing like for like the turbo edition with automatic makes it £20,000

Normally you find whilst the EVs command a higher premium price they are also the more premium model of the cars
What if you don't want one that is faster, has bells and whistles?

My sister changed her car back in November and the salesman couldn't get his head around her not wanting bigger wheels, fancier stereo, sexier paint job, bigger engine etc. She wants an A - B car, she won't be alone in that.