The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That one's a hybrid, Full EV the same.

No.
Mercedes didn't make a full EV until mid 2015 which means the battery would still be covered by the 8 year warranty.
Besides, batteries don't just stop working, their range will reduce gradually. The owner must have seen this.
If this is a hybrid, the diesel engine will still be working fine but with a reduced electric range. Why scrap it?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This isn't brand new, this is a replacement battery. Just the battery.

Are you telling me 8 year old petrol or diesel cars need a new engine? I don't think so, but even if they did they are not that price. In most cases the engine outlasts the useful life of a car, especially diesel.

If the engine is damaged enough, yes an 8 year old car will need a new engine.

It depends entirely on the car as to how much the engine will cost. I’d expect something like a Honda Jazz to be getting towards £10k. A high performance engine from a BMW M or an AMG will be in the region of £30k.

greenone

Visit site

It depends entirely on the car as to how much the engine will cost. I’d expect something like a Honda Jazz to be getting towards £10k. A high performance engine from a BMW M or an AMG will be in the region of £30k.
An old workmate had his 3.5l BMW 5 series runaway. It was 6 grand for a new engine fitted.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are re-manufactured batteries available for these cars? Or used replacements? Surely that's cheaper in a used car than a completely new unit.

A remanufactured BMW B58 engine (M Performance version, 384BHP - so pretty high performance) can be picked up for £4k remanufactured with warranty (I think they are £10k new).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are re-manufactured batteries available for these cars? Or used replacements? Surely that's cheaper in a used car than a completely new unit.

A remanufactured BMW B58 engine (M Performance version, 384BHP - so pretty high performance) can be picked up for £4k remanufactured with warranty (I think they are £10k new).

You can get batteries retrofitted by external companies for some cars

There is a company in Surrey who buy batteries from written off nissan leafs (the 40kw ones) and put the batteries in the old mk1 leafs that had like 16-24kw batteries

At request of owners who like their cars and want to keep them (reasons like saving waste)

Think a 40kw job was 9k can't remember there is a video somewhere .. but extends the life of the car (makes it better than it was before)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get batteries retrofitted by external companies for some cars

There is a company in Surrey who buy batteries from written off nissan leafs (the 40kw ones) and put the batteries in the old mk1 leafs that had like 16-24kw batteries

At request of owners who like their cars and want to keep them (reasons like saving waste)

Think a 40kw job was 9k can't remember there is a video somewhere .. but extends the life of the car (makes it better than it was before)

Does the remanufacturing capability exist though. I think one of the challenges in EVs is that everything is sealed unit/solid block and this is where ICE has it's merits.

If they have figured out how to remanufacture, rather than just reuse, then that extends the life of the battery itself. Rebuilding an old engine with new parts is fairly easy and relatively cost effective way of extending an ICE unit's life. If they could do the same with batteries and electric motors (which have a surprising number of moving parts) then that would be a huge positive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the remanufacturing capability exist though. I think one of the challenges in EVs is that everything is sealed unit/solid block and this is where ICE has it's merits.

If they have figured out how to remanufacture, rather than just reuse, then that extends the life of the battery itself. Rebuilding an old engine with new parts is fairly easy and relatively cost effective way of extending an ICE unit's life. If they could do the same with batteries and electric motors (which have a surprising number of moving parts) then that would be a huge positive.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/stories/lithium-to-lithium-manganese-to-manganese-4662

dont think their there yet. Atm its more a focus on re-purposing and recycling the old batteries

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And I think that it's a good step, but only a first step as the battery will still be as degraded as it ever was. If they can get remanufacturing right then that would be a huge boon.

I think their gambling on the new battery tech thats a few years away with the solid state etc

I wonder how many car batteries will end up on side of houses one day

I mean im officially in a queue for the Telsa Powerwall 2 , wonder if thats a new battery or an older one from their cars

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No.
Mercedes didn't make a full EV until mid 2015 which means the battery would still be covered by the 8 year warranty.
Besides, batteries don't just stop working, their range will reduce gradually. The owner must have seen this.
If this is a hybrid, the diesel engine will still be working fine but with a reduced electric range. Why scrap it?
YES.

That. One's. A. Hybrid,

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Rubbish, as greenone has said

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Rubbish, as greenone has said

My guess on the Jazz may be well out. But a BMW M5/6 engine will cost you the best part of £30k to replace. I’ve seen the invoice for one.

greenone doesn’t say when or which model engine was replaced. Or whether that was the full price or discounted.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When we stop using petroleum we still need a hell of a lot of oil.
Well yes, oil will still have its uses, for things like lubrication and plastics. (I seem to recall someone back in the 70s saying "oil is too valuable to burn").

But once petrol and diesel are no longer used, the amount of oil that needs to be transported will be significantly reduced. We ought to find something worthwhile to do with all those redundant tankers.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So my car that was ordered at the beginning of November for a January/February delivery was initially put back to March/April and the latest date is 'some point in June....possibly'. I'm in the fortunate position that my present car is owned so I'm in no particular rush although now I've put the order through I'm pretty impatient.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So my car that was ordered at the beginning of November for a January/February delivery was initially put back to March/April and the latest date is 'some point in June....possibly'. I'm in the fortunate position that my present car is owned so I'm in no particular rush although now I've put the order through I'm pretty impatient.

Similarly, I am still waiting on the car I ordered in August. I'm not impatient as such as I get that there is a global problem. It's just that the excitement of getting the new car has worn off slightly and I am now in two minds about just cancelling it and sticking a Pure 800 turbo in my B58 powered M340i... That'll be exciting :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But once petrol and diesel are no longer used, the amount of oil that needs to be transported will be significantly reduced. We ought to find something worthwhile to do with all those redundant tankers.
Have no fear! Capitalism will find an optimum use for them, even if it's simply dismantling and recycling.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Have no fear! Capitalism will find an optimum use for them, even if it's simply dismantling and recycling.
I do fear. Capitalism will find the most profitable thing to do with them, which is unlikely to be the most environmentally responsible option.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do fear. Capitalism will find the most profitable thing to do with them, which is unlikely to be the most environmentally responsible option.

Well green projects are already being scaled back because they "cost" too much whilst rebuilding the economy rather than build a new greener economy and come out of covid with that as the mantra

Alas we always revert to what we know .. flog it until it goes boom

YandaB

Visit site
Well yes, oil will still have its uses, for things like lubrication and plastics. (I seem to recall someone back in the 70s saying "oil is too valuable to burn").

Now I could be way out here but I vaguely recall from my long distance school days that the oil is "Cracked" into many components, petrol and diesel just being two of them. Assuming that we still need the other parts of the "cracked" oil, what will happen to the excess petrol/diesel? Both will still be needed for a long time to come and perhaps we have too much of the other products so a complete non-issue?