The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ID4 does look nice but it's £42k

The range on the Mustang sounds great. That sort of range eliminates, if genuine, removes a good chunk of the range worry and re-charging pressure

I think leasing is seriously going to take over more and more

I know people who always refused to lease are looking into it now

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think leasing is seriously going to take over more and more

I know people who always refused to lease are looking into it now
I know leasing is very commonplace now, but if we are pushing towards EV on a green agenda how does a greater churn of vehicle ownership help with the green agenda of looking to prolong the life by repairing an item ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had to help deliver a customers car to Dartford on Thursday. No part exchange involved so I took our e2008 as the "taxi".

Absolutely brilliant. Nippy, quiet, smooth. Round trip of 118 miles, range showing 155 when I left, 60 when I returned. Cushty.

I'd buy one. No problem.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes plenty do but my photo was in Erasmus Street Westminster, lots of flats with no off street parking, so this kind of set-up is vital if it’s going to appeal to the masses.
There lies the issue, on street parking and charging. Looking at our village there are houses with no dedicated parking and they are on street. There is no street lighting like this either , so the principal and main benefit of electric being it’s full and ready to go falls flat.
There needs to be a solution that allows people to charge at home without having an extension cable running out the front door or owning a dedicated car parking space.
So we could see house prices impacted ..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There needs to be a solution that allows people to charge at home without having an extension cable running out the front door or owning a dedicated car parking space.

I don't see why, you don't have a petrol pump outside your house do you?
In the future, people will charge in all sorts of places, supermarkets, golf clubs, car parks, at work, at the gym, cinema etc etc
Agreed we're not there yet but its a lot cheaper to install EV charging points than it is to build a petrol station in your local pub car park.

And once one supermarket has the unique selling point of free charging, you can bet the rest will soon follow suit.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There lies the issue, on street parking and charging. Looking at our village there are houses with no dedicated parking and they are on street. There is no street lighting like this either , so the principal and main benefit of electric being it’s full and ready to go falls flat.
So we could see house prices impacted ..

It won't be long, cars are arriving with range of 300 plus

Garages like shell have the aim to install chargers in all their existing sites

Chargers up to 350kwh are appearing in these locations

Won be long before a trip to the petrol garage is just a trip to the charger

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see why, you don't have a petrol pump outside your house do you?
In the future, people will charge in all sorts of places, supermarkets, golf clubs, car parks, at work, at the gym, cinema etc etc
Agreed we're not there yet but its a lot cheaper to install EV charging points than it is to build a petrol station in your local pub car park.

And once one supermarket has the unique selling point of free charging, you can bet the rest will soon follow suit.
Free charging is like offering free drugs .. once your hooked the price will rise.
I see the element of charging at home as a benefit… I really don’t like social interaction ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It won't be long, cars are arriving with range of 300 plus

Garages like shell have the aim to install chargers in all their existing sites

Chargers up to 350kwh are appearing in these locations

Won be long before a trip to the petrol garage is just a trip to the charger
The problem with those ranges is they drive weight in and the focus is now on non CO2 emissions.. vehicle weight generates these.
I think we will see battery efficiency improve massively but the required range will drop when we have a proper fast charge network which is available to all brands of vehicle .. I like that BP and Shell have realised this (just hope they aren’t burning the diesel to fuel the gent!! )

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with those ranges is they drive weight in and the focus is now on non CO2 emissions.. vehicle weight generates these.
I think we will see battery efficiency improve massively but the required range will drop when we have a proper fast charge network which is available to all brands of vehicle .. I like that BP and Shell have realised this (just hope they aren’t burning the diesel to fuel the gent!! )

Weight will come down with tech

Solid state batteries are in testing

They won't be far behind

Guy at work has the id4 something like 82kw battery that's brilliant .. proper range

Mines 50kw and works for me

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Free charging is like offering free drugs .. once your hooked the price will rise.

I'm sure it will but when you factor in all the other costs related to ICE vehicles, it's still a cheaper alternative.
So cheaper, faster, quieter, fun to drive and better for the air quality your children will breathe.

And of course, the improvements made in battery technology will spread over into other aspects of life.
A mobile phone battery that will last a week, a golf trolley that will last a month, a laptop lasting a week, power tools, etc etc.

Wouldn't it be great to have your kids/grandkids queuing for an ice cream at an electric ice cream van.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weight will come down with tech

Solid state batteries are in testing

They won't be far behind

Guy at work has the id4 something like 82kw battery that's brilliant .. proper range

Mines 50kw and works for me
Yes that’s got a sensible range for current situation.. but look at the total mass of the vehicle.. so curb weight then the manufacturer adds a mass for options and load carrying capacity.
I think the ID3 long range drops the 5th passenger ( not averse to getting rid of passengers myself .. they stop the fun and think they can dictate the music selection) .
The point is these weights are driving in heavier chassis components and making larger tyres a necessity.
Your right the batteries will get lighter, but make the range demand lower by having a fast network… and then we are talking about charging cars in minutes if not seconds .. and that is the key development.
Also looking at performance, the insane button isn’t environmentally friendly nor is it really required , speeds up to 100mph and 0-60 of 7-8seconds and 50-70 overtaking times around 2-3seconds are enough for the public .. most don’t realise it but they don’t have the talent for quicker and this is just bar stool bravado promoted by the likes of Porsche and Ferrari

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure it will but when you factor in all the other costs related to ICE vehicles, it's still a cheaper alternative.
So cheaper, faster, quieter, fun to drive and better for the air quality your children will breathe.

And of course, the improvements made in battery technology will spread over into other aspects of life.
A mobile phone battery that will last a week, a golf trolley that will last a month, a laptop lasting a week, power tools, etc etc.

Wouldn't it be great to have your kids/grandkids queuing for an ice cream at an electric ice cream van.
Currently yes .. but think how much tax the government gets currently they won’t be wanting a shortfall in that revenue..
Sorry for sounding like a pessimist but the system will require it’s pay off and new perceived threats will arise and cost will be driven in.