The all things EV chat thread

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure it will but when you factor in all the other costs related to ICE vehicles, it's still a cheaper alternative.
So cheaper, faster, quieter, fun to drive and better for the air quality your children will breathe.

And of course, the improvements made in battery technology will spread over into other aspects of life.
A mobile phone battery that will last a week, a golf trolley that will last a month, a laptop lasting a week, power tools, etc etc.

Wouldn't it be great to have your kids/grandkids queuing for an ice cream at an electric ice cream van.

Out of curiosity Bob, what are all of these other related costs?

What EV did you go for in the end?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes that’s got a sensible range for current situation.. but look at the total mass of the vehicle.. so curb weight then the manufacturer adds a mass for options and load carrying capacity.
I think the ID3 long range drops the 5th passenger ( not averse to getting rid of passengers myself .. they stop the fun and think they can dictate the music selection) .
The point is these weights are driving in heavier chassis components and making larger tyres a necessity.
Your right the batteries will get lighter, but make the range demand lower by having a fast network… and then we are talking about charging cars in minutes if not seconds .. and that is the key development.
Also looking at performance, the insane button isn’t environmentally friendly nor is it really required , speeds up to 100mph and 0-60 of 7-8seconds and 50-70 overtaking times around 2-3seconds are enough for the public .. most don’t realise it but they don’t have the talent for quicker and this is just bar stool bravado promoted by the likes of Porsche and Ferrari

I think whilst charging speeds will come down people need to be open to change .. this electric replacement isn't for a laugh it's because the planet is screwed .. waiting a few extra mins for a fill up is a small ask for not dying for me

Yes range may drop with Weight but the aa email me every year saying clean our your car to save weight to boost your mpg so all ranges have been affected by weight for years

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Out of curiosity Bob, what are all of these other related costs?

I'm no mechanic but I do know servicing doesn't come cheap.
Cam belt, oil/ filter, brakes, exhaust repair/replacement, catalytic convertor replacement, hydraulic fluids, coolant system/radiators
Didn't Murph say recently a new exhaust for his car was £5,500?

What EV did you go for in the end?

Are you joking, have you seen the price of them? ;)

But my next car will certainly be an EV, maybe something like the MG ZS

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ectric&postcode=ng348xf&sort=price-asc&page=1

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you look at how fuel economy and emissions have changed dramatically over the last few years, the now rapid increase in the demand for electric vehicles will make research into the new technology more cost-effective, particularly as the two big drivers are range and speed of charging. These will be the two big USP's for most people so that will what the manufacturers will be focussing on.
For charging with my plug-in hybrid, I have subscribed to Charge Place Scotland and for £20p.a. I get over 1500 free charge points dotted around Scotland, so if travelling and stopping anywhere that has one nearby, I can top-up my car "for free". Helpful to have.
Also, Scotland is offering incentives for people to put charge points at their own home and my company will also pay towards the charge point. I haven't taken either of these options up yet as we are looking to move house but once we have moved, then I undoubtedly will take it up.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no mechanic but I do know servicing doesn't come cheap.
Cam belt, oil/ filter, brakes, exhaust repair/replacement, catalytic convertor replacement, hydraulic fluids, coolant system/radiators
Didn't Murph say recently a new exhaust for his car was £5,500?

Yeah, but then Murph's car is basically a steroid infused mentalists car :D. Some will be quite high, others not so much. EVs are not that cheap to service either, my mates Tesla S had it's first service (brake discs are £400 EACH!) and they do still have many serviceable parts that ICE's do (track rods, suspension legs, bearings etc). His total service inc parts was £1650. Like Murph's though that's at the extreme end as not everyone has a Model S and I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives available.

Are you joking, have you seen the price of them? ;)

But my next car will certainly be an EV, maybe something like the MG ZS

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012247381307?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&make=MG&radius=1500&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Electric&postcode=ng348xf&sort=price-asc&page=1

I've just registered my interest in the new i4 so that I can at least try and get myself quite high up the queue when they launch (I reckon Mar/Apr next year is realistic for one being available). If (and it's a big IF) the range is within 15% of quoted I will be fine with that. Any more variance from that then I will be a bit on the fence again. Hopefully it's not too bad though as I really, really like the look of the M50 variant.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've just registered my interest in the new i4 so that I can at least try and get myself quite high up the queue when they launch (I reckon Mar/Apr next year is realistic for one being available). If (and it's a big IF) the range is within 15% of quoted I will be fine with that. Any more variance from that then I will be a bit on the fence again. Hopefully it's not too bad though as I really, really like the look of the M50 variant.
But oh my God! That grill! :sick:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Don't actually mind the grille. If I don't go i4 I will probably go M4.

Old BMW grilles were probably worse (and square) remember the late 2000's 7 series? Now that was ugly.
The new grille looks much better in the flesh than on photos.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The Corsa first service is going to be £80

Brakes wear less as you use engine breaking aswell

Model s is extreme like you said

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
But a car with less moving parts will wear.....lesser. :confused:

You know how many moving parts are in any motor, right? Electric motors aren't monolithic. Electric motors can be made up of hundreds of individual components, all with a propensity to fail.

My view is that Electric motors will supplant combustion engines and will be (eventually) cleaner to run and better for the environment. But the complexity of an electric motor will always give it component fatigue and failure just like those in a combustion engine (which, I might point out we have got pretty good at building with less traditional mechanical components than traditionally), most are, for want of a better word, electronic, anyway).

What a traditional car will have in it's favour is that if my EGR fails, I know I just need to replace the EGR, if a sealed unit electric motor goes... Well, I'm looking at a heavier bill than that of an EGR.

I'm not sure we have enough data (both time and volumetric) to state whether electric motors have better reliability or greater longevity over combustion.

I WILL go electric as I believe it's the next logical evolution, but it will be a leap of faith and not fact at this point.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So what you're saying is, ICE cars and electric cars have the same chance to go wrong and if they do, electric cars will be more expensive to fix?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what you're saying is, ICE cars and electric cars have the same chance to go wrong and if they do, electric cars will be more expensive to fix?

No, I'm saying that all cars will have a propensity to go wrong and some will be cheaper to fix whether they are EV or ICE. It is disingenuous to say that EVs will be cheaper to fix without caveats.

Its also too early to say conclusively that EVs have higher or lower reliability and that much is faith not fact.

What I would take a good stab at though, is that should a sealed electric motor develop a fault it will be higher cost to fix than a component fault in, maybe 8/10 cases (common component faults).

What we don't know yet is, by relative comparison, how likely this is.

I will go electric because I thinks its both inevitable and the right thing to do. But I won't make the move naively believing that it will be cheaper in all aspects.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
pitty Murph is no longer on here to counter that! Read back and you can see the very great value he has had out of his cars

I had what I consider good value from the two M3's I've had. I thoroughly enjoyed just about every mile I drove them.

Most people would consider them extremely expensive to run with 18mpg and the servicing costs.

I'm not due another car for a couple years but the prospect of an M3 estate has me already thinking about one. It will be a difficult decision whether to have one last hurrah with an ICE car or go electric.