The all things EV chat thread

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is what's going to fuel (pardon the pun) the change to electric
Not so much that people necessarily want to go electric, it's going to get harder to find petrol stations to fill your car up.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just switched energy tarrif and it now costs £3:20 to charge the car to 300 miles. That's providing the charge is between 12.30 and 4.30am.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.gridserve.com/2021/04/3...ks-largest-high-power-motorway-charging-site/

fantastic news (they have now bought econcity a few days ago)

all the motoway services in Uk (i believe) are being upgraded to new higher speed chargers with more chargers available

there is a list on google maps not sure how to share thay shows how many are left to do and how many are done.. they have done a lot!!

100kwh chargers as standard .... stop for a wee / coffee / food .. 20 mins on the charger and you have added more than enough miles to crack on...

also these chargers are contactless payment rather than need an app ... so just use your debit card

its a step in the right direction

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.gridserve.com/2021/04/3...ks-largest-high-power-motorway-charging-site/

fantastic news (they have now bought econcity a few days ago)

all the motoway services in Uk (i believe) are being upgraded to new higher speed chargers with more chargers available

there is a list on google maps not sure how to share thay shows how many are left to do and how many are done.. they have done a lot!!

100kwh chargers as standard .... stop for a wee / coffee / food .. 20 mins on the charger and you have added more than enough miles to crack on...

also these chargers are contactless payment rather than need an app ... so just use your debit card

its a step in the right direction
Totally agree. As a motorist we need to see multiple chargers as we drive into places in order to feel comfortable that one is available. At the moment that is not the case, 2 or 3 doesn't count at a motorway services as that is totally insufficient. Equally, the idea of contactless payment is better. Having to have multiple apps to pay for charging is also off putting so that removes that issue. Now repeat this across the network.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. As a motorist we need to see multiple chargers as we drive into places in order to feel comfortable that one is available. At the moment that is not the case, 2 or 3 doesn't count at a motorway services as that is totally insufficient. Equally, the idea of contactless payment is better. Having to have multiple apps to pay for charging is also off putting so that removes that issue. Now repeat this across the network.

I know grideserve will do all the motorway services

BP and shell putting them in on their forecourts

At least companies are ramping up

Grideserve chargers are 30p per kWh aswell which isn't too expensive for charging on go .. cheaper than petrol but not as cheap as doing at home

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had what I consider good value from the two M3's I've had. I thoroughly enjoyed just about every mile I drove them.

Most people would consider them extremely expensive to run with 18mpg and the servicing costs.

I'm not due another car for a couple years but the prospect of an M3 estate has me already thinking about one. It will be a difficult decision whether to have one last hurrah with an ICE car or go electric.

I had a similar decision to make, decided to go with the Audi S3 Avant and then got it remapped. It's a decent family car but doesn't half shift although I can physically see the petrol guage moving on some occasions. I think this was probably my last 'silly' car and will probably look at electric in 3 years or so when it's time to change again. Hoping by that point the prices will have moved a bit as nothing on the market excites me at the moment....or at least nothing that's within budget!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a similar decision to make, decided to go with the Audi S3 Avant and then got it remapped. It's a decent family car but doesn't half shift although I can physically see the petrol guage moving on some occasions. I think this was probably my last 'silly' car and will probably look at electric in 3 years or so when it's time to change again. Hoping by that point the prices will have moved a bit as nothing on the market excites me at the moment....or at least nothing that's within budget!!

In 3 and half years when the Corsa is up for renewal I want to lease a bigger electric . Maybe the id4 or similar .. just so it's bigger battery and bigger for me to take the girls out .. when they all out of car seats can bin off the Alhambra (this is 11 years time tho) and then I want both electric .. medium size .. or maybe one little one large

Need one that fits the family and one for me for work

I watched interesting video , a company that replaces Batteries in old leafs (gen 1)

Takes 24kw ones that are 9 years old and puts 40kw ones that have been out of leafs that have been in accidents but batteries are fine

Proper recycling.. now I was amazed until the cost .. 8k .. 13k for 62kw battery .. but I guess it will come down with time .. however 11 year old leaf from the presenter being upgraded to 40kw .. beats constant buying new I guess

5 hour job by sounds .. can keep your old battery if for example you want to use for battery storage but if not they will find a use .. be it selling the cells to hobbiests , battery storage on their garage

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've just had my first long journey in my Škoda Superb plug-in hybrid. This was a trip from Glasgow down to Stoke. I ran the car in hybrid mode but by the time I got to the hotel the batteries were discharged. There was nowhere on my journey where I stopped for any length of time that had a charging point I could use. I didn't have the time to wait to get them charged full at a service station and so basically ran on petrol for the journey home. I had the car set up to recharge or top up the batteries during the journey which helped, but the reality is that for myself as a business driver I can't afford to spend a few hours charging the car on the motorway. Somewhere I can overnight charge would be the benefit but there was nowhere near the hotel I could use. Nor at the customer. All the charge points had a different fitting (that's another gripe. Why can the manufacturers not agree on a standard fitting!? :mad:). The Gretna services on the M74 have a reasonable number of chargers and it was interesting to see all the Tesla ones were all fully occupied but only one of the other (non-Tesla) chargers was in use.
On the positive side, for the whole journey I still got over 50mpg which for a 1.4 litre petrol turbo lugging around a Škoda Superb is pretty good. The batteries were never completely flat and kicked in when slow speed manoeuvring. But we're still a way away from these for use as business commuters.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just had my first long journey in my Škoda Superb plug-in hybrid. This was a trip from Glasgow down to Stoke. I ran the car in hybrid mode but by the time I got to the hotel the batteries were discharged. There was nowhere on my journey where I stopped for any length of time that had a charging point I could use. I didn't have the time to wait to get them charged full at a service station and so basically ran on petrol for the journey home. I had the car set up to recharge or top up the batteries during the journey which helped, but the reality is that for myself as a business driver I can't afford to spend a few hours charging the car on the motorway. Somewhere I can overnight charge would be the benefit but there was nowhere near the hotel I could use. Nor at the customer. All the charge points had a different fitting (that's another gripe. Why can the manufacturers not agree on a standard fitting!? :mad:). The Gretna services on the M74 have a reasonable number of chargers and it was interesting to see all the Tesla ones were all fully occupied but only one of the other (non-Tesla) chargers was in use.
On the positive side, for the whole journey I still got over 50mpg which for a 1.4 litre petrol turbo lugging around a Škoda Superb is pretty good. The batteries were never completely flat and kicked in when slow speed manoeuvring. But we're still a way away from these for use as business commuters.
Really interesting post, thank you. in terms of that engine did it feel okay in that car? (I have the 2.0d Superb) It's a big chunk of metal and my old school, and possibly outdated, way of thinking is that a 1.4 petrol is going to either be sounding like hard work or will be gutless when overtaking is required.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Really interesting post, thank you. in terms of that engine did it feel okay in that car? (I have the 2.0d Superb) It's a big chunk of metal and my old school, and possibly outdated, way of thinking is that a 1.4 petrol is going to either be sounding like hard work or will be gutless when overtaking is required.
I'll be honest, I thought the same thing as well, but in reality it pulled pretty well on the motorway and held 70(ish)mph with no problem. The power is basically the same as the 2.0 litre turbo diesel (corca 150bhp) but you have the advantage that if you need it, the electric motor backs it up for up to 218bhp. Add in the fact it is an auto and the kickdown also helps the acceleration. My previous car was the 2.0d and this doesn't feel like a downgrade. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet for towing but for general use, it's absolutely fine.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you drive on electric only initially?
If so then you need to change the strategy, you may need to have zero emissions electric only at some point in your journey. I think the range on electric only is around 30miles. I suggest you use the hybrid system to support the ICE unit - acceleration etc and scavenge on braking and “sailing “ (which is free rolling to you and I under low regen), it also looks after the parasitic functions taking the draw from the ICE giving you the higher mpg figures.
Completely get the plug stuff .. I had this discussion back in 2016 when developing I Pace. They wanted to put the cable in the spare wheel well, and I said you had an opportunity to lobby the government to fix all plug sockets and save the customers carrying around bulky cables … was told I was mad .. pretty much summed up the Warwickshire cottage industry and it’s lack of forward thinking

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's where Tesla are so far ahead on range and charging infrastructure.
Everybody else is still downloading multiple apps for all the different charging companies and arguing between CHAdeMO or CCS plugs (think VHS and BETAMAX).
If you are regularly driving driving over 200 miles a day, stick with your ICE car for the time being until things catch up. Or get a Tesla :whistle:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Did you drive on electric only initially?
If so then you need to change the strategy, you may need to have zero emissions electric only at some point in your journey. I think the range on electric only is around 30miles. I suggest you use the hybrid system to support the ICE unit - acceleration etc and scavenge on braking and “sailing “ (which is free rolling to you and I under low regen), it also looks after the parasitic functions taking the draw from the ICE giving you the higher mpg figures.
Completely get the plug stuff .. I had this discussion back in 2016 when developing I Pace. They wanted to put the cable in the spare wheel well, and I said you had an opportunity to lobby the government to fix all plug sockets and save the customers carrying around bulky cables … was told I was mad .. pretty much summed up the Warwickshire cottage industry and it’s lack of forward thinking
Thanks for the advice. I had it set on hybrid right from the start with auto-recharging. I also had the gearbox in "B" mode to assist the charging further. You are correct in that it only has a range of circa 30 miles and so I made sure I was on hybrid all the time. In fairness, it was showing some charge in the car batteries for most of the journey although you could see the car was using a bit of battery as well as the engine at times. If you know the Superb, the rev counter is quite small and sits inside the battery usage dial so you can see how the battery is being used and when it is being charged and discharged.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
That's where Tesla are so far ahead on range and charging infrastructure.
Everybody else is still downloading multiple apps for all the different charging companies and arguing between CHAdeMO or CCS plugs (think VHS and BETAMAX).
If you are regularly driving driving over 200 miles a day, stick with your ICE car for the time being until things catch up. Or get a Tesla :whistle:
It's a company car and I'm afraid Tesla's aren't on the list yet ;). I went for the hybrid as it meant I was paying so much less personal tax. Compared to the Superb 2.0 diesel I pay £2.7k per year less. Of the vehicles available, the Superb iV SE Technology was a no-brainer. I could have had a BMW 330e SE Pro but the boot is really compromised by the batteries, and I need the boot space for my work (and my golf clubs).