The all things EV chat thread

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rumour has it (speaking to a Merc sales bod at the weekend whilst HID was buying her new car) is that the base EQS could start at £115,000. That is eyewatering for any car regardless of EV or ICE.

This is the issue that EVs face. For a decent sized car (not a micro like a Leaf or a Note or ID3) the cost is prohibitive to many. When coupled with the continuing poor infrastructure outside of cities, it doesn't make them viable.

Evangelists will respond with "ah but it's getting better". So is the weather, but it's not quite summer yet, so I won't be buying up much sun tan lotion for now.

EVs are like 5G for me. Great idea, great principles, but until coverage is more balances for all... older tech (in this case ICEs) will be the preferred option.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5 months later there are now over 40,000 chargers

https://www.zap-map.com/statistics/
I don't doubt the number of charging points has increased, but I go past a garage that has had 7 charging points installed for the rapid charging about 5 months ago, and out of that 7 there, there has always been 2 that are out of commision for one reason or another (you can tell by the red light on and no cars in the space, and not the same ones all the time.) I doubt that many petrol pumps keep going down at any one station.:)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't doubt the number of charging points has increased, but I go past a garage that has had 7 charging points installed for the rapid charging about 5 months ago, and out of that 7 there, there has always been 2 that are out of commision for one reason or another (you can tell by the red light on and no cars in the space, and not the same ones all the time.) I doubt that many petrol pumps keep going down at any one station.:)

What about when the entire station is closed to refuel for a bit?

You have no idea how long those chargers are out for ... Could be seconds... Hours. Weeks ..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Bugger, that means there's only 39,998 left to choose from. :whistle:;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When a different 2 are out of use every morning since they were insatlled and commisioned, I suppose that doesn't say anything:)

If it's a diff two each time it points to maintance as you wouldn't get a diff two each morning

I'm sure you have looked about twice and just trying to make a point without actual evidence and research

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's a diff two each time it points to maintance as you wouldn't get a diff two each morning

I'm sure you have looked about twice and just trying to make a point without actual evidence and research

It's whatiffery from both of you. You are making points to the contrary with no evidence that its not a technical fault.

I can't really see many people on here disagreeing that the infrastructure is improving. Its just not fast enough if they want to push an agenda. 5000 additional charge points nationwide in 5 months isn't good enough to support the kind of demand that will be needed.

As I said, it IS getting better, but so is the weather.

I get it, you and Bob are fans, and like most fans won't hear a bad word said about EVs despite the evidence being heavily weighted against mass adoption.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's whatiffery from both of you. You are making points to the contrary with no evidence that its not a technical fault.

I can't really see many people on here disagreeing that the infrastructure is improving. Its just not fast enough if they want to push an agenda. 5000 additional charge points nationwide in 5 months isn't good enough to support the kind of demand that will be needed.

As I said, it IS getting better, but so is the weather.

I get it, you and Bob are fans, and like most fans won't hear a bad word said about EVs despite the evidence being heavily weighted against mass adoption.

Sorry but bunker comes back with points every few weeks that are just pish

Last time it was sensors failing on cars .. like.ice don't have them

This time is constant chargers out of use .. like a petrol garage is never closed (one on the 406 was closed the entire pandemic)

There is plenty wrong with ev which is being addressed but what need to change the most is people's attuides toward change ..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

This time is constant chargers out of use .. like a petrol garage is never closed (one on the 406 was closed the entire pandemic)

There is plenty wrong with ev which is being addressed but what need to change the most is people's attuides toward change ..

I agree in part. The main challenge is people's attitudes won't change until real progress is seen outside of cities.

I live fairly rural and we should have 15 points within a 3 mile drive. Of those, 2 are always in use, 4 have never worked (at all) and 4 haven't even actually been installed.

My main concern, and the whole ICE cars have loads of parts argument, is that EVs don't. If my O2 sensor goes, I know what it is and I replace it. If my clutch goes, its just the clutch not the whole engine.
Most EVs that I have seen work on completely sealed single unit motors. If that goes its the whole thing that needs replaced .

It is improving, no one can deny. But the drawbacks and flaws need to be acknowledged on both sides, not just the selected side, in order for the argument to hold water.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree it's pish that a group of 7 new charging points at a petrol station can't be kept working, and I assume the red light instead of the green one indicates it cant be used, when a brand new installation.