The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry. It basically says they strongly recommend not buying the car. It's brilliant mechanically, but dangerous to drive because important features are embedded deep into the menu system and very difficult to use when driving.

Just their opinion of course, but I've never seen them come out with such strong stuff before.
So lots of stuff you need to adjust on the move require that you fiddle around with menus on a touchscreen?
Are you legally allowed to do that?
Seems ironic if you are, given that if you even dare think of touching a phone in a car (even when stationary) you're public enemy #1

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tesla doing some great finance deals... 2.9% on finance... forced others to also do deals on EVs. The biggest problem with EVs is the level of depreciation.. they are sliding down like a brick.

The best option is to get one via salary sacrifice and hand it back at a later date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The new Volvo EX30 has piqued my interest a bit.

Carwow did a good review on it

I'm reading more and more into my next EV and the more I read the more it will be the Kia niro EV

Vauxhall called me today as my car's in with them AGAIN Wednesday, this time the passenger window it coming off the runners already .. 3 years old. Build quality is awful

He goes "while your cars here would you like to look at some new ones"

Ill stop you there, I won't be buying another vauxhall again

"Can I ask why? "

Of course. Well the fact it's in for a window coming out under 3 years old is bad enough. I've had the seat itself seam come apart I had to get it repaired, I've had an abs wiring loom fail because it was wired up so it rubbed on the rear suspension, the build quality is terrible and Im just glad I leased it so I can hand it back as I won't be parting money for another vauxhall.

He couldn't think of any sales patter for that

The EV side of the car I've really enjoyed but the build quality pfft what a hunk of junk. This is basic car stuff. You would think they could build a seat that would last or a window that could last.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So lots of stuff you need to adjust on the move require that you fiddle around with menus on a touchscreen?
Are you legally allowed to do that?
Seems ironic if you are, given that if you even dare think of touching a phone in a car (even when stationary) you're public enemy #1

All the new Volvos are like that now. I had a xc40 for 4 years and adjusting the temperature or fan speed whilst driving was taking your life into your own hands!
Trying to change the radio? Forget it. Just wait till you are stationary. 😁

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All the new Volvos are like that now. I had a xc40 for 4 years and adjusting the temperature or fan speed whilst driving was taking your life into your own hands!
tried a Tesla Y.... without the gear lever in the middle, it is pretty off putting.... have to move the stick behind the steering down to move or up to reverse. I was too afraid to break anything..

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got my eye on the EX30 for the wife’s next car. The OS is the same as I had in my XC60 and was easily the best I’ve used or played with. I think the only criticism is the lack of a physical heater control. But really who actually uses them anymore. Just leave it on auto forever.

Volvo’s integration with Google is surprisingly good and I really miss it. I never expected to use it much as I’m 100% in the Apple ecosystem.

Edit: by the way. Pretty much everything in the Volvo could be operated hands free speaking to Google assistant. Ridiculous yes but it does just work. I am an advocate for physical controls on the whole but I think some of the journalists are in search of the wrong crticisms.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got my eye on the EX30 for the wife’s next car. The OS is the same as I had in my XC60 and was easily the best I’ve used or played with. I think the only criticism is the lack of a physical heater control. But really who actually uses them anymore. Just leave it on auto forever.

Volvo’s integration with Google is surprisingly good and I really miss it. I never expected to use it much as I’m 100% in the Apple ecosystem.

Edit: by the way. Pretty much everything in the Volvo could be operated hands free speaking to Google assistant. Ridiculous yes but it does just work. I am an advocate for physical controls on the whole but I think some of the journalists are in search of the wrong crticisms.

It did look very impressive in the car wow review. But then aren't all volvos just that? Well made and work?

Apparently an even cheaper model coming out soon from them

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It did look very impressive in the car wow review. But then aren't all volvos just that? Well made and work?

Apparently an even cheaper model coming out soon from them
It’s a bit like ‘nothing feels like a Mizuno’ great marketing.

I’ve had an XC90 and know a few others with them. They spend a lot of time being fixed.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was delivering cars I could never understand Volvo's touchscreen technology, when their mission statement is to have the safest cars on the road.
Because of data protection we had to delete all phone calls and sat nav addresses before delivering to next client. You almost need a degree in computing before you can get used to all the different menus!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was delivering cars I could never understand Volvo's touchscreen technology, when their mission statement is to have the safest cars on the road.
Because of data protection we had to delete all phone calls and sat nav addresses before delivering to next client. You almost need a degree in computing before you can get used to all the different menus!
On my Peugeot a few years ago the only way to delete the sat nav info was a full system reset.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my 3rd year of leasing an EV

Today first time I've ever charged at not the cheap rate ..

Invited to a party up the A1 and took my mate with me .. 135 mile round trip

So bump charged the car from 85-100% before I left as we had been out with the girls

Now I've always said 170 miles summer 140 winter is about right for this car

It did 135 miles, heating on, motorway speeds , preconditioning both ends to make sure it was warm and perfect battery temp for the drive

Got back to my mates and saw my car in the red bar for the first time ever

Told me car needed charging .. directed me 2 a charger but only 4 miles from home

Got home 10% charge left so 90% for the entire trip

Toasty in the car and now it's charging

So yes it reaffirmed to me that I will be buying an EV this time next year

Although I will be getting one with a bigger boot, more space for the kids and a slightly bigger battery to get 250 miles

Had even planned a stop to charge on way but didn't need it

Didn't even need the back up one

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Took out the Lotus Eletre last week with another forum member. As nice as it was, which it should be for £105k, I just would miss the engine note.

Driving any sort of performance car for me is about the experience, and this just didn’t have it.
8657827F-F0BE-4F19-95B2-DBF3A2BDEDC2.jpg8F1140D9-C624-412A-9D3F-C35492D57588.jpg