Supplementary Cards

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What you need to do rather than try and argue my point illogical is tell us your thoughts on it.

Well, that was my thought on it - that what you were saying was illogical.:) Your view is also based on what is probably a false premise - ie that putting in supplementary scores is a "fast track" to a lower handicap. The supposition that somehow it is easier to score better than in a medal would need some evidence to support it: so far it has gained little to no support in this thread. My thoughts on that have already been voiced: playing with a card to be marked is just the same to me in a medal or a supplementary and the supplementary can well be tougher since you are being measured against the SSS rather than a CSS which should reflect the relative difficulty of the conditions of the day.

And to be honest, I am bewildered by this concern. Golf forums tend to be well stuffed with moans about bandits who protect their handicaps in order to succeed in match play competitions. I'm not sure why we should be concerned about or criticise anyone who wants to pursue the worthier aim of playing better and reducing his/her handicap by supplementing medal rounds or even by only putting in supplementaries. As has been said, the more cards you submit the better a reflection your handicap is of your playing level.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is pretty clear, supplimentary cards should be for people who can't maintain an active competition handicap, not for those looking for a fast track way of getting their handicap down quickly to massage their own ego. If you want it down quick, play more comps

The system requires you to register, in advance, your intention to submit a Supplementary. You can only submit 10 in a year and the result from a Supplementary can only be no change to handicap, 0.1 increase, or an appropriate reduction. That to me doesn't seem like a very fast track way of getting your handicap down quickly. If every one of the 10 cards merited a handicap reduction (which I very much doubt would be the case), then the player obviously needs handicap reduction. Or are you suggesting that there is going to be something underhand with every Supplementary submission?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because supposedly, having a "Medal" card in your hand makes a difference.

It shouldn't - it's a game of Golf and played under the same rules.

Aha, but what if the tees are different. You can play supplementaries at mine up to 1 per week. You can play them off yellow, which makes a difference of one stroke to the SSS. One stroke cannot even begin to take into account the difference on 6 of our holes.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
And to be honest, I am bewildered by this concern. Golf forums tend to be well stuffed with moans about bandits who protect their handicaps in order to succeed in match play competitions. I'm not sure why we should be concerned about or criticise anyone who wants to pursue the worthier aim of playing better and reducing his/her handicap by supplementing medal rounds or even by only putting in supplementaries. As has been said, the more cards you submit the better a reflection your handicap is of your playing level.

Couldn't agree more! :thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so you can't put in 10 bad card to raise a handicap then?

I'm not in fav of the sup card business, if you can't play in 3 comps to keep your handicap fair enough, but most clubs run widweek and weekend comps, if you can't play in those what the point having a handicap.

I hold a competition handicap, gained while playing comps, and though its handi for bounce games, it for comps.

I can't remember the details but didn't someone last year have a few good bounce games and just hand the cards in, got a massive cut?

I think what big Val is saying is that the current SC system it open to manipulation?

What I'm saying more than anything is I feel supp cards should ONLY be used by players who can't maintain an active handicap due to work or other commitments

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aha, but what if the tees are different. You can play supplementaries at mine up to 1 per week. You can play them off yellow, which makes a difference of one stroke to the SSS. One stroke cannot even begin to take into account the difference on 6 of our holes.
If your course is measured and ratified to be acceptable for a qualifier off the yellows then there should be no issue. If not then you can't put in a supplementary off them.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't remember the details but didn't someone last year have a few good bounce games and just hand the cards in, got a massive cut?

A different argument, Patrick. Supplementaries have to be notified in advance of playing so there is some pressure of going up instead of down. Submitting cards from bounce games - if you happened to have played well - is, for me, a complete no-no. Would all the bad bounce games also be submitted?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is a fault of the SSS system, not supplementary cards.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well you have to declare you are playing one before you go, it's straight forward enough to see if someone has an active handicap before hand.

So, if the guy was currently active but was seeking to submit 3 qualifiers this year to remain active next year, you would turn him away.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, if the guy was currently active but was seeking to submit 3 qualifiers this year to remain active next year, you would turn him away.

Only if he had no way in remaining active through competition golf at his club, ie not enough medals left for him to play 3.

Check the attached snip from the Congu Handicap doc, it details their reason for introducing them.

Attachments

• supplementary cards.jpg
    supplementary cards.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only if he had no way in remaining active through competition golf at his club, ie not enough medals left for him to play 3.

Check the attached snip from the Congu Handicap doc, it details their reason for introducing them.

I know the CONGU handicap manual - nearly off by heart.

You say no problem as long as there are enough medals left for him to play in 3. If you read the clip you highlight, you will see that it seeks to help players having difficulty playing in qualifiers for a variety of reasons such as work/family commitments and - as happens at many clubs - difficulty in getting a tee-time on weekend comps which fits in with life outside golf.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know the CONGU handicap manual - nearly off by heart.

You say no problem as long as there are enough medals left for him to play in 3. If you read the clip you highlight, you will see that it seeks to help players having difficulty playing in qualifiers for a variety of reasons such as work/family commitments and - as happens at many clubs - difficulty in getting a tee-time on weekend comps which fits in with life outside golf.

I know that and it's my point all along, as far as im concerned it should only be for people who struggle to play medals not for people who play plenty medals and look for other ways to get a cut.