Supplementary Cards

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So according to Valentino, a player who finds playing in a medal nerve-wracking, will be able to reduce his handicap more readily by putting in supplementary scores because this is a less stressful way of putting in a card. So once he has reduced his handicap in this way, he will then be able to enter the stressful arena of a medal competition where he is "going to get mentally bogged down" with a handicap he is even less likely to play to. I miss the logic of that.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a rapidly improving golfer uses the supp card system to get further reductions (as there is only 1 medal a month) would this also be frowned upon?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant understand why anyone would care if other people use supp cards to reduce their handicap. Afterall a person who can't perform in a medal is just adding funds to the winners prize :)

I'm with you here. One thing to be waving your errr rooster around boasting how low your handicap is, it's no use if you can't get it up when it counts.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely the bottom line is that the more qualifiers you play - supplementaries or otherwise - the truer a reflection of your playing ability your handicap becomes.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I view medals as chances to reduce my handicap. I view supplementary cards exactly the same. Interestingly, the supplementary is based on SSS and cannot change regardless of conditions, whereas in recent weeks at my place CSS has gone up more often than it has gone down, so the supplementary card has turned out to be a slightly tougher proposition.

Same here. Our SSS is 72 but last few medals have had a CSS of 74.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So according to Valentino, a player who finds playing in a medal nerve-wracking, will be able to reduce his handicap more readily by putting in supplementary scores because this is a less stressful way of putting in a card. So once he has reduced his handicap in this way, he will then be able to enter the stressful arena of a medal competition where he is "going to get mentally bogged down" with a handicap he is even less likely to play to. I miss the logic of that.

Exactly my point, my opinion is handicaps should come down in line with competition play however if you can't play enough comps to keep an active handicap then should you use supp cards.

My OPINION is supp cards are used to readily by some people who play enough comps to maintain an active handicap.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's great. I put forward a wee argument to show the illogicality of what you say and you think I am supporting your point. :confused: I guess I need to make myself clearer.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's great. I put forward a wee argument to show the illogicality of what you say and you think I am supporting your point. :confused: I guess I need to make myself clearer.

What you need to do rather than try and argue my point illogical is tell us your thoughts on it.

Mine is pretty clear, supplimentary cards should be for people who can't maintain an active competition handicap, not for those looking for a fast track way of getting their handicap down quickly to massage their own ego. If you want it down quick, play more comps

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Comps, as the course is at it's toughest from the medal tees which should be the best test of your ability.

How about the guy who finds it difficult to score in medals and plays off 20 but can play off 10-12 in bounce games 2 or 3 times a week and hoovers up all the money. Should he put in Supp cards to get his h/cap down?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How about the guy who finds it difficult to score in medals and plays off 20 but can play off 10-12 in bounce games 2 or 3 times a week and hoovers up all the money. Should he put in Supp cards to get his h/cap down?

I dont think so, he should play more comps. There is more than enough opens available in peoples areas for players to get 1 medal a week regardless.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've only ever done 2 supp cards but for me having a card in hand that affects my handicap feels exactly the same whether it's a supp or comp. End result is the same as for me it's not about winning but scoring well with a qualifying card. Plus we play supps and comps of the medal plates so no difference in the course.

The advantages I can see are choosing your playing partner and the weather to be conducive to scoring well but if it were just that easy....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How about the guy who has had lessons, practiced hard and can now play 8-10 shots under his h/cap. Should he wait till the comp and shoot nett 60 or hand in a supp card before the medal to get cut.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about the guy who has had lessons, practiced hard and can now play 8-10 shots under his h/cap. Should he wait till the comp and shoot nett 60 or hand in a supp card before the medal to get cut.
No, he should go find an open and clean up there instead ... Much better prizes ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is my largest issue, a supplimentary card should have no advantage at all.

Agreed but the one I submitted was against a SSS 2 less than our average CSS in medals so actually a disadvantage.

I'd rather see players submitting 10 supp cards in a year against those playing 3 comps badly in order to protect their handicap!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed but the one I submitted was against a SSS 2 less than our average CSS in medals so actually a disadvantage.

I'd rather see players submitting 10 supp cards in a year against those playing 3 comps badly in order to protect their handicap!

so you can't put in 10 bad card to raise a handicap then?

I'm not in fav of the sup card business, if you can't play in 3 comps to keep your handicap fair enough, but most clubs run widweek and weekend comps, if you can't play in those what the point having a handicap.

I hold a competition handicap, gained while playing comps, and though its handi for bounce games, it for comps.

I can't remember the details but didn't someone last year have a few good bounce games and just hand the cards in, got a massive cut?

I think what big Val is saying is that the current SC system it open to manipulation?