Marking cards for handicap

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You don't have to have a phone to do it the 'old fashioned' way.
You don't have to have a phone but then you have to register your round in advance faff around with a card, remember your pencil and generally waste time when you want a knock with your mates. There is no requirement to keep your handicap up to date and many people didn't before the WHS, they are not changing their habits now. And plenty who did no longer see the point as the system is seen as a fiddle, why bother with a cheats charter?

Personally I enter competitions and have enough cards that general play cards are superfluous but I certainly don't want to waste my time and everyone else's by putting them in.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At ours, to enter any major you must have 3 active comp cards within a 12 month window. GP cards are not counted as h/c’s can be “inaccurate”
Apparently it’s 5 “official comps” cards within 12 months at ours. Only found out via a pop up in the app on entry, not mentioned anywhere in any terms of competition and wasn’t required in the other board comp a month ago. If you make up your own rules at least put it clearly in all competitions terms. 🤔

wjemather

Visit site
You don't have to have a phone but then you have to register your round in advance faff around with a card, remember your pencil and generally waste time when you want a knock with your mates. There is no requirement to keep your handicap up to date and many people didn't before the WHS, they are not changing their habits now.

Personally I enter competitions and have enough cards that general play cards are superfluous but I certainly don't want to waste my time and everyone else's by putting them in.
If you want a handicap, this is very much a requirement. If they don't want to submit scores to maintain a handicap, then why do they even have a handicap - maybe they should save their committee's time administering it by resigning it.

The notion that anyone would be wasting others' time by submitting scores is misguided.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want a handicap, this is very much a requirement. If they don't want to submit scores to maintain a handicap, then why do they even have a handicap - maybe they should save their committee's time administering it by resigning it.

The notion that anyone would be wasting others' time by submitting scores is misguided.
There is no requirement for them to resign or maintain a handicap.
Why on earth should they resign it?
Why should they maintain it? They play golf to enjoy it not for the sake of a handicap.
Just because some committee has changed all the regulations does not mean they have to comply with them. It is not part of any law or any moral entity.
There is no rule stating how many cards you need to put in.
If the rules of handicapping made any sense maybe people would take them more seriously.

wjemather

Visit site
There is no requirement for them to resign or maintain a handicap.
Why on earth should they resign it?
Why should they maintain it? They play golf to enjoy it not for the sake of a handicap.
Just because some committee has changed all the regulations does not mean they have to comply with them. It is not part of any law or any moral entity.
There is no rule stating how many cards you need to put in.
If the rules of handicapping made any sense maybe people would take them more seriously.
Player responsibilities are part of the rules of handicapping. Decide to have a handicap and those rules, and the responsibilities within, apply to you.
People who think the rules don't apply to them will, sooner or later, find out they are mistaken.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Player responsibilities are part of the rules of handicapping. Decide to have a handicap and those rules, and the responsibilities within, apply to you.
People who think the rules don't apply to them will, sooner or later, find out they are mistaken.
What rule are they flouting?
As far as I can see there are only recommendations.
If you have a handicap how do you decide not to have one?
If you stick in three cards when does your handicap cease to apply?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
You don't have to have a phone but then you have to register your round in advance faff around with a card, remember your pencil and generally waste time when you want a knock with your mates. There is no requirement to keep your handicap up to date and many people didn't before the WHS, they are not changing their habits now. And plenty who did no longer see the point as the system is seen as a fiddle, why bother with a cheats charter?

Do you officially have to register a round prior to play? Or do you have to have the intention of submitting a score for hamdicap?

sjw

Visit site
I entered a competition at my club that said you needed 3 previous comp rounds, and I only had 2. It said I may be removed. I emailed the club to say I was happy to be removed, especially if I was taking a spot from someone who qualified properly. I wasn't removed, result

Baz The Wordsmith

Visit site
Obviously if there are people who go to the ends of the earth to manipulate their handicap for personal gain their is little can be done to stop them. Making them submit a few cards just inconveniences them a bit.
Those who protest the most perhaps have most to hide?.
Perhaps if people want to dip their toe in to a few selective events they should just have to comply with the requirements of WHS. The recommendation of WHS being an average of the best 8 from 20 in two years. 3 and 3 is notan unreasonable compromise for someone already playing say two comps.

Baz The Wordsmith

Visit site
I entered a competition at my club that said you needed 3 previous comp rounds, and I only had 2. It said I may be removed. I emailed the club to say I was happy to be removed, especially if I was taking a spot from someone who qualified properly. I wasn't removed, result
At out club in opens you can still play but cant win a prize.

Baz The Wordsmith

Visit site

Under CONGU it expired