Supplementary Cards

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was sure it was 10 a year and are designed for players who wish to maintain an active handicap where they have little opportunity due to work etc to play medals.

Personally I feel they are over used to get handicaps cut by players who can't get cut in medal play.

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
Was sure it was 10 a year and are designed for players who wish to maintain an active handicap where they have little opportunity due to work etc to play medals.

Personally I feel they are over used to get handicaps cut by players who can't get cut in medal play.

Why would a player get a cut playing in a supplementary rather than playing in a medal,they are exactly the same thing,only difference you can play in a supplementary whenever you feel, instead of waiting for your monthly medal.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why would a player get a cut playing in a supplementary rather than playing in a medal,they are exactly the same thing,only difference you can play in a supplementary whenever you feel, instead of waiting for your monthly medal.

Because supposedly, having a "Medal" card in your hand makes a difference.

It shouldn't - it's a game of Golf and played under the same rules.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because supposedly, having a "Medal" card in your hand makes a difference.

It shouldn't - it's a game of Golf and played under the same rules.

You answered my question. I have broken 80 at my club plenty times but never with a card in my hand? People get mentally bogged down in competition play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You answered my question. I have broken 80 at my club plenty times but never with a card in my hand? People get mentally bogged down in competition play.

You still have a card in your hand playing in a supplementary..

Exactly - the only difference is what you make it.
It's in your head.
There's no difference at all.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have commented on this before ,at our gaff I think you are only allowed to play supps to reactivate a lapsed handicap. Have been told this is should not be the case. Keep meaning to ask the handicap secretary.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But the outcome is the same regardless

Isn't this how you should play a Medal?

What people should and what people do are two different things.

Your a cat 1, would you prefer to be there by performing well in comps and getting there on merit or by handing cards in whenever you feel like the form is good?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I view medals as chances to reduce my handicap. I view supplementary cards exactly the same. Interestingly, the supplementary is based on SSS and cannot change regardless of conditions, whereas in recent weeks at my place CSS has gone up more often than it has gone down, so the supplementary card has turned out to be a slightly tougher proposition.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I view medals as chances to reduce my handicap. I view supplementary cards exactly the same. Interestingly, the supplementary is based on SSS and cannot change regardless of conditions, whereas in recent weeks at my place CSS has gone up more often than it has gone down, so the supplementary card has turned out to be a slightly tougher proposition.

Cracking post Ethan.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant understand why anyone would care if other people use supp cards to reduce their handicap. Afterall a person who can't perform in a medal is just adding funds to the winners prize :)