Subscriptions for membership 2023.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The dinosaur rates that keep the club going........keep ignoring the older dependable members at the clubs doooooooom. Make it hard for me....and this dinosaur is more than happy to find something else to do......

Banjo, my comment was tongue in cheek humour aimed specifically at bob and not all of the older generation so I wouldn’t read into it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Banjo, my comment was tongue in cheek humour aimed specifically at bob and not all of the older generation so I wouldn’t read into it.
My reply wasn't just to you.....I feel (my opinion) that my old club in particular ran a few people out with their treatment of long standing members that have supported the club for many years. I've never understood the push away from allowing a few rollup groups to have their own booked times...these people were the ones that often have kept the clubs running.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
. I've never understood the push away from allowing a few rollup groups to have their own booked times...these people were the ones that often have kept the clubs running.

As long as they are kept open to all then me neither, but a lot do not allow newbies to join.

The problem lies that if you are only allowed to book 2 or 3 weeks in advanced but you roll up isn’t open to all then keeping the same tee times locked preferential treatment.

I get the long standing card, but we are in a PC snowflake culture now and clubs simply can’t expose themselves to a claim of favouritism or descrimination.

Mandofred

Visit site
As long as they are kept open to all then me neither, but a lot do not allow newbies to join.

The problem lies that if you are only allowed to book 2 or 3 weeks in advanced but you roll up isn’t open to all then keeping the same tee times locked preferential treatment.

I get the long standing card, but we are in a PC snowflake culture now and clubs simply can’t expose themselves to a claim of favouritism or descrimination.
I hadn't heard that one before. Any rollup I've ever seen MUST allow any member to play. One of the clubs I just left this year had booked rollups on several days....as well as booked ladies morning. If it wasn't a lot shorter drive to my current club I would have stayed (8 min vs 25+).
Between £750 to £1500 in York and surrounding area.
Currently paying £1200 for Oakdale. I think it is around £1250 at Knaresborough, £929 at Ripon, Harrogate £1285+, Pannel ???, Moor Allerton £1450.

I'm tempted to do what I did last year and add Ripon as a 2nd club...£595.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

This was a problem at my old club. There was not much in the way of roll ups but there were two main ones on a Wednesday and Sunday. Both were invite only and both made up of what were seen as the great and the good of the club. Nice way to ensure that they get their desired tee times every week, get a big enough group, call yourself a roll up, stop anyone else taking part but stick with your reserved tee times.

Teebs

Visit site
I hadn't heard that one before. Any rollup I've ever seen MUST allow any member to play. One of the clubs I just left this year had booked rollups on several days....as well as booked ladies morning. If it wasn't a lot shorter drive to my current club I would have stayed (8 min vs 25+).

Currently paying £1200 for Oakdale. I think it is around £1250 at Knaresborough, £929 at Ripon, Harrogate £1285+, Pannel ???, Moor Allerton £1450.

I'm tempted to do what I did last year and add Ripon as a 2nd club...£595.

They seem pretty reasonable. Malton & Norton is £945. Would expect Pannel to be around £1,500...

Springveldt

Visit site
Between £750 to £1500 in York and surrounding area.
Think the vast majority are between £600 and £950 in the North East. I know that Close House is about £2400 and Northumberland Park is about £1700 once you add on their levy and practice balls for the year. Not sure about the big resort courses like Slaley Hall, Matfen Hall etc.

Mine was £790 this year including county and golf england fee. We haven't had a rise in 3 years so I'm expecting one next year but if it's 10% or more I may have to have a serious think about it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my last club, membership was under £700 maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I suspect that this year it is over £1000 and that would have been in April before the cost of living issues.

Have any clubs had to look at levying the membership further based on the fact that the massive rises in costs and prices may not have been apparrent when the fees for the year were set.

peld

Visit site
my membership this year was over £1100, though paid £920 as got a discount as I introduced my neighbour and paid in one (can also pay by DD). Imagine it'll go up 5%+.
My club is a country club attached to a big hotel, so i suspect rates will depend on the success of the hotel. gym etc.

I have enquired about joining another club (Mortonhall for those who may know, well at least on the waiting list) but still in two minds. Its £1300 p.a. plus £2600 JF. Its a far better course, and more of a "proper club" however I dont know anyone there and its 20-30mins away. Dalmahoy is 5 mins from my house and has two courses, plus have made some pals now. And sods laws its probably in the best condition its been in for a while (though still doesnt get any money spent on it for improvements)

one other thing people havent really discussed - given energy bills are going to be hitting £4000 - do you think there are going to be drops in membership purely due to the fact people cant afford it?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This was a problem at my old club. There was not much in the way of roll ups but there were two main ones on a Wednesday and Sunday. Both were invite only and both made up of what were seen as the great and the good of the club. Nice way to ensure that they get their desired tee times every week, get a big enough group, call yourself a roll up, stop anyone else taking part but stick with your reserved tee times.

This boils my pi55 massively, my old club was open to any member where as the early Saturday one at my current club is 3 4ball slots and the same 12 members. As I said to the club allow them 4/5/6 slots which allows new members to integrate, if not then they are not a roll up.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
my membership this year was over £1100, though paid £920 as got a discount as I introduced my neighbour and paid in one (can also pay by DD). Imagine it'll go up 5%+.
My club is a country club attached to a big hotel, so i suspect rates will depend on the success of the hotel. gym etc.

I have enquired about joining another club (Mortonhall for those who may know, well at least on the waiting list) but still in two minds. Its £1300 p.a. plus £2600 JF. Its a far better course, and more of a "proper club" however I dont know anyone there and its 20-30mins away. Dalmahoy is 5 mins from my house and has two courses, plus have made some pals now. And sods laws its probably in the best condition its been in for a while (though still doesnt get any money spent on it for improvements)

one other thing people havent really discussed - given energy bills are going to be hitting £4000 - do you think there are going to be drops in membership purely due to the fact people cant afford it?
I definitely think there will be drops in membership next year if the fuel bills come to pass. The rise in fuel will take up the majority of peoples expendable incomes imho. It looks like mine are going to rise from about £200 last year to £600 during winter this year if my consumption is the same as last year. That's basically the family holiday money gone.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think the vast majority are between £600 and £950 in the North East. I know that Close House is about £2400 and Northumberland Park is about £1700 once you add on their levy and practice balls for the year. Not sure about the big resort courses like Slaley Hall, Matfen Hall etc.

Mine was £790 this year including county and golf england fee. We haven't had a rise in 3 years so I'm expecting one next year but if it's 10% or more I may have to have a serious think about it.

£950 up here at Matfen Hall

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
whats it like Moogie? friend is looking at joining there i think (may already have done so)

New owners purchased the property a little while back.
They've done nothing except continuously invest in every area of the business
Huge refurbishment on the Hall, hotel
Golf side
All new machinery purchased
More greens staff
The course is defenitely on the up
Refurb on the driving range and practice areas too
Has 3 good layout loops of 9
Very very easy to book a tee time, defenitely not fastest finger on the BRS like a lot of nearby local clubs
Very good 9 hole par 3 course
All set in a beautiful tranquil location
Big (y)......from me

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
New owners purchased the property a little while back.
They've done nothing except continuously invest in every area of the business
Huge refurbishment on the Hall, hotel
Golf side
All new machinery purchased
More greens staff
The course is defenitely on the up
Refurb on the driving range and practice areas too
Has 3 good layout loops of 9
Very very easy to book a tee time, defenitely not fastest finger on the BRS like a lot of nearby local clubs
Very good 9 hole par 3 course
All set in a beautiful tranquil location
Big (y)......from me

sounds great, just need the knee fixed so i can accept the invite i have :)