Subscriptions for membership 2023.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I looked at MH too but the jf put me off, I know a couple of members apparently the last couple of years the course hasn’t been great but it’s coming into its own now (I’ve not played it so can’t back any of that up) though the rough is supposed to be stupid thick at the moment and the members have complained so next year it’s to be kept in check.
If it were me, I’d stay with your current course(s), I love the wee course or at least some of the holes, the big course is a slog at times but always enjoyable.
Did anything come of looking into Archerfield? I inquired last year but the debenture cost was horrific

£2600 seems a bit silly for a joining fee. Not sure if thats the going rate in Edinburgh. I actually also prefer the big course at dalmahoy to mortonhall.

peld

Visit site
£2600 seems a bit silly for a joining fee. Not sure if thats the going rate in Edinburgh. I actually also prefer the big course at dalmahoy to mortonhall.
I think Dalmahoy East is the best designed course between East Lothian and Gleneagles. Such a shame it cant be maintained to the standards of some other local courses.

Albo

Visit site
What do you make of the new holes and changes made to the East? The 2 new holes while cracking golf holes don’t for me go with the flow of the rest of the course, the course while long is relatively open but the new ones quite the opposite. I also miss the 16th being a long 5 rather than a par 4.
I think for me the 3rd is my fav hole on the course.

peld

Visit site
What do you make of the new holes and changes made to the East? The 2 new holes while cracking golf holes don’t for me go with the flow of the rest of the course, the course while long is relatively open but the new ones quite the opposite. I also miss the 16th being a long 5 rather than a par 4.
I think for me the 3rd is my fav hole on the course.
I never joined until about 5 years ago so never knew the old layout. Completely get the two new holes (13&14) are very different from the rest of the course, but 14 especially is a stunning hole and tricky. Both offer a very different challenge (i now play hybrids off the tee for both as they are so tight, whereas you can be a bit wild on the rest of the course. However I think the two new holes look far better than older 17/18 - although I never played them you can still see how they were laid out, and i'd come away thinking they were very disappointing finishing holes having just played the 3 before them.

The current 16th is a beast (its the same length as 18 yet a par 4 vs 5), but usually you get the wind and run - ive hit several 300+yrd drives on it. However you can play anything from a 54* to a 3w for your second shot (when the wind blows in to you). Usually its a longish iron. I think having 16 as a par4 and 18 as a par5 is correct - usually 18 plays in to the wind is a good risk reward hole (or blow up hole!), I think its one of the very best finishing holes ive played from a design perspective (second to Trump Aberdeen)

Albo

Visit site
When I played Trump Aberdeen we played the 18th off the blacks, I hit a decent drive about 230ish and still had over 400 to go loved every minute of it.the 18th at your track I totally agree the whole hole is set up for risk / reward, you want to play it as a 3 shot hole 5i, 7i, PW will get you home but it temps you to go for it in 2, but the fairway narrows, the bunkers come into play, even the edge of the drop in the right wind condition, but if you pull off your drive you,be every chance of hitting the green in 2, just so much peril awaits if you get it wrong

The Lion

Visit site
Ours has gone up 10%. We where notified via a very blunt email. Like Oddsocks said, it's put itself in the firing line of better clubs. Unfortunately my current club have an inflated sence of self worth (they genuinely thinks it's the best course in Staffordshire). Think they're up for a shock.

Curious as to which club this is!?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Stoneham is going up 7.8% on all categories for next year, but with all the investment that has gone on there recently I wouldn’t complain at that.

This was a very good year to get fairway watering in, the course is looking fantastic!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hadn't heard that one before. Any rollup I've ever seen MUST allow any member to play. One of the clubs I just left this year had booked rollups on several days....as well as booked ladies morning. If it wasn't a lot shorter drive to my current club I would have stayed (8 min vs 25+).

Currently paying £1200 for Oakdale. I think it is around £1250 at Knaresborough, £929 at Ripon, Harrogate £1285+, Pannel ???, Moor Allerton £1450.

I'm tempted to do what I did last year and add Ripon as a 2nd club...£595.

Don't do it !!!! The flies, it's the flies !!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
5 day membership is only a thing at clubs that are struggling.
As golf is more popular, for now at least, I can understand clubs getting rid of that category.
Reduced subs for younger members is the way to go.

Why? and also, if I found a club near to me that didn't do this, I'd join.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Annes Old Links near me is constantly full and has a huge waiting list (7 years apparently, but I know a few who have got in quicker than that), but if you say you would have a 5 day membership it MIGHT get you in the door earlier.

Its certainly not a struggling club ?.

I find this very odd. Why? I'm glad you've asked. Because isn't Blackpool supposed to be a struggling area? I know it's in Lytham but still......

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's pretty visible in all of the news outlets that costs for everything have gone up, fuel, energy, chemicals, etc. Staff wages will need to increase, any golf club not advertising for staff right now?

A 5% increase only might send your club backwards in terms of finances and course conditions. Saying that, a 10% increase is a huge pill to swallow. I'm not sure I could justify 10%. Tough times for club finances and committees

Up the green fees, protect the members ?‍♂️
Yes but to play my golf I would give up other things.
Cinema ,meals out etc. 10% of mine is £130 so three meals a year.
Beans on toast is my fave anyway.;)

Red devil

Visit site
I find this very odd. Why? I'm glad you've asked. Because isn't Blackpool supposed to be a struggling area? I know it's in Lytham but still......
Blackpool and its centre are, its true, a little run down. But don’t let that fool you,there's a lot of money in its surrounding areas.
As where I live, it's seen better days but there's Hillside, S&A, Hesketh, all start off new members on 5 or 6 days and they're certainly not struggling clubs. Not sure of Formby or Royal Birkdale but probably the same.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blackpool and its centre are, its true, a little run down. But don’t let that fool you,there's a lot of money in its surrounding areas.
As where I live, it's seen better days but there's Hillside, S&A, Hesketh, all start off new members on 5 or 6 days and they're certainly not struggling clubs. Not sure of Formby or Royal Birkdale but probably the same.
Blackpool North Shore is a great golf club.
Definitely worth a visit.
There are some very expensive housing areas around out of the Town Centre.
Downside is there are speed cameras everywhere I have never seen so many.

Red devil

Visit site
Blackpool North Shore is a great golf club.
Definitely worth a visit.
There are some very expensive housing areas around out of the Town Centre.
Downside is there are speed cameras everywhere I have never seen so many.
Lancashire police love a mobile speed trap as well!! You're right though the road from Preston is awash with cameras
PS. Blackpool, Stanley Park is an Alistair Mackenzie designed course, well worth a do before rumours of houses on part of it comes to fruition.

Last edited: