Subscriptions for membership 2023.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Seriously? They didn't ask for ID as proof or anything?
Nope. My mate did it at a previous club to get one year so thought I might as well chance it. Doubt I'll be there long enough to get all the years worth and I spend my fair share in the bar and shop so doubt they are that bothered really.
Be interesting if I'm still there when old enough to join the seniors though

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can cope with a bit of a rise. I told them I was 5 years younger than I am when I signed up so get 9 years at young adult rate instead of 4.
Absolute masterstroke that was

What do you do about the WHS they also must have the wrong date of birth for you so that a 5 year wait to get in to some comps.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've just read about the latest potential rise in energy bills. No chance I will be joining a club next year at all.

I think a lot of the guys who have been moaning about full tee sheets for the last couple of years won't be too concerned next Summer. As for the bang average golf clubs that have been asking for joining fees and the like - in a year or two they'll be chucking out deals for new members galore.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
5 day membership is only a thing at clubs that are struggling.
As golf is more popular, for now at least, I can understand clubs getting rid of that category.
Reduced subs for younger members is the way to go.

D

Deleted member 15344

5 day membership is only a thing at clubs that are struggling.
As golf is more popular, for now at least, I can understand clubs getting rid of that category.
Reduced subs for younger members is the way to go.
umm why is it ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

Because they need the money.
No 5 day membership at any club I know that has a healthy membership.

?‍♂️ We have had a healthy membership for years and have 5 day membership - and I know many clubs the same

Why is it you think it’s just struggling clubs

5 day isn’t offered because clubs “need the money” - it’s an alternative for people that don’t play Sat and Sunday

Reactions: Val

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
?‍♂️ We have had a healthy membership for years and have 5 day membership - and I know many clubs the same

Why is it you think it’s just struggling clubs

5 day isn’t offered because clubs “need the money” - it’s an alternative for people that don’t play Sat and Sunday
OK, ask for a 5 day at the likes of Muirfield and see how that goes.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Because they need the money.
No 5 day membership at any club I know that has a healthy membership.

St Annes Old Links near me is constantly full and has a huge waiting list (7 years apparently, but I know a few who have got in quicker than that), but if you say you would have a 5 day membership it MIGHT get you in the door earlier.

Its certainly not a struggling club ?.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
St Annes Old Links near me is constantly full and has a huge waiting list (7 years apparently, but I know a few who have got in quicker than that), but if you say you would have a 5 day membership it MIGHT get you in the door earlier.

Its certainly not a struggling club ?.

That's good to know. Perhaps they are testing the resolve of people on their waiting list.

Albo

Visit site
my membership this year was over £1100, though paid £920 as got a discount as I introduced my neighbour and paid in one (can also pay by DD). Imagine it'll go up 5%+.
My club is a country club attached to a big hotel, so i suspect rates will depend on the success of the hotel. gym etc.

I have enquired about joining another club (Mortonhall for those who may know, well at least on the waiting list) but still in two minds. Its £1300 p.a. plus £2600 JF. Its a far better course, and more of a "proper club" however I dont know anyone there and its 20-30mins away. Dalmahoy is 5 mins from my house and has two courses, plus have made some pals now. And sods laws its probably in the best condition its been in for a while (though still doesnt get any money spent on it for improvements)

one other thing people havent really discussed - given energy bills are going to be hitting £4000 - do you think there are going to be drops in membership purely due to the fact people cant afford it?
I looked at MH too but the jf put me off, I know a couple of members apparently the last couple of years the course hasn’t been great but it’s coming into its own now (I’ve not played it so can’t back any of that up) though the rough is supposed to be stupid thick at the moment and the members have complained so next year it’s to be kept in check.
If it were me, I’d stay with your current course(s), I love the wee course or at least some of the holes, the big course is a slog at times but always enjoyable.
Did anything come of looking into Archerfield? I inquired last year but the debenture cost was horrific

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
MH is a bit of a mixed bag for me. Some really nice holes but some real duff ones.
I wouldn't pay what they are asking for what will be 8 months golf if you are lucky.

rystaman

Visit site
Didn't join one this year as was due to move cross-country mid-year and thought it wasn't worth it. That fell through because of everything that's going on so might be a tough one and have to consider the finances come March time after the energy companies wipe me out over winter

peld

Visit site
Craigielaw might be worth a look...
Bit too expensive IMO for what it is, and also a wait list. If I was joining a second club over in EL for the winter (realistically) id probably choose Longniddry which I really liked earlier this year.

I looked at MH too but the jf put me off, I know a couple of members apparently the last couple of years the course hasn’t been great but it’s coming into its own now (I’ve not played it so can’t back any of that up) though the rough is supposed to be stupid thick at the moment and the members have complained so next year it’s to be kept in check.
If it were me, I’d stay with your current course(s), I love the wee course or at least some of the holes, the big course is a slog at times but always enjoyable.
Did anything come of looking into Archerfield? I inquired last year but the debenture cost was horrific
I played MH this year, and was really surprised. I dont think its too bad in Winter - they dont have mats and Winter Greens are a last resort. Great condition too.

I think the East at Dalamhoy is probably the best layout and design in the area and a really good challenge - i just really wish the greens were kept at the standard that Burgess, Bruntfield, MH etc are. Its really good right now but spring/autumn you can see the impact of the high traffic, and it needs more greenkeepers. It doesnt get the money spent on it like it should too. Nevertheless given its so close i'd probably still be a member.

Archerfield - i'd love to join but I just couldnt make it work. Its just too far away to make it viable. I'm 2 miles/5 minutes door to door for Dalmahoy. Archerfield is 33 miles and via the bypass so could be an hour away in traffic. My workmate who lives in North Berwick just enquired about Archerfield (id be a member already if I were him) - looking at £3200 p.a. now Debentures are back up to about £13k (but always think there is room on them)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's good to know. Perhaps they are testing the resolve of people on their waiting list.

or maybe theyre doing what lots of members clubs have done for decades which is offer 5 day membership first then allow you to upgrade to 7 day a year or two later, see it less these days but clearly still happens at some established clubs