Golf membership. I'm now in the marginalised bracket. A reflection.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The reason why all clubs don't offer "flexible memberships" is simple - they can't afford to or take the risk.

Golf clubs need the finances to operate and to keep the course is the condition expected by the members - it's a product that if people want they must pay for.

There are always multiple Pay and Play courses all over the country that can offer cheap membership to allow people still to play and keep a HC

I understand it to a certain extent but if I pay £225 upfront to effectively just have a handicap, join comps and get to the course as many times as I can, which in my case and maybe the OP's case will be at a max 15/20 times during the year they will have made £525 at £15 a round. These figures are based on an enquiry at a local club near me the other day. I've talked myself out of it at the moment with winter coming up but may look again in March/April time.

There is a municipal that the members have recently taken on that I may look at joining but the condition of the course is not the best and the greens are pretty bad but for under £100 it may be worth it for a year.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The reason why all clubs don't offer "flexible memberships" is simple - they can't afford to or take the risk.

Golf clubs need the finances to operate and to keep the course is the condition expected by the members - it's a product that if people want they must pay for.

There are always multiple Pay and Play courses all over the country that can offer cheap membership to allow people still to play and keep a HC

Agree. Surely this would be an option? I visited an example recently, Basildon. A superb, tough, muni that hosts the PGA East Anglia champs and where you can pay and play and buy a golf club membership for £90 per year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually not that many muni options in that part of Lincolnshire. Nearest to me that I know of is 35 miles away

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They seam to think o don't have the time to play seven days take a 5 day membership Monday to Friday then if you want to pay on the weekend pay us lots of extra cash. Most people's free time is weekend s why not do a weekend membership

Offering a weekend membership would be very risky for clubs, as once again, they could lose money, mainly from the existing full members that they have. There will be a lot of people who pay a full membership, of say, £800, and work for a living, so their main playing time is at the weekend, or perhaps a few holes on early weekday mornings or evenings. If a club starts offering "weekend only" memberships, for say, £300, then those current members would scrap their full membership, go for the cheaper option, and clubs would lose income. As much as it is true that the majority of people can only play at weekends, clubs have a balancing act of keeping their current members and attracting new ones, so to them it's better keeping it as it is, and hoping that new members will just get a 7-day membership, which probably has something to do with 55% of clubs declining member numbers.

In respect to the OP, I think an "associate" membership is the best option, as it means you can keep your handicap, and play as often as your time allows you, but just pay a green fee. It may mean having to travel a bit further out of your area to find a club, but if you can only play every so often, the extra distance shouldn't be a problem, as opposed to what you're saving on subscription fees.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can relate to the OP here.

I am 35 with 2 young kids, been a member of a golf course for 6 years now. Its becoming harder to dedicate the time needed to progress and my enthusiasm is starting to wane.

Joined a new club this year and enjoyed the new challenge that has presented, but that enthusiasm is starting to wane now that I can no longer get out in the evenings after work.

Took up the sport to fill the void when I hung up the football boots(GAA) and it has served a purpose, but now I have 2 young kids( play tennis and rugby at weekend) its becoming harder to get 5 hours at a weekend to play. Have started running recently and also taking up a new sport where I can turn up and play every thursday at 8pm which is perfect as thats when the kids are in bed.

Will continue to play in comps and practice when I can, but the renewal is no longer a done deal. I may not renew in the new year.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Newark do a brilliant associate membership - for £260 per year, you can play Weds, Fri and Sunday with no green fee. You can use the range and the (fantastic) practice facilities EVERY DAY, get members discounts in the shop and bar.
It's a great deal for me, as I work in Newark, can go after work, and then play at my other club at weekends, and on days off.
I suspect if anyone approached a club with their own set of individual circumstances, related to work, family commitments etc that lots of them would try to accommodate you with something that suited both parties.
The problem of course is that they need enough "proper" members to keep the club going, and have to balance flexibility with their need to survive, and I suspect there will be lots of clubs struggling - where I am from, Scunthorpe, which has around 60,000 inhabitants, there at least 6 decent golf clubs within a 10 mile radius -Forest Pines, Elsham, Normanby, Ashby Decoy, Holme Hall and Grange Park and how they all survive with such competition surprises me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was not aware of that Newark deal. Do they have Sunday comps and Roll Ups. If so it could interest me as I am only down the road in Ropsley

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a real shame on such a great course. I'm reviewing options for next year so will look into Newbury's offers, West Berks is another possibility but just not as handy for me as Crookham.

West Berks is a good course, i was a member there for 2 years and its good value

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a real shame on such a great course. I'm reviewing options for next year so will look into Newbury's offers, West Berks is another possibility but just not as handy for me as Crookham.

If you consider crookham, let me know. we have an offer where we both get bar credit if you join! Ignore Mendie, West berks is a goat track for Bombers!