Golf membership. I'm now in the marginalised bracket. A reflection.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to suggest a pay and play course or a muni, there are certainly a good number of both up here and a lot are decent courses too.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very much feel the OPs post. I came very close to leaving the club this year. I played very little this summer as I just wanted me be around my little girl as much as possible before she started big school. I could pay and play and it would be cheaper than being a member but in the end I decided to mental write off the money as there is so much more to being a member than just paying to play golf. I always get a great feeling when in and around the club house, everyone says hello and passes the time with one another and all that good stuff. I shall stay but try to not feel like a slave to golf as I do truly love it so much.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very much feel the OPs post. I came very close to leaving the club this year. I played very little this summer as I just wanted me be around my little girl as much as possible before she started big school. I could pay and play and it would be cheaper than being a member but in the end I decided to mental write off the money as there is so much more to being a member than just paying to play golf. I always get a great feeling when in and around the club house, everyone says hello and passes the time with one another and all that good stuff. I shall stay but try to not feel like a slave to golf as I do truly love it so much.

That's true! I also think that there is so much more to a subscription than just the economy of it. To me, the perks of being a member make me forget about the money. Such as just being able to walk on when you want, and just have a practice 9-holes before or after work. On a Saturday morning when I check the competition board, I like to sit and have a cup of coffee and read the paper, or use my iPad with the club WiFi, whilst looking over the course. It's just not something you'd do as a non-subscriber, and it's something I really appreciate.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are some other benefits but the problem to me is that those with the least time to play golf tend to only be able to play at a weekend. As it is busiest clubs charge a premium by requiring a full 7 day membership nd so charge the most to those that use the facilities the least whereas those with more time to play can make the most of cheaper weekday rates and memberships. That in itself can make membership uneconomical for those working full time or with families. It will never happen but a reduced weekend only rate would appeal to many

DCB

Visit site
It's not a new problem, many of us have been in exactly the same situation in the past and it all boils down to how much you want to play the game and enjoy the benefits of club membership. Having worked away from home regularly in the past, a weekend where I spent half a Saturday on the golf course wasn't an ideal situation, but we got through it somehow.

I've never been one for working out how much a game of golf costs across the year, that would just be too scary at some times. I've been lucky and been able to keep membership and enjoyed all the benefits of using my club over the years.

Hope the OP works something out.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just rang a local club to me and they do offer flexi membership. £225 a year (April - March) and you have all the benefits of full membership but have to pay green fee's of about £14 in the summer and £10 in the winter for the comps or knocks. Seriously thinking about joining from now until the end of March as it would only be £112.50.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure that I see this as too much of a problem.

As someone who can no longer play running about sports due to a combination of injury, dotage and having to work shifts which include weekends, I am extremely jealous of the OP still being out there. I would absolutely recommend that he makes the very best of these and saves the golf for when they can no longer be enjoyed.

As for handicaps/mamberships etc, I doubt there are too many clubs that will have waiting lists when the time comes to rejoin. And nowadays a handicap is not really necessary to get on anywhere. TBH if the OP is not playing much it will hardly reflect his true potential anyway.

Playing so much sport that you can't fit in golf is defo a first world, young man's, problem !, Enjoy it while it lasts.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure that I see this as too much of a problem.

As someone who can no longer play running about sports due to a combination of injury, dotage and having to work shifts which include weekends, I am extremely jealous of the OP still being out there. I would absolutely recommend that he makes the very best of these and saves the golf for when they can no longer be enjoyed.

As for handicaps/mamberships etc, I doubt there are too many clubs that will have waiting lists when the time comes to rejoin. And nowadays a handicap is not really necessary to get on anywhere. TBH if the OP is not playing much it will hardly reflect his true potential anyway.

Playing so much sport that you can't fit in golf is defo a first world, young man's, problem !, Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ye but lets face it, we can always be talking about other world problems. I think the OP is just chatting about the somewhat frustrating situation where there are just not enough hours in the day or days in the week. Now that is a first world problem.... so much to do, so little time to do it.

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
That's the same sort of deal i am on, however i am still not using it!!

Normal 7 day membership is i think around 1300. I pay 525 a year + irrigation fee, bar credit etc that works out at 50 a month, for that i get handicap admin, entry to comps and 20 rounds. after i use my allocation, i pay a discounted rate green fee. So in my case, the club have done everything they can really, its my fault i am not getting true value from it. I have about 15 green fee tickets to use still!! So only about 80 quid a round so far this year!! (members guest rate midweek is 23! LOL)

That's a real shame on such a great course. I'm reviewing options for next year so will look into Newbury's offers, West Berks is another possibility but just not as handy for me as Crookham.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really does seem to be a balancing act for golf clubs and not an easy one. You could introduce schemes to maintain some form of income for people like the OP but then how much revenue would they lose from other members who do not play that much and would be attracted to a cheaper option. Maybe it is better for the clubs to lose members like the OP than it is to put forward an option that may see dozens of members paying full whack for their golf change to a cheaper scheme allowing for reduced rounds or green fees.

What I do know is that most clubs that I have been to have a distinct lack of members in the 30-45 age group and the OP pretty much sums up why. Nothing to do with golf, the game or any of the other reasons that are put forward for reduced membership numbers, it is simply a matter of golf going up against other commitments and losing.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I do know is that most clubs that I have been to have a distinct lack of members in the 30-45 age group and the OP pretty much sums up why. Nothing to do with golf, the game or any of the other reasons that are put forward for reduced membership numbers, it is simply a matter of golf going up against other commitments and losing.

Yes that's the problem that myself and a few friends are in, the work, family and golf balance never seems level.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes that's the problem that myself and a few friends are in, the work, family and golf balance never seems level.

Getting this more and more myself. People are less and less understanding of me wanting to ringfence one morning at the weekend to play golf. Wife, family and friends all want to arrange things that mean that I do not get my weekend round in. The only one who is the oppposite is my father in law who always says 'we can arrange to meet up mid afternoon so as Greg has time to get his round of golf in'. Will see how it goes over winter but if it gets to the stage where I cannot get at least 3 rounds in a month then it will be time to give up my membership, join the local 9 hole course to maintain a handicap and give me somewhere to have a knock and play opens and as a guest at various courses.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It really does seem to be a balancing act for golf clubs and not an easy one. You could introduce schemes to maintain some form of income for people like the OP but then how much revenue would they lose from other members who do not play that much and would be attracted to a cheaper option. Maybe it is better for the clubs to lose members like the OP than it is to put forward an option that may see dozens of members paying full whack for their golf change to a cheaper scheme allowing for reduced rounds or green fees.

Clubs in my area are definitely aware of the lack of young people, as some fellows I know are involved in the management of some local clubs, and subsequently clubs are offering alternative fee options. Such as reduced rates for under 35s, very cheap student and junior rates, and credit systems. The only thing they can do is make it less of a financial burden, so that people with work and family commitments can play once every couple of weeks, and still not have to worry about how much it is hypothetically costing them.

Taken from the "England Golf - Golf Club Membership Questionnaire 2014", each club has on average 55% of members over 55 years old. Only 10% are between 19 and 34, although the smallest group is 26-29 years, with only 2.8%. On average, only 3.4% of golf club members are my age, between 20 and 25 :(

On average, over the last 2 years, 77 people have joined a club, but 85 people have left. In total, 55% of clubs have seen a decrease in membership numbers, and only 21% have seen an increase. This is quite scary! :mmm:

This document is a good read, and opens your eyes to what is the current state of golf clubs and their memberships.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The thing is if everyone said; i only want to play at weekend s so only want to pay for that and expect it cheaper than 7 day membership, then everyone under 40 wanting it cheap along with the people who play once in a while so want a cheaper alternative and have a handicap, etc, etc.

Most golf clubs would go out of business.

it takes a fair amount of money to run a golf course and without people paying full membership, it would be unsustainable.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The thing is if everyone said; i only want to play at weekend s so only want to pay for that and expect it cheaper than 7 day membership, then everyone under 40 wanting it cheap along with the people who play once in a while so want a cheaper alternative and have a handicap, etc, etc.

Most golf clubs would go out of business.

it takes a fair amount of money to run a golf course and without people paying full membership, it would be unsustainable.
Fair point.

However, I am now spending no money at the club at all so they have less now.

Working people don't get much chance to play during the week and weekends are pretty much the only option. Clubs aren't doing enough about this demographic in my opinion.

Golf has the problem of contracting you in for a year. The cost associated means that you almost have to concentrate on golf alone to justify the expense which I am not willing to do at the moment.

I would, however, like to maintain an active handicap so that I can enter open comps etc. and play some competitive golf.

Looks like I will just have to wait it out and so will the club.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair point.

However, I am now spending no money at the club at all so they have less now.

Working people don't get much chance to play during the week and weekends are pretty much the only option. Clubs aren't doing enough about this demographic in my opinion.

Golf has the problem of contracting you in for a year. The cost associated means that you almost have to concentrate on golf alone to justify the expense which I am not willing to do at the moment.

I would, however, like to maintain an active handicap so that I can enter open comps etc. and play some competitive golf.

Looks like I will just have to wait it out and so will the club.

So what would your solution be?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think that I, or the OP, are looking for a weekend membership.

Rather, we're looking for something that lets you play a dozen times a year at a reasonable cost. One course near me charges £175/year, plus £13/round. If you play a dozen times, that's about £27.50/round. Their non member green fee is £19.50/round.

Not too bad, but why not charge £220, and allow up to 12 rounds in the year? Then its £18/round, so a bit cheaper than a walk up green fee, and it'd be worth joining, it's not clogging up the course with members on the cheap (could even limit it to weekday play if they wanted) and the club have your money for the year.

Would it work? If not, why?

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just had the bill for next year's boat storage (in Poole) when I haven't used it once in the last one, it reminds me that it's down to me to prioritise rather than the boat company to price to make such decisions easy (boats are a particular problem as you have to keep them somewhere or give them away :()

The relevance is that there are the choices out there for just about everyone, as illustrated by some of the responses.
There have never been so many accommodations available from introductory, intermediate, free children (even free grandchildren I believe), flexible, handicap + p&p, joint....

In fact I would suggest that far from golf clubs marginalising players it's the player's who are marginalising the club's as they choose to try and fit in all the other sports and leisure activities and still play competitive golf (it's never been easier to play social golf either - alone, pairs, fours or groups at just about any course in the country (Queenwood excepted).

Now, it's definitely the case that you can't play all the club's whenever you want for a couple of quid wearing whatever you wish and with free beer in the provided buggies (Carlsberg Golf) but generally people have never had it so good in this area.

Probably the only group that seen any tightening is the Seniors where most used to have a reduction but many no longer do, arguing that this group gets rather good value out of 5 day membership as it is!

Always a shame when someone decides to give up their membership, but things change over time

PS 6 and 7 sound excellent ages to get actively involved in the game; wish I had that opportunity rather than being dragged round village cricket matches every weekend in the summer finding ways to occupy my time.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think that I, or the OP, are looking for a weekend membership.

Rather, we're looking for something that lets you play a dozen times a year at a reasonable cost. One course near me charges £175/year, plus £13/round. If you play a dozen times, that's about £27.50/round. Their non member green fee is £19.50/round.

Not too bad, but why not charge £220, and allow up to 12 rounds in the year? Then its £18/round, so a bit cheaper than a walk up green fee, and it'd be worth joining, it's not clogging up the course with members on the cheap (could even limit it to weekday play if they wanted) and the club have your money for the year.

Would it work? If not, why?

There are a huge range of options, with 7 day full and a one off green fee being the two extemes. Anything between can be made to work but if Handicap and comp rights ae involved there are union fees, there may be insurance and there's always administration costs! Having worked through most of them within the club the key issues are -
1. Not having too many options - it gets too complicated for everyone. The ones you quote will appeal to the 20 round people which is increasingly seen as the cut off point between some form of membership and greenfees. Less is the domain of club + p&p.
2. Balancing the playing rights as well as the costs (access at difficult times such as good weather winter weekends) can be a very difficult issue - if you really want to annoy the full price members permit cheap offers at such a period when demand overall exceeds supply).

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So what would your solution be?
Could be those in my situation (lapsing members) are put on a holding list (so we don't have to go through the rigmarole of the application process again). We pay our EGU affiliation fee and pay guest rates to play the course and put in cards for handicap. The number of cards could be limited to 6 as an example (usually the number of times you can sign in a guest over a year). This would keep our handicap current. Keep us involved in the club and still make money off those who would otherwise not going to contribute at all. A premium could be paid for each card which is marked, checked and uploaded to ensure no loss to the club?